Honestly is there a difference?
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
Yes. When you use a slanted cab, the sound waves of the top two speakers go upwards into the air, rather than straight.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Slant projects the sound more towards you if it's used as a halfstack. In a fullstack, I really don't see the point of why it's put on the top of it, there's no point lol.

There are some tonal differences though, the straight cabs are more in-your-face so to speak, but it's highly unlikely you'll really be able to tell the difference.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Nov 9, 2008,
EDIT: Nevermind
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I don't know but I would like to know. The rhythm guitarist in my band has a straight Marshall cab, the lead, a Line 6 slant...

Why don't they make bass cabs slanted?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I don't know but I would like to know. The rhythm guitarist in my band has a straight Marshall cab, the lead, a Line 6 slant...

Why don't they make bass cabs slanted?

damn good question

bumpworthy
One has a search bar, and the other doesn't.

EDIT: Actually that bass cab question changes things.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Depending on where you're standing, the sound you perceive (NOT THAT ACTUAL SOUND PRODUCED) changes. For example, you hear less highs from a straight cab when you are directly in front of it because there is no projection towards your ears like there is a slant cab when the 2 top speakers face you. Huge misconceptions include:

-Straights produce more low end (wrong, you just HEAR less highs depending on where you are standing

-Straights sound fuller because there is more air in the cab (the difference in volume of air is so relatively small that it is pretty much negligible)
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Something I've always wondered about angled cabs: If you're up on a stage, won't that angled top send the "hot zone" of the top 2 speakers well above the audience's head?

I imagine bass cabs don't come in angled because bass frequencies are much less directional. It doesn't matter much what direction the speakers point. A subwoofer fills the room with sound no matter where it is.
Quote by Blaster Bob
Something I've always wondered about angled cabs: If you're up on a stage, won't that angled top send the "hot zone" of the top 2 speakers well above the audience's head?

I imagine bass cabs don't come in angled because bass frequencies are much less directional. It doesn't matter much what direction the speakers point. A subwoofer fills the room with sound no matter where it is.

Depends on the venue....

I think a slant cab by itself would be more effective live all around. On top of a straight, id have to say that it depends on the venue really.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by Blaster Bob

Hmm, true in a way....the reality is that the human ear finds it very "hard" to discern the direction that low frequency sounds that humans hear as "bass", or the sounds we associate with a subwoofer, are coming from. Unless you're standing in front of a bass amp, or know exactly where it is, it is very hard to know "where" the sound is emanating from. I believe this is why bass cabs generally aren't slanted (although I have seen combos that can be tilted back and are designed that way).

As for a subwoofer filling a room.....it has a lot to do with above, and with the fact that most houses have a lot of wood in them, which transfers the sound of a bass faster and farther than any other sound. You might notice a couple cellos in an orchestra can fill an auditorium with low end....next time note how much wood is in the room.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by Exo M7

Let's change the question to "Bass cabs don't GENERALLY come in angled."

I'd love to see a 6x10 or 8x10 bass cab in angled.... maybe that's it. Bass cabs tend to have more than 4 speakers meaning the cabinet has to be progressively deeper to keep the center of gravity good? Larger = more weight...

I duno maybe I'm crazy.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I think full stacks have a slanted cab on top to protect the head from any teetering on stage. It gives the tall, full stack more center of gravity and a bit more stability.

I had used a straight 4x12 as a half stack for years. The past year and a bit, I've been using a slanted cab with my half stack. I'm now liking the slant better I think.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by xBOPx
Honestly is there a difference?

No.

Slanted cabs came to be purely for cosmetic reasons - it means the amp head fits neatly on top.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thats like asking whether a slant dick is better or a straight one.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
not really.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Okay thanks everyone.

Also I never have my slant standing up i have it on its side when on a straight.
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one