Okay, here's the deal: I have a Peavey Windsor head that I run into a Marshall cab with Vintage 30s....love the sound. if you don't, don't waste you're time flaming about it please. This is not an "I hate the Windsor" thread.

However, I've found this rig (and all half-stacks, imo) to be a bitch to lug and deal with. So, I'm thinking of selling the 4x12 and getting a 2x12 cab. Or, should I unload the whole half-stack and get a Classic 50 2x12? A bit different from the Windsor, yes, but I also love the tones I can get from it.

So, is it better to downsize to my current rig to a head/2x12, or a 2x12 combo, basically?
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
if you still like the tones coming from the classic 50 i'd go for it. head +cab is a bitch to haul around, combo's are so convenient.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
if your into wood work you could take out 2 of the speakers sell them cut the top half of the cab off fit a new lower top attach the amp chassis which you removed from its head cabinet into your new 2*12 and your away laughing dont need to buy anything and you will make money from selling the speakers.
i like aesop's suggestions as a carpenter myself, but from a practical point of view i'd just go for the combo. not everyone has the time or talent required to chop up a stack and put it back together in a way thats pleasing to the eye or ear.

i'm actually investing in a smaller amp myself for similar reasons, that and the overdrive channel is busted