So, I bought a new set of strings for my acoustic guitar, and was putting on the sixth string, when i noticed it was very very hard to tighten. But it wasn't tuned properly yet, and I've put strings on before no problem, so I kept tightening, and all of a sudden "pop!" I thought the string might have broken, but I looked and it was fine. I tried turning the tuning peg but it won't even move now! So I was like what the hell? I looked at the pack of strings and saw that the gauge strings the girl at the music store gave me was a medium. I normally use a lighter guage, but hey it's called "medium" right? Shouldn't cause any problems right? So what's wrong with my guitar?
What's your guitar's brand/model #...
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
My car just went bang and stopped, I guess I had better take that description, get on the internet and ask what is wrong with it.
did you check to see if you bridge peg hadn't popped out cos i've had that happen a few times (one of the main reasons why i dont like re-string acoustics much, i know i know i'm a wussy)
It could very well be the thickness of the low E string is too fat for the nut slot, and the "pop" you heard was the string trying to slide through a too narrow of a slot. It pays to pay attention to what you're buying. Mediums are not necessarily ok to put on your guitar if it isn't ready for them, meaning you could need to widen the nut slots, adjust the truss rod, and perhaps adjust the height of the saddle for correct action. I personally don't go any thicker than lights on my Alvarez. They are plenty thick to give nice tone, but not so much so that they are hard to fret.
You may want to think about going back to the store and getting a different set of strings. More than likely the guitar came with lights, or .012's on it when new.
Quote by R.Christie
My car just went bang and stopped, I guess I had better take that description, get on the internet and ask what is wrong with it.

Warning for you. Don't spam up threads please. The purpose of this forum is for people to ask for advice concerning acoustic guitars. That is exactly what the OP did.

OP... Take the low E string off and see if the peg will turn. Report back and we'll go from there. I'm trying to determine if what LeftyDave suggested is the problem or if you may actually have a broken tuning peg. Could be either.