I am looking at getting some new pickups for my Gibson Explorer.

I play anything from jazz to country to death metal, so I need something really versatile.

Not wanting to go active at all.
The JB '59 set is popular for versatility, so I've heard. But IMO a set of moderately high-output alnico humbuckers should suit you well, since more of your tone really comes from your amp anyway.

Speaking of which, what is your amp?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
In that case I stand by what I said before about moderately high output humbuckers. Some sort of PAF-style pickup should suit you well.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Any specific combo that would work the be the best? I don't really have a budget, so price really isn't too much of a problem.
I always say this, but look up rock monkey pickups on google. They're hand made and there's a 10% discount for UGers. Email corduroyew (he makes them) and he can point you in the right direction far better than most of us can.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

They are kinda muddy sounding. I have adjusted them numerous times, and can't get rid of the mud.
Quote by stradivari310
In that case I stand by what I said before about moderately high output humbuckers. Some sort of PAF-style pickup should suit you well.

PAFs actually varied in output alot (from low to blisteringly high) but generally they were considered to be medium output.

I'd say you get a DiMarzio PAF Pro in your bridge and an Air Norton in your neck pickup...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
you could stick with Gibson, the 500t is VERY HOT, but im not sure how it is with clean stuff.

Dirtyfingers?

Seymour Duncan JB and '59 or Jazz?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Hmmmm,,,, I wouldn't recommend an Air Norton for jazz,, air nortons tend to compress the signal a lot making use of dynamics very difficult since the air norton has no dynamics. Don't get me wrong,, I love the Air norton as much as the next petrucci fan boy,, but they don't work nearly as well for jazz as they do for gainier types of music.
Quote by rokket2005
Hmmmm,,,, I wouldn't recommend an Air Norton for jazz,, air nortons tend to compress the signal a lot making use of dynamics very difficult since the air norton has no dynamics. Don't get me wrong,, I love the Air norton as much as the next petrucci fan boy,, but they don't work nearly as well for jazz as they do for gainier types of music.

hmm... no dynamics. I don't agree with that at all.

But I do agree that an Air Norton isn't the best solution for a jazz pickup.

my recommendations are:

Bridge pup - Dimarzio Norton
Neck pup - Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab