can anyone tell me which mesa (used) under 850 USD has the smoothest lead? i cant decide over a f-50 or dc-5 or any other mesa. or any amp really that has great cleans and even better high gain.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Recto-verb 50. Never played ANY amp that I have like better (This includes $1800+)
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
i love my F-50 man. i THINK i played a DC-5...and the cleans sounded a little thin, but it wasnt my amp and the owner wasnt around and I wasnt about to mess with the EQ with the small amount of time i had to play on it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Wrathlegion
Recto-verb 50. Never played ANY amp that I have like better (This includes $1800+)

is it most excellent for satch or paul gilbert's technical difficulties tones?

Rig:

Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by weetadsftw
can anyone tell me which mesa (used) under 850 USD has the smoothest lead? i cant decide over a f-50 or dc-5 or any other mesa. or any amp really that has great cleans and even better high gain.

DC-5 over the F-Series.
Quote by weetadsftw
is it most excellent for satch or paul gilbert's technical difficulties tones?

LOL, funny that you say that, because I was just playing scarified, and was impressed by how good it sounded on the amp. I haven't played any satch but... I haven't played anything that I wasn't able to almost match with my mesa (And I don't even have any pedals). The gain is endless, and the distortion is natural and comes in excess if you want it. The cleans are what sold me for the amp, I just switch channels, and there you go, full warm and thick tone cleans.
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Meh, its preference... I like mesa more than just about anything.

EWWW, theres no tone in that vid. Booo

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gCGuCxlxH8Y
OMG freaking beutiful soo much tone.

Check out my covers in my sig, im using the rectoverb on all of them/
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Last edited by Wrathlegion at Nov 8, 2008,
DC-5!!!!

Slays new Mesas, even most older ones (short of like the older Mark series amps or a Blackface or 2 Channel Dual Recto, but even then it can hold it's own!). The Caliber series is really great. Takes AWHILE to get EQ'ed up to where you want it (like a solid 30 or 40 hours all together), but once you get it there, it's awesome.

Cleans come alive on the amp with passives; with the actives in my Hellraiser they sound good (really clean) but they really benefit from the organic warmth of passives (a tele or strat through this amp makes a Twin jealous). The reverb's nothing amazing, but it's still a cool added feature. Graphic EQ drastically shapeds both channels voicings and even adds a hint of boosting to either channel (you can select which one, or have it on all the time).
Quote by sharpant

Oh, much better!
The problem is that that just shows me that its not good for shredding with more gain and distortion
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
If you're lucky you might be able to get a Mark III at that price.

But I go with the F-Series.
k now i'm torn between the F series and DC. can anyone push me to either side?

Rig:

Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
My DC is great, i get a really nice tone of it for what i need.

And seriously Mesas take a ton of tweaking to find the perfect tone
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Highwaytohell
the only way at this point is for you to compare them side by side.

if i can find somewhere carrying mesa's then thats definately a possibility.

Rig:

Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Bascially what Teh GIR said. It took me like two months of tweaking to get it perfect (granted that two months is bascially like 6 or 7 hours of playing it a week, so it's something like 40 hours in total). Its definitely a versatile amp, especially so if you have [vastly] different guitars (ie EMG loaded guitar and a stock tele). The F series is all right, but it doesn't have the graphic EQ that the DCs have, which adds to their versatility. And I don't think they have reverb, which is another plus for the DC series.