This is my second post, the first being in the intro section.

After doing some research and deciding I was going to take the plunge into the world of guitar, I found one today at an estate sale.

It's a Fender acoustic, CG-5. When I first looked at it, you could tell it was in like-new condition. The only thing I could find was some possible glue residue at the saddle as if it may have been replaced. The wood is mint without a scratch. Before I bought it, I did a quick google search and could find nothing online about it other than one identical to it being sold on Ebay for $180. The gentleman was asking $85 for this one and I got him down to $75.

It has no blemishes at all. It sounds nice (for what I know about how it's supposed to sound) and being a Fender, I figured I couldn't really go wrong for $75.

Next weekend, a nice fella on another forum I frequent is selling me an Esteban A/E. I'm truly looking forward to bringing that one home!

If any of you fine fellas/gals know anything about the Fender CG-5, I'd appreciate the input.

I tried to attach a couple of pictures but apparently haven't earned the right to yet (or else I'm just doing it wrong).

Thanks in advance!
Quote by BexarWolf
This is my second post, the first being in the intro section.

After doing some research and deciding I was going to take the plunge into the world of guitar, I found one today at an estate sale.

It's a Fender acoustic, CG-5. When I first looked at it, you could tell it was in like-new condition. The only thing I could find was some possible glue residue at the saddle as if it may have been replaced. The wood is mint without a scratch. Before I bought it, I did a quick google search and could find nothing online about it other than one identical to it being sold on Ebay for $180. The gentleman was asking $85 for this one and I got him down to $75.

It has no blemishes at all. It sounds nice (for what I know about how it's supposed to sound) and being a Fender, I figured I couldn't really go wrong for $75.

Next weekend, a nice fella on another forum I frequent is selling me an Esteban A/E. I'm truly looking forward to bringing that one home!

If any of you fine fellas/gals know anything about the Fender CG-5, I'd appreciate the input.

I tried to attach a couple of pictures but apparently haven't earned the right to yet (or else I'm just doing it wrong).

Thanks in advance!

First, the Esteban. Ummm, no. Just no. I really hope you aren't paying much for it, because they're no better than a First-Act you could get from Wal-Mart. Laminated everything, cheapo materials, cheapo workmanship. Truely lousy guitars. Sorry.
As for Fender acoustics, this is proof that some guitar mfr's should stick with what they do well, and leave other items to other pros. Fender has great electrics, not so good acoustics. You'd think with that name they would be able to make some excellent acoustics, but they generally fail. They certainly can't hold a candle to some of the better known ones out there, such as Gibson, Martin, Alvarez, Yamaha, Seagull, Epiphone, and so on. There's just so many better choices that to settle on that one Fender is a bit narrow minded. I'd also be very wary of that glue line around the bridge. Why's it there? What happened to it in the past? The CG-5 is a classical style nylon string guitar. Was it perhaps strung up with steel strings and the bridge came off? It's happened many times because people aren't knowlegable enough and assume that they are interchangable. And if it was, what other, hidden damage may have occured to the guitar that isn't showing? I'd be very cautious here.
Granted, $75 isn't a lot of cash for a guitar, just letting you in on a few tips you should be aware of before you buy it is all.
Lastly, when posting pics, choose "Advanced" below the quick reply box, then scroll down to Additional Options, then choose the Manage Attachments button. The rest is self explanatory.
Thanks for the input and reply.

I aware that the Esteban is a HSN guitar and is no where near the quality of gibson and the others noted. The Esteban is going to cost me $50.

My reasoning for going with a cheap guitar or two is because I know me. Yes, I could have gone with a $300 to $500 guitar, but this is a test for me. As it is, I'll have $125 tied up in two guitars. If i start this journey and don't keep at it, I've lost $125 and not $400+. Worse-case scenario, I end up with 2 pretty display guitars.

