Quote by destijl
i swear broken chords are just arpeggios :S

I am referring to things like

-

I call it broken because its missing the b on the a string. Single note arppegio passages are not a problem.

another one would be:
-
-
-
-
Quote by Freepower
Mute the strings in between.

I tried but for this broken chord you get a lot of muddled percussive sound from the muted strings. This one is causing me particular problems:

-
-
-
-

I guess the hardest part with doing broken chords is the finger independence. You really need good control to keep less pressure on some fingers while fretting other strings.
Last edited by SuperFlanker at Nov 9, 2008,
whenever I see notation like that (broken strings) I use the edge of any of my left hand's finger to make the lower strings dead strings.
For that one you could just finger pick it.

Also, broken chords usually refers to arpeggios so you might want call it something else (although I'm not sure what).
Excellent thanks for the advice. I intuitively thought fingerpicking, but since I never read anything about it I assumed muting was the preferred approach. My speed has increased greatly and I don't get that annoying thunk sound from the muted string.

Do we have a tutorial on this hybrid technique on UG?
+1 on fingerpicking

I've tried hybrid picking, but I suck at it (I've seen it done effienctly though). Fingerpicking is better (IMO) because it you want that pick sort of sound, instead of the dull thud fingers give, you can grow your nails.

I'm always being teased about my girly nails. Didn't really help when a friend wanted to put her pink nail polish on it.
Yeah, you're gonna want to hybrid pick. I can't do it myself (one note always overpowers the other), but I know a guy who can hybrid pick a lot of stuff, and he can't fingerpick worth a damn. So it's a rather useful technique.
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
Quote by SuperFlanker
An example would be:

http://www.guitaretab.com/g/guns-n-roses/7593.html

The picking is only half the problem which I seem to have solved somewhat, I seem to have the hardest times muting the strings that shouldn't be played. I can't find a lesson on this on UG.

why the hell are you getting tabs from that other site?

Judas......
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
why the hell are you getting tabs from that other site?

Judas......
Haha! Good Point.
Si