say i wanted to start designing pups wat would i have to do to make that work. i want to know all the parts and how your supposed to wind it and how to give it higher d c resistance and higher freq peak. i wanna know everything.
Quote by maverick_137
say i wanted to start designing pups wat would i have to do to make that work. i want to know all the parts and how your supposed to wind it and how to give it higher d c resistance and higher freq peak. i wanna know everything.
that would be way past the scope of what a forum thread was intended to do.

buy a book.

read the book.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
your gonna need some magnets, alot of copper wire, solder, plastic, probably glue.
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
that would be way past the scope of what a forum thread was intended to do.

buy a book.

read the book.

End thread.

Thats honestly all there is man...

You could ask CorduroyEW or nuthinbuttrubl8 if you have questions after reading the book. They wind their own pickups.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
listen to Øttər ^
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
smarty pants

I had a thread like this a few months ago when i was like you TS, new nothing

Anyway, the best way is to read books but i'll explain a little bit.
You need to buy or make the flatwork/ bobbins, Pole Pieces, Copper Wire (42 AWG, 43 AWG for teles), A bar magnet and hookup wire.

You can buy all of this stuff from internet stores such as:
Stew Mac (they sell pickup kits)
Guitar Parts USA
Guitar All Parts

Stew mac also has a free info section which has lots of info on pickups. Its almost a book

I also suggest looking up wiki to,
the only book I know of on the subject is very outdated and has been out of print for many years so the only way to get it is to watch ebay. I only see it up for sale every1 or 2 times a year and then it sells for around $200.

In other words, you can't buy the book.

The best advise I can give to a beginner is to get a kit from www.stewmac.com Their kits come with very good instructions and they show you how to get started without spending hundreds of dollars on winding equipment. Once you have done a few vintage style pickups then it's time to start redesigning things.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
the only book I know of on the subject is very outdated and has been out of print for many years so the only way to get it is to watch ebay. I only see it up for sale every1 or 2 times a year and then it sells for around $200.

In other words, you can't buy the book.

The best advise I can give to a beginner is to get a kit from www.stewmac.com Their kits come with very good instructions and they show you how to get started without spending hundreds of dollars on winding equipment. Once you have done a few vintage style pickups then it's time to start redesigning things.
it sounds like you could make few bucks if you wrote a book, Cordz.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
^I'm actually working on a book right now but it's about what a consumer needs to know when choosing pickups. I do give away a lot of "secrets" that most pickup makers don't want people to know but only because I think it's vital for choosing the right pickups for your tone. The secrets do give a hobbyist all the information they need to become successful sellers of hand wound pickups but I don't ever give away the really important stuff and I never will. I've spent 3 years working 60hr weeks a week and spent $40,000 figuring this stuff out and I do plan on making a living from it.

Still… The book will be coming.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by maverick_137
im not dum i no some technical things just not how to build them

Don't argue your intelligence when you type like this. Please.

Here is a discussion on the topic of making your own pickups. Perhaps you will find it helpful.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Nov 10, 2008,
Last edited by Øttər : Today at 08:50 PM. Reason: I was too mean before.
i dunno what you had before, but your reply is now spot-on.

Quote by maverick_137
im not dum i no some technical things just not how to build them
pay attention, junior.

no one called you dumb.
i said telling you everything would be way past the scope of what a forum thread can do.

we aren't going to spoon-feed you all the knowledge. just not gonna happen.

and if you're too lazy to write a decent OP,
explaining what you know and which details need to be filled it,
i for one, have absolutely no motivation to tell you anything except that you expect too much.

do better on your next threadstart or just don't waste the space, k?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411