Ok my 18th is coming up in a few months and recently i've been looking at getting a new guitar.

I've been set on getting an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but i've been saving an awful lot of money recently and i can't decide whether or not to go halfs with the rents to get a Gibson LP Standard.

I would absolutely love a Gibson but i can't decide whether it's worth spending all the money i've earnt on a guitar when i could get a similar guitar for a fraction of the price.

So i'm asking for opinions... I know some people despise Gibson for being overpriced but i think deep down they wish they had one. The opportunity is there for me i just can't decide.

Thanks
Dan
You want a Gibson, yes? You can afford it, yes? Well, if you can justify the price of a Gibson, by all means get one. Just make sure you don't get a lemon.
epi les pauls are great guitars....

same p'ups as the gibby stuidos

the only real difference is the craftsmanship and its not that big of a deal

get the epi and an awesome amp, besides...if you gig...you wouldnt want to scratch a 2000 dollar guitar up would you?
The big difference I find is in the playability, I bought a Gibson lespaul standard this summer it has the 50's neck on it, absolutely loved it.
When I returned to the shop I tried another standard but with the 60's neck and I hated it, so I'd say pick one and try it, but I'd still go with the gibson if you can afford it
Quote by avALanchE1507
epi les pauls are great guitars....

the only real difference is the craftsmanship and its not that big of a deal

get the epi and an awesome amp, besides...if you gig...you wouldnt want to scratch a 2000 dollar guitar up would you?

I don't gig and i already have a amp i love, Vox AC30
Quote by avALanchE1507

Nope. False. Wrong.

To put it lightly. The Epis have Alnico Classics, and the Gibson Studios have better quality pickups, albeit the cheap ones of the Gibson line.

If you have the money, maybe go for a Gibson Les Paul Trad., but don't limit yourself to just one guitar; you might fall in love with a Strat or a PRS or something of the sort.

If you have the money, go play some guitars at your local guitar shop, see what you like best. Compare the Epi to the Gibby and things like that.

EDIT: And I concur with the AC30 statement, they are one of the best amps out there, and they're not even that expensive!!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Hm, for the price of a gibson Standard you could get a tricked out Carvin CS6, which with same/similar features as the LP, costs about $900 less.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You'd be better off getting an Epi Elitist Les Paul and a great amp (or effects if you already have one of those) than getting a Gibson Standard, if you ask me...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Iceman 420
You want a Gibson, yes? You can afford it, yes? Well, if you can justify the price of a Gibson, by all means get one. Just make sure you don't get a lemon.

+Win.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by Raijouta
You'd be better off getting an Epi Elitist Les Paul and a great amp (or effects if you already have one of those) than getting a Gibson Standard, if you ask me...

I personally second that.

If you think a Gibson is all that, go for it because if I had the money, I probably would.

If you want to save up some money, go for effects and/or just don't blow it out, get the Epiphone Elitist LP.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Last edited by RR787 at Nov 8, 2008,
I'd definatly go for the epi elitist. It'll save you some cash and it's worlds apart from the regular epi lp standard. Long tenon neck, bone nut, upgraded hardware, etc.
A lot of people think that it stands up equally or better than a lot of gibson lp standards.
Quote by sleazydan
Ok my 18th is coming up in a few months and recently i've been looking at getting a new guitar.

I've been set on getting an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but i've been saving an awful lot of money recently and i can't decide whether or not to go halfs with the rents to get a Gibson LP Standard.

I would absolutely love a Gibson but i can't decide whether it's worth spending all the money i've earnt on a guitar when i could get a similar guitar for a fraction of the price.

So i'm asking for opinions... I know some people despise Gibson for being overpriced but i think deep down they wish they had one. The opportunity is there for me i just can't decide.

Thanks
Dan

thats why I dont want one...they're way overpriced and I have issues with paying that much for a guitar that just says "Gibson"

PRS SC245 is what I would get...similar prices I belive. but if you rly want an original LP, get the Epi and some pups if u need and have ur rents get a good amp or something...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I second the Epiphone Elitist. It'll beat the Studio hands-down as far as quality goes, for the same price.
You can swap out the stock pickups on the Epiphones with seymour duncans and it will sound pretty close. Get the 59ers for the classic sound. It all depends on how much cash you want to spend.