ok. Im really having trouble deciding guitar haha as you can tell by my threads.

I was thinking either an epi lp studio or g400, but now im starting to think a fender standard strat HSS.

Do humbuckers sound good for blues? if they do then ill prolly get a studio or g400, but ive been thinkin maybe single coils would be better for blues? are they?

Then if i get an hss, i can play rockish stuff, and bluesy stuff? right?

Is the $400 fender standard strat a good guitar, and should i get hss or sss? Do single coils sound bad for rock? It just seems kinda weird to get a strat with humbucker haha. But if singles don't sound good for rock, i guess i'll get an hss.
I vote HSS. Neck singles are ballin for blues.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
I vote HSS. Neck singles are ballin for blues.

K thanks. Which would be better for amp, roland cube 30 or vox valvetronix?
Quote by nathanlamb
K thanks. Which would be better for amp, roland cube 30 or vox valvetronix?

id go vox. also it depends many blues players use single coils. but for example bb king plays with humbuckers.
and im not even sure if i can go that high, if i can, whats a good amp under $175 or so?
Listen to Albert King.
Listen to B.B. King.

It's entirely preference whether you use 'buckers or single coils for blues.
I'd take the Les Paul for sheer expressivess, but...

Blues isn't about the playing or the instrument. It's about the feel. I mean, listen to Seasick Steve!
Fender strat. Have you seen all of the blues players that play it? Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, etc.

Strats work well for just about everything, except metal, but that is a matter of personal taste.
Quote by ZeppelinRulez77
Fender strat. Have you seen all of the blues players that play it? Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, etc.

Strats work well for just about everything, except metal, but that is a matter of personal taste.

Hendrix and Clapton both used 'buckers at some point in their careers.

And I wouldn't credit Hendrix with having an archetypal classic blues tone >>

Really, get whatever you want. Strats will enforce your emotive note delivery with bite, 'buckers will give you deep, rich tone.
Quote by Rock Pig
Hendrix and Clapton both used 'buckers at some point in their careers.

And I wouldn't credit Hendrix with having an archetypal classic blues tone >>

Really, get whatever you want. Strats will enforce your emotive note delivery with bite, 'buckers will give you deep, rich tone.

hendrix barely ever used HBs, and listen to red house, hey joe, wind cries mary, ect. hendrix had blues tone.
and clapton uses single coil more than humbucker, i think he used his SG for songs like sunshine of your love, but not sure so no one flame me on that.
HSS would be good but if its blues your looking for then you should get SSS, BB king and all of them used those gibson classic humbucker type pickups, so theres are a little different.
but its up to you
Quote by stratdud39
dont get an HSS, get the SSS, and strats work great with metal you just need a metal amp to zeppelinRulez.

why not hss? Then i can use the humbucker for deeper rock stuff?
get an SSS strat, or even better, an Epiphone Dot of some type, or another brand of hollow/semihollow bodied guitar. and Epi. valve jr. is more bluesy than the amps you mentioned, and is fairly cheap. humbuckers are good for blues on a semi hollowbody or a hollowbody, not so good on a solidbody (except for really light solidbodies, ie. korina bodies a la Albert King's Flying V) and single coils are good on a solid body (like strats and teles) or a semi/full hollow body (like gibsons and gibson knockoffs with P90s)

also, SSS is good for almost any type of rock (not br00talz), many rock bands use SSS strats. and a semihollow guitar with humbuckers (like epi dot or some thing) can do rock with out any problems.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Last edited by skvvisgaar at Nov 8, 2008,
Quote by stratdud39

and clapton uses single coil more than humbucker, i think he used his SG for songs like sunshine of your love, but not sure so no one flame me on that.

He used his SG for the whole Cream era, if I'm not mistaken. And his Cream work is IMO his best.
And, I'm not flaming. Perhaps I came across as a little harsh.
Quote by Rock Pig
He used his SG for the whole Cream era, if I'm not mistaken. And his Cream work is IMO his best.
And, I'm not flaming. Perhaps I came across as a little harsh.

you didnt, i just mean in general.
Quote by skvvisgaar
get an SSS strat, or even better, an Epiphone Dot of some type, or another brand of hollow/semihollow bodied guitar. and Epi. valve jr. is more bluesy than the amps you mentioned, and is fairly cheap. humbuckers are good for blues on a semi hollowbody or a hollowbody, not so good on a solidbody (except for really light solidbodies, ie. korina bodies a la Albert King's Flying V) and single coils are good on a solid body (like strats and teles) or a semi/full hollow body (like gibsons and gibson knockoffs with P90s)

also, SSS is good for almost any type of rock (not br00talz), many rock bands use SSS strats. and a semihollow guitar with humbuckers (like epi dot or some thing) can do rock with out any problems.

Does the dot stuido just sound good for blues? or does it sound good for other stuff also?
Quote by skvvisgaar

Ok. I don't want to play metal, you said many rock bands use sss? why would they use sss or hss? Sorry im such a noob haha.