Thanks again and I'll keep on browsing.
Attachments:
in case1.jpg
sound hole1.jpg
close up1.jpg
The Fender certainly looks nice, just remember what I said about them not being the greatest acoustic mfrs out there. It's not going to be the same as a steel string acoustic tho, since it's a classical. It's got to have nylon strings on it. The Esteban could probably withstand bridge cables and not warp. So if you do decide to get them both, you'll have two very different sounding guitars. You play them differently as well.
Either way, good luck with your decision.
Woah, woah, woah. As LeftyDave said, that Fender is a classical guitar and needs to have nylon strings on it. It looks like in the picture that it has steel strings. This would explain the glue around the bridge. If the previous owner has been keeping steel strings on that guitar, he probably ripped the bridge completely off. If the guitar still has steel strings on it, which it looks like it does, you need to take them off. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you may have been sorta ripped off. If you are wanting to play classical guitar, then you did OK. $75 isn't a lot to pay so it's not like you're out much. If you want to play steel string acoustic guitar, which is the more common and is what you are probably use to hearing, this Fender isn't what you need.

I also have to agree strongly with LeftyDave about the Esteban. I hope you haven't already paid the guy and gotten the guitar and all. That's really just like flushing $50 down the toilet. If anything, the Esteban is likely to turn you away from playing guitar. It will likely sound just awful and will be really, really hard to play. You really should try to get out of this deal if at all possible. Please take our word for it on this one.

I don't see why you need two guitars right now anyway. If you want to play steel string guitar, I recommend you try to return that Fender and don't buy that Esteban. You can probably find a decent used steel string guitar for the $125 you were going to invest in those two. Have a look at the Under $300 thread stickied at the top of the forum. You can probably find one of those guitars used on eBay for around $125.
The pictures are misleading. The G/B/E strings are nylon and the E/A/D strings are metal-wound nylon.

If the bridge was replaced, it should be ok with the strings that are on it.

As for the Esteban..........here's the story. On another forum, I mentioned I was hankering for a guitar and asking for suggestions. I was getting $300 and $500 suggestions. Although I'm not in the poor house yet, I don't want to plop down $300 on something I may not pursue. He offered me the Esteban out of the goodness of his heart (being a good samaritan and "passing it on" so to speak) after picking up a Dean acoustic/electric.

Keep in mind, I'm just starting out.....first time to pick up a guitar in 30+ years. More than anything, I was looking for something I can learn to pick chords, strenghten my wrist/fingers on, learn technique more than sound. I was needing something so I could say "well, I now have a guitar. I may as well learn how to play it".

As for having two......here's the deal. He offered me the Esteban on Thursday. I knew it would be a full week before I could go pick it up so I was browsing the local Craigslist and saw the posting for an estate sale with a guitar. I went and looked at it and being the eager beaver I am, I went ahead and got it. Now, I'm not one to go back on my word and turn down someone's good deed so I'll still get the Esteban.

And as I've said, if I put them down, burn them up or lose them in a tragic guitar accident, I'm out $125. Not a huge loss.

Once I learn technique, style, fingering, etc., I'll look into buying something with better sound and more quality. As it stands right now, I don't expect to be playing at the Grand Ole' Opry any time soon so there's no one to impress but myself.....for now.

Thanks for the input and opinions. I understand what both of you are saying.
I dunno... strengthening your fingers and learning technique on a cheap guitar is fine and all, but many Esetebans have been known to be quite unplayable. Like... literally unplayable because of their ridiculously high action(string height).

As for the Fender, it's definitely a nylon string guitar. Nylon/Classical/Flamenco guitars have 3 steel wound nylon strings for the lowest 3 strings and just regular nylon strings for the top 3.

Whether or not the other guy offered you the Esteban as a good deed is somewhat questionable me. He might have offered it to you to make some money off of a really sub par guitar, or he really might have done it hoping to help you. I'm inclined to believe the former as opposed to the latter. Anyone who starts off with an Esteban and then plays another guitar knows that the Esteban isn't a good guitar. I don't think it would be rude or inappropriate to turn down the offer.

Just me 2 cents. Good luck!
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Well one thing's for sure here. Playing an Esteban is certainly going to build finger strength in a hurry. Or stress them out until they're useless noodles. I hope BexarWolf isn't a surgeon!
Quote by LeftyDave
Well one thing's for sure here. Playing an Esteban is certainly going to build finger strength in a hurry.

my sentiments exactly.

Well I hope you're happy with your new guitars and welcome to UG!