Hey everyone. This probably sounds like a stupid question, but is there a huge tonal difference between a 1x12 cab or a 2x12 cab?

I don't have a cab right now for my head (Mesa Boogie Single Rec), but I found a pretty good price for a Mesa Boogie 1x12 locally ($250) and I was wondering if I should pick it up or just wait to get a 2x12 cab. I know the main difference is the extra speaker (duh) which in theory should "spread the sound out" more than the 1x12 but does it make a huge difference?

Would I be able to crank my amp up more to push the tubes but still have a lower volume than I would with a 2x12 cab?

I don't think I need the extra power and volume as well because I don't gig or anything. The most I'd do is probably jam with some friends and have a drummer there, but I'm sure my amp would over power it with a 1x12 cab. I usually just play at lower volumes which is 95% of the time.

There is also a deal for a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab around me for $275... I'm not quite sure what condition it's in, but I was thinking maybe I should just go the whole way since it's a really good price. Only thing is it's huge and I don't know how well a 4x12 cab would sound at a low volume.

Thanks
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
More speakers, more air is being pushed. The 1x12 will be fine, 2x12 will be better, but not much. That 4x12 you were talking about... great deal! but you gotta consider some things... do you have the room for it? will you mind having so much room taken up for bedroom jamming?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
just get the 1x12, i stupidly bought a 1960 but a cranked 1x12 is better for recording and jamming. for gigs let the pa do the work
I personally prefer 2x12s over 4x12s. Although 4x12s are noticeably louder, they aren't louder to the point of being of better for certain places. 2x12s are plenty loud for any show or practice you will be playing at. The reason I like them more is because they are actually portable. 4x12s can be a real bitch to move around, where as 2x12s are just as easy to take somewhere as a guitar.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
The only reason I'd get the 4x12 is because it's such a great price. Transportation would be such a pain and I don't think I have too much room for it =/

I am really wanting a 2x12 actually but they are a good amount more... I've been having trouble finding one for a good price. I also think it may be even more than I need, but I don't know if a 1x12 or a 2x12 would sound better (assuming the amp settings are the same)

The only shows I'd be doing is probably at school or something...
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
not really, no
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by Khoifish321
The only reason I'd get the 4x12 is because it's such a great price. Transportation would be such a pain and I don't think I have too much room for it =/

I am really wanting a 2x12 actually but they are a good amount more... I've been having trouble finding one for a good price. I also think it may be even more than I need, but I don't know if a 1x12 or a 2x12 would sound better (assuming the amp settings are the same)

The only shows I'd be doing is probably at school or something...

You should definately take a look at some Avatar cabs. I got my 2x12 for about $350, and it has celestion G12T75's in it ($200 for the pair if you buy them alone). If you want some Eminence speakers you can almost always find Dave from Avatar Speakers posting a customizable, brand new, 2x12 with your choice of Eminences that usually sells for around 250 +about 30 in shipping. He has 100% approval rating after a shitload of sales, so theres no need to worry about that.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by alienboy18241
I personally prefer 2x12s over 4x12s. Although 4x12s are noticeably louder, they aren't louder to the point of being of better for certain places. 2x12s are plenty loud for any show or practice you will be playing at. The reason I like them more is because they are actually portable. 4x12s can be a real bitch to move around, where as 2x12s are just as easy to take somewhere as a guitar.

Its not a volume thing. Its a difference in voicing.

4x12s are not noticeably louder than 2x12s. I've heard 2x12s that "sound" louder than 4x12s depending on how the cabinets are tuned. But a 4x12 sounds different from a 2x12 tonally.
IMO a 1x12 is good for you because you play 95% in your bedroom. But if you want to gig in the future you should get the 2x12 cab.

Oh and a 2x12 + head looks better than a 1x12 with head (head doesnt even fit on top).
Yes it's a very stupid and useless opinion but I just wanted to mention it. ^^
i just got a 2x12 and had been using a 1x12 for most of a year. honestly, it does sound a bit better because it is fuller. downsides are it is less portable, takes up more room, and isnt really noticibly louder (which can be a positive). ive you have a good deal on a nice 1x12, then that will be fine. since you dont gig much and dont really have much need for the extra air pushing, then id go with the 1x12 for now. you can always pick up a 2x12 later and just use it for gigs or whatever, with the 1x12 as your home cab.