Hey guys. I've had my american deluxe sss strat for almost a year now and the first time I got new strings put in it, I took it to my local music store because I was going from 9 gauge to 11 gauge and I don't know how to mess with the springs in the back and such.

Anyhow, I noticed after I took it home that he put so many springs in the back that I can no longer pull the whammy up, and it is actually quite hard to push it down. I was wondering if I took it to someone better (or even do it myself), they could make it so my bridge "floats" again. I want to be able to pull up on the whammy bar..

I think I remember asking the guy and he told me something like "yeah, with 11s its really hard to get the bridge to float" or some crap like that.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
There's 5 in there now.

I didn't even think to ask him, I just figured he'd keep everything the same.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Try loosening the screws that screw into the back of the body that the springs are attached to. Or remove a spring and just adjust the screws to make the proper spring tension so the bridge is the way you want it
is that the only adjustment I have to make? or is there more to it?
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
simply put, you only need 3 or 4 springs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.