So i was fooling around on my guitar and found this -at least i think- amazing scale. Its very easternish eygptian sounding, kind of like the harmonic minor. The step pattern goes... root half whole half whole half whole half.
example would be
D Eb F# G A Bb C#
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
I think it's a "mode" derived from harmonic minor. But I have no guitar infront of me so I can't be sure.

Edit:

IT's a G- harmonic minor with a raised C (C#)

If u played this over a chord progression With G as the Key (for example G minor chord (progression))

You would play a Gharmonic minor with the blues note (C# in this case being the flat 5th of a G (pentatonic scale/Blues scale)

It's basically a Hybrid scale:

G hamonic minor with the "blues" note .

It depends on the Harmonic context (which is basically the case with almost all scales)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 8, 2008,
A scale frueqently reffered to by three common names

a) The Double Harmonic
b) The Gypsy
c) The Byzantine (as above) though I think I've heard the Byzantine being used in refference to other non-western scales.

The formula for the Gypsy/Double Harmonic is: 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7

The easist way (I see it) is as a Phrygian Dominant w/ the leading tone restored. Giving you two V chords, a tonic Dominant, and a V7(b5)

The reason its not used much in tonal music, is because of the two chromatic tones in a row.

1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7

Going from the natural 7th, there is a half-step between the 7th and octave, and another half-step between the tonic and b2.

The other reason its not used much in tonal music, and this is a sub-factor of the reason above.

Try building chords (diatonically) from this scale, and you'll find some pretty rediculous chords.

i.e E F G# A B C D# E

E G# B D# - Maj7
F A C E - Maj7
G# B D# F - Min w/bb7
A C E G# - Min/Maj7
B D# F A - Dom7b5
C E G# B - Maj7#5
D# F A C - This is the real clincher. 1 bb3(2) b5 6
Far better seen as F7 (3rd Inversion)

I mean, its not too say you CANT use these chords for harmony. The chords are far removed from any normal Major/Minor harmony. So they will certian sound very different.

Melodically this scale is usefull, as you have already said, it contains a fantastic eastern sound. This is because it mixes modes of the harmonic minor.

Giving two min 3rd intervals. The two notes with the min 3rd/Aug 2nd, in between them on a harmonic minor scale, are the only notes altered from a straight Aeolian scale.

These are the notes (too me) that make the harmonic minor and its modes sound middle eastern.

If you look, this gypsy scale contains the min 3rd interval, or a Phrygian Dominant scale (fifth mode of the harmonic minor) and the min 3rd in the harmonic minor.

The min 3rd in the Phrygian Dominant scale (1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7) comes between b2 and 3.

(really Augmented 2nd) but its still enharmonic

This scale has the 1 b2 3. So its including the Min 3rd (middle eastern sounding interval) from the Phrygian Dominant.

In the melodic minor scale, the Min3rd/Augmented 2nd is between b6 and Nat 7th.

If you notice our Gypsy scale has these tones too.

1 b2 3 - - b6 7

The rest of the notes besides those with the Min 3rd (middle eastern sounding interval) are filled in from your normal Phrygian Dominant/Harmonic Minor scale.

i.e 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7

Hope this has been comprehensive (sorta)

Here is lastly a link so the scale.

http://www.freakguitar.com/gypsy.html
Last edited by Galvanise69 at Nov 9, 2008,