I've owned a crappy Kustom practice amp for too long.. it's time i upgraded. I've been playing for a few years and the general consensus for brutal metal amp on here is the dual rec..

I tried one at a local shop, tried one, and FELL IN LOVE. I bought that and a 2x12 Recto cab new. (Couldn't afford a 4x12 atm). But the 2x12 was used and had V30's in it.

So I recorded myself riffing around with a Shure SM57 miced right in front of the 12' speaker into Audacity with an MI Audio soundcard(forget the name) So the sound is all pure.

Let me know what you guys think, the clip is in my profile..

edit: Oh and I used a Gibson LP Standard with the stock pups, no effects or anything. Modern channel.
Hmm... you might want to tweak the EQ a bit more. Sounds like something my Line 6 Flextone could produce to be honest.

And you can't hear how that Gibson properly sounds with that much distortion.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Do not mic your amp right in front of the speaker it will not get good response due to the proximity effect. mic it at an angle, and tweak your settings. It takes a while to really dial in the sweet tones for mesas.
Hm I had the mids slightly scooped and the mic placed about 3 inches in front like this:

===O |||Speaker|||

How should i place it?

I'll get another clip going in a minute

Quote by Night_Lights
Hmm... you might want to tweak the EQ a bit more. Sounds like something my Line 6 Flextone could produce to be honest.

And you can't hear how that Gibson properly sounds with that much distortion.

I know but I just love gibsons fat tone.. it really comes out with cleans and crunch but the fat tone helps the bottom end a bit
Last edited by rabblerouser89 at Nov 9, 2008,
Quote by Highwaytohell
Do not mic your amp right in front of the speaker it will not get good response due to the proximity effect. mic it at an angle, and tweak your settings. It takes a while to really dial in the sweet tones for mesas.

The proximity effect isn't always a bad thing depending on your speakers and eq
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Alright, I placed the mic a little differently like you said and changed the eq a bit, added some mids.

Test #2 is on the raw channel, #3 on modern again.

Hows that?
Good clips man.

Personally I'm not a fan of the whole american voicing thing, but the recs do preety good for the whole modern metal deal.

Sweet, I am digging the tone too, definitely a huge upgrade for me. Hope to hear some more thoughts from you guys

Oh and forgot to mention i used some delay from a Boss DD-7 on the last clips
If the sound is all pure then why is there reverb? And it doesn't really sound like a dual rec that much either....

>_>
Quote by Geartrigger
If the sound is all pure then why is there reverb? And it doesn't really sound like a dual rec that much either....

>_>

Well to be fair I said i added a boss dd-7(not true)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.