So, I own a Marshall AVT150H. It has a solid state poweramp and a tube preamp. It is a decent sounding amp, and very reliable ( that is why i bought it, for gigging). Anyway, recently it has been hissing a bit and the distortion sounds like crap. I am pretty sure the tube is going, it is the original one, and it is about 3 years old. I have never bought tubes and would appreciate the opinion of those of you that have a great deal of experience in picking out a tube based on the desired sound. I am looking for something that will give the amp a gritty sound, appropriate for death and black metal, yet still be really clear and keep notes intelligible. It needs to be a 12ax7 tube, I just need a recommendation on brand. I do enjoy the sound of a mesa ( I just dont have the cash...College Student ) but I don't want to buy their re-branded tubes. What tubes do they use?
Also, and sorry this is so wordy, is their any type of biasing or calibration needed for a marshall valvestate amp, or is it a simple case of switching the tube?
Gear: Carvin Bel Air 212 50W, Carvin X100B 50watt, Orange Dark Terror, Egnater Rebel 30, ESP Eclipse-II, ESP Custom Shop Viper Bass, LTD SC-500, LTD Alexi-600, LTD KH-202, Modded Jackson RR3, P.O.S. Warlock.
how much you willing to spend
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Depends, how good is the tube. I would like to spend around $20. I am not looking for the grail of tone, just something that has a lot of bite and would make the amp head sound pretty brutal. I guess i am saying i dont want to spend $75 on a solid state head for 1 tube.
Gear: Carvin Bel Air 212 50W, Carvin X100B 50watt, Orange Dark Terror, Egnater Rebel 30, ESP Eclipse-II, ESP Custom Shop Viper Bass, LTD SC-500, LTD Alexi-600, LTD KH-202, Modded Jackson RR3, P.O.S. Warlock.
Last edited by Rendeath at Nov 8, 2008,