I have a couple of questions about Rectifiers:

(1) Does the addition of rectifier tubes from the Single, Dual, and Triple versions have a drastic effect on the tone?

(2) How do they sound at low volumes?

(3) I've heard that Mesas are "tweakers" amps and it takes a long time to get a good tone, is this true?

Any help is appreciated
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
1. Some, yes, but not gigantic.

2. No..well, you might be able to do something with the 50 watt, but the others are gunna need an attenuator for bedroom levels.

3. This is most definitely true.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
1. Same with above. Volume gets a bit louder though.
2. I have a Tremoverb combo and I think they sound pretty good at bedroom level, for cleans anyway. Distortion will need the volume to be turned up a bit otherwise you get some fuzz.
3. Set all knobs at 12 o clock and start from there. Not that hard for the rectifiers except the roadster and roadking. Different story for the Mark series however.
1. The Rectifier tube itself really doesn't have much tonal changes on the amp from the Single to Dual to Triple Recto, if you're using it for high gain, you'll probably be using Solid State Rectification anyway, but the amps themselves do sound a bit different.

2. The Rect-O-Verb, Trem-O-Verb and the Roadster/Road King sound decent at low volumes, but the Single, Dual and Triple Rectos really need to be turned up pretty loud to get anything awe-inspiring out of them.

3. It will take some getting used to as they don't EQ like you would normally EQ an amp. As for the dialing in a Road King comment above me, mine was extremely easy to dial in a good tone, my Mark IV wasn't hard to either
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
(1) Does the addition of rectifier tubes from the Single, Dual, and Triple versions have a drastic effect on the tone?

Yes, tube rectifiers cause the tubes in the amp to take longer to reach maximum power, so the notes seem to "blossom" and "sag." If that is what you want, go for it. SS rectifiers are more tight sounding.

God awful.

(3) I've heard that Mesas are "tweakers" amps and it takes a long time to get a good tone, is this true?

Definitely, most of the tones out of that amp sound like shit IMO. Even the good ones still just sound like a bunch of fizz with a shitload of low end. (all imo)

This is all for the solo recto head, I haven't played any of the others.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121

Yes, tube rectifiers cause the tubes in the amp to take longer to reach maximum power, so the notes seem to "blossom" and "sag." If that is what you want, go for it. SS rectifiers are more tight sounding.

God awful.

Definitely, most of the tones out of that amp sound like shit IMO. Even the good ones still just sound like a bunch of fizz with a shitload of low end. (all imo)

This is all for the solo recto head, I haven't played any of the others.

Looks like someone doesn't know how to use a Recto. Proves my point
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Looks like someone doesn't know how to use a Recto. Proves my point

I suppose the hoards of professionals that use the recto solo heads dont know how to use them either.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups

Yes, I usually use the tube rectification for leads and diodes for rhythm on my roadking for metal but it's all based on your taste anyway.

Decent to awesome with an attenuator. Depends on how low you mean though

Definitely not, you just have to know that turning each knob has a direct effect on everything else, they don't really eq like other amps. Don't use any extreme settings and it will sound great. Most mesas sound the best with the settings close to the 11 to 1 o' clock mark in my experience.
It might seem kinda daunting at first, especially on a mark IV or roadking but it's actually really simple once you get the hang of it.
My experience is only with the rect-o-verb, so i can't speak for the duals/triples.

When I first got my mesa I had a difficult time getting the tone I desired out of it (dark new metal type stuff). I pondered several possible reasons why, eventually it turned out that the main culprit was the low output pickups I had been using.

After moving to higher output pickups, it helped the tone quite a bit. Then I still had to spend some time tweaking the settings, eventually I got it basically to what I had wanted.

This is at apartment level volumes I will mention. I added an EQ pedal later on and that helped the tone even more. I have contemplated getting an attenuator, but at 300 dollars it seems a little risky since I have not had access to try one out.

The bottom line is that I love the tone I have finally gotten the amp to produce, but it did take some time/work. I also have considered getting a 2x12 closed back cab to run it through, but as with the attenuator I haven't been able to try that setup out yet.
Guitars
Amps