All I have is my computer, a guitar, and an amp.

What are the first steps?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
download audacity, it's free on download.com, then find a 1/4" to 3.5mm connector cable, and plug the 1/4 into the line out of your amp, and the other end into the line in on your computer, which should be beside the microphone jack. Make sure audacity is recording, and start playing. for better recordings, you can buy a line 6 toneport or guitarport for about 60-80 dollars. There you go.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
1. google acoustica mixcraft and download the software, the trial is free
2. go to your local radio shack and buy a 1/4'' mono to 1/8'' (phone jack) cable, it's about $7
3. run the cable from the output jack of your amp to the microphone/line in on your computer (I use a multi-effects pedal myself but it should work with an amp)
4. start recording
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
my amp doesnt have a line out...at least i dont think so. I have a Fender Blues Jr.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
use your headphone jack instead then. Rin the 1/4 jack from your headphone jack in your amp to the line in/microphone port on your computer. then run audicity or w/e software u use to record
Balls, it doesn't have a line out or a headphone jack, and you can't just plug the guitar directly into the computer, the signal is too weak.

In that case if you're going to keep it simple I would look into a multi-effects pedal like a Digitech RP series or a Line 6 POD, you can get a good one for under $150. Both have the outputs you need to hook up to your computer.
Quote by edbert
Balls, it doesn't have a line out or a headphone jack, and you can't just plug the guitar directly into the computer, the signal is too weak.

In that case if you're going to keep it simple I would look into a multi-effects pedal like a Digitech RP series or a Line 6 POD, you can get a good one for under $150. Both have the outputs you need to hook up to your computer.

Is there anything else I can use instead of a multi effects pedal? I want to use single pedals. Should I just get a microphone or something?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
I suppose you could get a mic, I know very little about that other than you would need a good one in order to get even a decent recording quality, especially with free software.

I wonder if connecting your pedals directly to the computer would work...if the signal from your guitar gets amplified enough it just might.
Quote by gruenburger
All I have is my computer, a guitar, and an amp.

What are the first steps?

Step 1 - Read the pinned posts at the top of the board
Step 2 - See the UG Recording Videos
Step 3 - Read Tweak's guide, (found in my sig.)

If you want to record your amps sound and use all the same FX pedals the best way to go is to buy an interface and good mic.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 8, 2008,
Ok i so I just downloaded an installed Sony Acid Pro 6....

how the hell do I use this. Im lost.

How do I find all the different beats and sounds to add in?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Alright I know how to add in my own files, but doesnt Acid Pro come with its own sound (drum beats, base, synth) ?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by moody07747
Free trial?
Well first you need to open the program and hit F1
After reading all of that you should know how to setup the program and use it...simple as that.

nah its not free trial if you know what I mean.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
2 cheap possible options include:

-Download Audacity (Free)
-Buy the singstar hardware (goes for about $20-30AU or less on ebay), it comes with 2 half decent mics and a 2 input audio interface.
-Mic up your amp with the singstar mics, connect the audio interface to your computer, fire up Audacity and start recording.

OR

-Download Audacity (Free)
-Buy one of those Line6 Toneports (GX is the cheapest one at $80-90AU).
-Hook up guitar to Toneport, setup Toneport on computer, fire up Audacity and start recording.

I've used both ways and found that the toneport usually gives better quality depending on your amp (i've only got a low-mid range tube amp), plus a whole heap of versatility (lots of effects, amp models and stuff to play around with, you can even record bass or vocals too...however you'd need to buy a microphone for vocals).

However, the singstar way is cheaper (could even be free if you can just grab it off a friend who happens to have the game and doesn't play it anymore).
Quote by moody07747
Be aware that cheap gear sounds cruddy most of the time, this is why most people spend their hard earned money on good gear...

Ya I am not looking for the cheapest alternative. I just want a decent entry level setup.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4