Just confused.

And im not 100% sure i can even spend up to 400 on guitar, it might have to be less than $350. Any recommendations???? Are the squier vintage modified or classic vibe better than a mim strat?
They're not better, but they're pretty good, from what i hear. I have a standard squier, it's pretty good too. It all depends on what you like, a HB will BUCK HUM at higher volumes/gain, but listen to some hendrix, foxy lady, purple haze, and singles sound great with a fuzz. Try out both, it's a personal preference thing really.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Use what sounds best to you.

Some prefer the 'bucker blues of Freddie King, early Clapton, and Duane Allman. Some others prefer single coils a la Hendrix, SRV, and Buddy Guy. Maybe you want a P-90 guitar like T-Bone Walker? Maybe one with mini 'buckers like Johnny Winter? Just try out guitars. The amp you have will play a MUCH bigger factor in your blues tone.
anyone else know much about classic vibe and vintage modified? if i don't have enough for a mim?
I've heard quite a bit of good about the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series, but they all have their lemons. Play before you buy.
There are no genre limitations between 'buckers and single coils. Single coils won't do br00tAlz or whatever, but then again 'buckers lack that extraordinary expressive, dynamic "twang."
Iron Maiden use SSS. With that in mind, put your preconceptions aside and pick whatever you think sounds best.
Quote by Rock Pig
There are no genre limitations between 'buckers and single coils. Single coils won't do br00tAlz or whatever, but then again 'buckers lack that extraordinary expressive, dynamic "twang."
Iron Maiden use SSS. With that in mind, put your preconceptions aside and pick whatever you think sounds best.

Ok thanks.

Anyone know which is better for rock and blues, classic vibe or vintage modified?
Quote by nathanlamb
Ok thanks.

Anyone know which is better for rock and blues, classic vibe or vintage modified?

Classic Vibe, I'd say. Vintage modified are, well, modified. So you're not getting that classic "vibe."

If you see what I mean
Quote by Rock Pig
Classic Vibe, I'd say. Vintage modified are, well, modified. So you're not getting that classic "vibe."

If you see what I mean

haha. Which classic vibe should i get if i get one, the 50's or 60's?
Quote by Iceman 420
I've heard quite a bit of good about the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series, but they all have their lemons. Play before you buy.

Im kind of new to electric guitar haha, i don't really know what to check for. How do i know whether something is a "lemon" or not?
Quote by nathanlamb
Im kind of new to electric guitar haha, i don't really know what to check for. How do i know whether something is a "lemon" or not?

Playing it of course. Are the tuners stable? Crackling when you roll down the pots? Comfortable? Stuff like that.
Quote by Iceman 420
Playing it of course. Are the tuners stable? Crackling when you roll down the pots? Comfortable? Stuff like that.

What the crap are pots???

When i was at guitar center i just would play one, play all the frets, check for any buzz stuff like that, but thats it haha
Quote by nathanlamb
What the crap are pots???

When i was at guitar center i just would play one, play all the frets, check for any buzz stuff like that, but thats it haha

The volume and tone knobs.
for like 3 doors down or three days grace type of rock, which is better, the sss or hss?
Quote by Iceman 420
HSS. But maybe a guitar with two 'buckers maybe better.

www.rondomusic.com

Check out the Agiles.

So maybe go back to my original idea of a lp studio or g400 for general rock, and some blues?
Quote by Iceman 420
Yeah, but if it were between the LP Studio and G-400, I'd go with the G-400.

Not to start a different conversation haha, but why? when i was playing them, i like the weight and feel of the lp better, whats better about g400, besides the fact that theres more of a chance i can get it since its $50 bucks cheaper
Quote by nathanlamb
Not to start a different conversation haha, but why? when i was playing them, i like the weight and feel of the lp better, whats better about g400, besides the fact that theres more of a chance i can get it since its $50 bucks cheaper

When I played the two side by side, I felt that the G-400 had better quality over all. Of course, it might be different for you. Just get what you think plays and sounds good.
now im startin to think a strat again, im really getting into blues, but its not the only thing i'll be playing. I don't want just rock , i like the bright twangy-ness of strats for blues. But i want it to handle some rock and sound semigood distorted haha.

Im torn.

SSS strat, hss strat, g400, or lp studio????!!!!!!!!! which one!?!?!?!?
sounds like you want the HSS strat...

single coils can't do modern rock tones like three days grace... and when you're playing blues you most likely wont be using the bridge pickup anyway
yeah, blues use the neck, middle can do like clapton or classic rock and then bradge bucker for modern rock. if you want versatility, HSS, classic Tone, SSS
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Quote by HibyPrime
sounds like you want the HSS strat...

single coils can't do modern rock tones like three days grace... and when you're playing blues you most likely wont be using the bridge pickup anyway

So im thinking ima get hss lol.

I might not have enough for a fender though, is the vintage modified squier hss any good?