When I play above 120bpm my left arm tenses up and it's hard to control. When this tension occurs I start to slow down. What can I do to avoid this tension? I'm pretty sure my posture is correct and I've tried slowing down but it doesnt seem to work. What am I missing?
play even slower is all i can tell you, play at a comfortable speed and then go faster little by little
D;
more strength. more stamina. your hand doesnt get stronger unless you work it till its tired. maybe think of it as exercise practice more than musical practice. practice with the intent of pushing your forearm muscles and not pleasing your ear. not all the time obviously but just as youd practice on any other problem area. try a hand exerciser. i use one and its helped me with a lot of strength/stamina issues.
Quote by Myung-trucci
When I play above 120bpm my left arm tenses up and it's hard to control. When this tension occurs I start to slow down. What can I do to avoid this tension? I'm pretty sure my posture is correct and I've tried slowing down but it doesnt seem to work. What am I missing?

Slow down, reduce the size of your movements and make sure you're always in absolute control of what each of your fingers is doing. See FP's vids on finger independance and correct practice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If you notice that your arm gets tense, that's good. That tells you that you are actively being aware of your body. When you notice it, relax it. The more you notice it, the more you'll relax it, and the more it'll stay relaxed. Just find your comfort level for playing without tensing up at all and up the metronome just a little after a while.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
more strength. more stamina. your hand doesnt get stronger unless you work it till its tired. maybe think of it as exercise practice more than musical practice. practice with the intent of pushing your forearm muscles and not pleasing your ear. not all the time obviously but just as youd practice on any other problem area. try a hand exerciser. i use one and its helped me with a lot of strength/stamina issues.

Tension=/=fatigue.
Quote by Myung-trucci
OK, so I need to slow right down and play with 0 tension and 110% relaxation right?

Yep, it's kind of difficult though, if you focus on it too much, you'll actually tense up.
But you need a TINY bit of tension though, don't be completely relaxed.
Relax i guess...

After listening to Freepower's advice now i'm playing so relaxed and slow that it feels good

Slow right down to the point where your playing technique feels perfect to you, then slowly speed up. Slowly as in 5-10% your metronome speed every hour or two of playing time. Don't quote me on that.

It'll take you a while...a few months...but it's sooo worth it !

Right now if i close my eyes, it feels so good that i can fall aspleep if i wanted
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
^ thanks man.

Quote by Orbit91
Yep, it's kind of difficult though, if you focus on it too much, you'll actually tense up.
But you need a TINY bit of tension though, don't be completely relaxed.

You don't need a tiny bit of tension, and you certainly wouldn't have to try to incorporate it if you did.
Quote by Freepower
^ thanks man.

You don't need a tiny bit of tension, and you certainly wouldn't have to try to incorporate it if you did.

You're arguing with Shawn ?
Er, no. He's speaking about ONE specific lick, and it's an exception.

Besides, when he says a little tension, he still means looser than almost every other player on the planet.
Which lick is this? Video ? Seems interesting...
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Quote by Freepower
Er, no. He's speaking about ONE specific lick, and it's an exception.

Besides, when he says a little tension, he still means looser than almost every other player on the planet.

Woah, no need to get snappy.
And I forgot what video it is :/
Quote by X-Boy
Which lick is this? Video ? Seems interesting...

If I remember rightly it's in his REH video where he's talking about his diminished string skips.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ about a 9s pulloff variation, iirc. Didn't mean to be snappy, if it came across that way. It's just that I feel rather strongly about Shawn's teachings and how they've become mixed up into justifications for bad habits. There's a whole bunch of people out there justifying their bad practice because Shawn encouraged "playing as fast as possible and not worrying if it was sloppy".

Anyone curious read the end of the sticky.
Quote by Freepower
^ about a 9s pulloff variation, iirc. Didn't mean to be snappy, if it came across that way. It's just that I feel rather strongly about Shawn's teachings and how they've become mixed up into justifications for bad habits. There's a whole bunch of people out there justifying their bad practice because Shawn encouraged "playing as fast as possible and not worrying if it was sloppy".

Anyone curious read the end of the sticky.

Haha, I'm not that infatuated with him that I'd play as fast as possible, I'm a strong advocate of the Metronome, and probably one of two Guitarists who use it in my college

And I agree about the justifaction of bad habits thing, I remember arguing with someone who picked with 3 fingers and anchored with the other two, and want to know his reason why? "Steve Morse does it" .
OK, the slow practice is going great, but I was wondering-is feeling tension at high speeds also to do with fatigue? I don't feel anything at first but I gradually feel start feeling tense.