I am starting to sit down and do chromatic exercies up and down the neck. However, my wrist constantly hurts. I often have to take breaks, and strech my wrists, before I can play again. Is there any way to stop the pain? Please help
It might be an issue with A: Posture/B:Technique/C:Injury.

Would it be too much to ask if you could post a link to you playing these exercises, at whatever speed?
If you have a teacher, have them look at your wrist position. If you don't, get a lesson or two and have them look at your wrist position.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Is it only when you play your guitar or is it just whenever you move your wrist awkwardly?

That could be it, because if you're injured you'll have to go to the doctor.
Yes! Stop playing right now! This pain is not normal and means you are playing with too much tension and/or with bad posture.

Take a read through the first link in my sig and do not play again until the pain is gone. When you do, take it very slowly and make sure your technique is perfect as you practice.
Quote by Orbit91
It might be an issue with A: Posture/B:Technique/C:Injury.

Would it be too much to ask if you could post a link to you playing these exercises, at whatever speed?

Currently I am playing basic 1-2-3-4 up and down the stings. I am playing 16th notes at 112 BMP, which isn't that fast.

I think I worded it wrong though. They don't constantly hurt, but just on a fairly consitent basis. The pain never lasts for long, but I end up pausing my playing often to recover. If im just jamming/playing riffs or whatever, my wrists don't hurt. Its only when I am doing repetetive exercies. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do to strenghen my wrist? Or fretting fingers, for that matter.
Last edited by slayer1516 at Nov 8, 2008,
It Might not be bad posture but just undeveloped stamina. We really need a video of ur playing to be sure.

Preferably upclose from ur wrist.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
It Might not be bad posture but just undeveloped stamina. We really need a video of ur playing to be sure.

Preferably upclose from ur wrist.

Ill see if I can get a video up
Quote by slayer1516
Ill see if I can get a video up

Good thing If u put it in this post, I will definately take a look at it.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
google some carpal tunnel syndrome exercises / stretches. i used to have it from computers too much, works with guitar too.
Quote by slayer1516

What has been said is true. Your hand is way to tensed up. Start again and slower.

I can see and hear it. Your hand doesn't flow. It goes very abrupt up and down. In the time between notes, ur hand should already be moving towards the next note.

Start of slow and stuff. For me practice funky 16th note riffs is a good exercise/warm up to loosen ur hand.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 9, 2008,
All you can see in the vid is your picking hand. Mostly, that looked OK (could be a lot
worse). Your extended fingers looked a bit stiff. You might want to try using the
"relaxed curl". If you feel that's turning into a clenched fist, go back to the extended
fingers. Keep changing them up like that so you don't give one tension or another
the chance to become ingrained. Eventually that might help to zero in a relaxed state
on one or the other positions.
Yeah, as far as I can see, you are gripping the pick too hard, pushing through the strings too hard and those extended fingers must be really painful. If you watch my posture vid you can see how I think a pick should be held.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
What has been said is true. Your hand is way to tensed up. Start again and slower.

I can see and hear it. Your hand doesn't flow. It goes very abrupt up and down. In the time between notes, ur hand should already be moving towards the next note.

Is there anything specific I can do to improve my picking?

Thanks for the advice everyone
if you have pain in both wrists it could be a problem with your neck, probably nothing serious, just posture and tension. I'm seeing a physiotherapist now about pain in my wrists

the best thing you can do is go and see someone about this
Quote by Freepower
Use the very tip of the pick.
Small precise motions.
Focus on accents and timing.
Keep loose at all times.
Practice odd co-ordinations as well as straight scales.

Thanks sounds good
and dont be afraid to slow down as much as needed to be able to play relaxed!!!

it took me some time to really get that, slow doooooooooooooown and you'll be rewarded!
Quote by Freepower
Use the very tip of the pick.
Small precise motions.
Focus on accents and timing.
Keep loose at all times.
Practice odd co-ordinations as well as straight scales.

This.

I would like to add that u shouldn't practice to hard. It will tense up. Practice stuff for about half an hour and play a song after that or do some ear training or watch a vid.

Take a rest everytime u played something well. This way ur head can absorb it better.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Thanks for the advice everyone, I am going to take your advice and take it slow, that way when I get back up to what I was playing in the video, I will be able to play it cleanly, smoothly and with no pain.