my friend has requested that i teach him guitar and i have accepted it. my question is...

what should i teach him?

im self taught and pretty much just learned songs like Smells like teen spirit and smoke on the water when i started out so i dont know exactly what to teach. i thought maybe some basic open/power chords and scale(probably major), but i dont quite know

thx for any help
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
1. Chromatic Warm ups
2. Give him a guitar routine
4. Scales
5. Chords
6. Rhythm
7. Learn fret ( Fret warrior)
9. Music theory
10. Teach a song

Since you are just a starter as well... take notes on this to.
Make sure you teach him the dots are on the odd frets except for at the 12th. It's so annoying to try to teach someone something and they have to count the ****ing frets.
How to cleanly finger each fret
Basic theory
How to alternate pick
OPen chords first and a simple song.

Move on to more complex songs later.

After a bit show him string bending and it's use. Tapping and so on. If he's going to catch on he will.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
open chords first for sure and mostly chords in general. the trick is to get the student actually making music they like. any song can be played chords. scales arent as usefull to a brand new guitarist at least untill they can strum a few songs decently.
Quote by Rickjames730
My advice: Don't teach him until you know more.

I second this, I don't believe you should teach until you know what to teach without having to ask other people.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
lol im in kind of the same situation, my drummer just bought a guitar and amp and wants me to teach him, even tho i just started getting lessons 2 weeks ago
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff