Page 1 of 2
I'm going to get one of two guitars soon and I'm going to need a new amp ASAP. The guitar I play with currently is a Dean Vendetta 1 (That's useless info but I'll throw it in there anyway for all who are curious). I'm either getting an LTD KH-602 or an LTD M-1000. They're basically the same guitar except that the M-1000 has a set neck as opposed to the KH's neck-thru, as well as different finishes and different inlay/fingerboard design.

At any rate I'll need a new amp for either guitar. As of now, I'm playing with a Spider III 15W practice amp. Honestly I don't know shit about amps and I don't even really know WHY it is that I'll absolutely NEED a new amp but I've been told by multiple people that I'll need a new one when I get my new guitar. I would assume because a guitar like that would just be too powerful for my amp with the active pickups in it and so that it can do the guitar some justice. I know I can't get the sound out of that amp that the guitar has the potential to make so yea I need suggestions now. lol

If it makes any difference in what amp I should get, I own a Boss Metal Zone MT-2 distortion pedal. Don't know if that matters but just in case it does, I'd like to know if there's a better amp to fit with that pedal too.

Thanks everyone. :]

Edit: Also, what is the difference between a tube amp and solid state? I obviously don't know anything about amps here so try and bear with me. lol
Last edited by RC52190 at Nov 10, 2008,
I would suggest you get the guitar, take it to your local store and plug it in to as many amps as you can. Be fair and play with the eq on all. You are asking that someone else make your judgement on tone and sound. Hell you might find that the amp you have is good enough.
Quote by Sin City Sid
I would suggest you get the guitar, take it to your local store and plug it in to as many amps as you can. Be fair and play with the eq on all. You are asking that someone else make your judgement on tone and sound. Hell you might find that the amp you have in good enough.

LOL That's a good point. I may as well go find a guitar center or something and do that. I'm just looking for a good amp at a good price basically (Aren't we all?) But I can't get something too high end. I'd just like to hear some suggestions of amps that are good enough to do my guitar some justice but aren't too expensive, that's basically what I'm asking.
Well I play metal and even I don't know my price range. lol Since I'll be dishing out at least $800 for a guitar, probably not more than $300-$400.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
your question belongs in here http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33 oh and roland cube go and see if you can try one out.

Why am I the only person who gets shit on for making an amp thread here? lol I see them all over this forum and I'm not too familiar where every single thing belongs so cut me a little slack here. XD

Anyway, thank you for the tip. Every "WHAT AMP SHOULD I GET?" thread usually has that suggestion in it so I'm guessing they're pretty good. Then again, it seems everyone likes Gibsons and Fenders but I'm just not a fan so maybe not. I'll go check one out and see. lol
Quote by Tommy Walker
perhaps a Valve king? at least try one out.

Hmm, any kind in particular? Wattage? Model?
Quote by RC52190
Hmm, any kind in particular? Wattage? Model?

Reread your post, you don't necessarily need a new amp. It's just that the amp is such an integral part of your tone that people will deem it necessary Not being a big fan of active pickups I can't tell you what goes good with them. The VK is sort of the standard for mid price metal amps. Though I've heard that active pickups and tube distortion don't really mix. Maybe a 30 watt Roland cube might be something you want to try out. Once you get your guitar do what Sin City said. Playing through a spider with a nice guitar isn't going to rupture the space-time continuim or anything. Amp will not be "over-powered".
Quote by Tommy Walker
Reread your post, you don't necessarily need a new amp. It's just that the amp is such an integral part of your tone that people will deem it necessary Not being a big fan of active pickups I can't tell you what goes good with them. The VK is sort of the standard for mid price metal amps. Though I've heard that active pickups and tube distortion don't really mix. Maybe a 30 watt Roland cube might be something you want to try out. Once you get your guitar do what Sin City said. Playing through a spider with a nice guitar isn't going to rupture the space-time continuim or anything. Amp will not be "over-powered".

tube overdrive and actives are match made in heaven..actives in SS amps are wank
also i would recommend for metal a valveking..or for lighter stuff an epi valve jr
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
The wattage is going to depend on what you need it for and how high you can crank it without making roommates, neighbors or parents angry.
you should put more money into the amp because it makes up your tone more than a guitar.
Last edited by Linkin p4rk at Nov 10, 2008,
Quote by fairycake92
tube overdrive and actives are match made in heaven..actives in SS amps are wank
also i would recommend for metal a valveking..or for lighter stuff an epi valve jr

That's strange, I was reading some reviews on a VK earlier and it said that the distortion on it wasn't great for metal, but the people who wrote the reviews may not have tried using actives with the amp. Plus I have a distortion pedal that works wonders for a metal sound anyway.
Quote by Tommy Walker
The wattage is going to depend on what you need it for and how high you can crank it without making roommates, neighbors or parents angry.

Doesn't make any difference in the sound whatsoever? I thought it gave you better sound quality or something... I don't know, I probably sound like a real idiot just basically making shit up. Again, try to bear with me people, I'm really inexperienced with amps and don't have much knowledge of them. lol

I don't even turn the master volume up past half-way on my 15W amp now so I probably shouldn't go past a 30W? lol

Oh and I'm only going to be using it for practice. I don't have a band together yet to do any gigs or anything like that. Me and my friend have been looking for people for a while (Not really to play right now but for the near future). XD
Last edited by RC52190 at Nov 10, 2008,
you can add your pedal to tube amps...maybe didnt have enough raw gain to power it through some super hardcore metal stuff :P

like my peavey 5150 powers thru most metal songs at the louder volume..but my line 6 is used as peavey cant go up too loud in the house without parents going ballistic.
Actives ound wank in the SS line 6, but supreme overlord of the world thru the 5150
Quote by Linkin p4rk
you should put more money into the amp because it makes up your tone more than a guitar.

Yea, but you need a good guitar for a good tone too. I want a guitar more than a new amp anyway.
Quote by fairycake92
you can add your pedal to tube amps...maybe didnt have enough raw gain to power it through some super hardcore metal stuff :P

like my peavey 5150 powers thru most metal songs at the louder volume..but my line 6 is used as peavey cant go up too loud in the house without parents going ballistic.
Actives ound wank in the SS line 6, but supreme overlord of the world thru the 5150

lol Yea but I can't afford a 5150 ):
I know people are going to bitch at me for asking because I could just go look but does Peavey make a 30W VK?
Quote by RC52190
Yea, but you need a good guitar for a good tone too. I want a guitar more than a new amp anyway.

dude grab an esp m-ii and plug it into a fender frontman, then grab a squier hello kitty model and plug that into a bogner uberschall then tell me which one is more vital a good amp or a good guitar
^^ lol
i run my schecter thru a line 6 + a peavey, obv the peavey wins, but i still prefer my crafter thru my line 6..
so im pretty flawed

peavey does a 15 watt VK..
having a good tone is all about your amp mainly good tone is
35 percent => Amp
30 percent => Skills
25 percent => pedals and effects
10 percent => guitar
Quote by ThrasherSkater
having a good tone is all about your amp mainly good tone is
35 percent => Amp
30 percent => Skills
25 percent => pedals and effects
10 percent => guitar

I think your numbers are skewed a bit. It's mostly skills. You could hand Jimmy Page a Fender starter pack and he will make that thing sound like a million bucks. Take a look at Esteban(sp) he sells those cheap ass acoustics, and believe me those are crap, and he makes them sound good.

TS go take your guitar and pedals to the store and plug in to every amp you can. Try your friends and your friends friends. Post an add somewhere asking to try out other peoples amps, most guitarist would say cool, common over and jam. You can listen what everyone tells you here or just use those things mounted to you head and say that's the tone I want.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
dude grab an esp m-ii and plug it into a fender frontman, then grab a squier hello kitty model and plug that into a bogner uberschall then tell me which one is more vital a good amp or a good guitar

I never said a guitar is more vital, I just said that you also need a good guitar as well.
Last edited by RC52190 at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by fairycake92
^^ lol
i run my schecter thru a line 6 + a peavey, obv the peavey wins, but i still prefer my crafter thru my line 6..
so im pretty flawed

peavey does a 15 watt VK..

No 30W VK? If they do make one, is there actually any difference bewteen a 30W VK and a 15W besides potential volume?
Quote by Sin City Sid
I think your numbers are skewed a bit. It's mostly skills. You could hand Jimmy Page a Fender starter pack and he will make that thing sound like a million bucks. Take a look at Esteban(sp) he sells those cheap ass acoustics, and believe me those are crap, and he makes them sound good.

TS go take your guitar and pedals to the store and plug in to every amp you can. Try your friends and your friends friends. Post an add somewhere asking to try out other peoples amps, most guitarist would say cool, common over and jam. You can listen what everyone tells you here or just use those things mounted to you head and say that's the tone I want.

I don't have the time to go putting ads in the paper and traveling to try out random amps all over the city. XD
Quote by RC52190
I don't have the time to go putting ads in the paper and traveling to try out random amps all over the city. XD

I see you have plenty of time to post and read all this. And Peavey does NOT make a 15w VK.
Quote by Sin City Sid
I see you have plenty of time to post and read all this. And Peavey does NOT make a 15w VK.

It takes much less time than running all over the place just to try out a couple amps. o.o I'll just head over to a Guitar Center to do that. :]
So no one has answered the edit in my original post yet... What exactly is the difference between a tube amp and solid state? Also, are there any other classifications of amps? Explain the difference as thouroughly as possible please; all I know is that Tube amps have tubes inside them. XD
Quote by RC52190

For a noob like you i think the BEST thing you can get for youtself is a

1. Vox Valvetronix 1x12
2. A LTD guitar with PASSIVE Pickups

it sounds like you wont be able to fully crank a tube amp, so why get one?
the vox valvetronix has one power tube that doesnt really change tone when the master volume does.

a passive pickup guitar will sound better through the vox than the active.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH53-Electric-Guitar?sku=515730

that guitar will work if you want floyd rose.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by RC52190
So no one has answered the edit in my original post yet... What exactly is the difference between a tube amp and solid state? Also, are there any other classifications of amps? Explain the difference as thouroughly as possible please; all I know is that Tube amps have tubes inside them. XD

solid state amps have a constant tone no matter what the volume, except when the solid state amp is cranked to the max, it will cause the speakers to start clipping (not a good thing)

tube amps generally need to be cranked to sound good. But, cranking a tube amp will be loud. cranking 15 watts of tube is like cranking 40 watts of solid state.

tube amps generally have better tone. with some exceptions

hybrid amps that either have a power tube or a preamp tube are somewhere in the middle, such as vox valvetronix, peavey vyper
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
solid state amps have a constant tone no matter what the volume, except when the solid state amp is cranked to the max, it will cause the speakers to start clipping (not a good thing)

tube amps generally need to be cranked to sound good. But, cranking a tube amp will be loud. cranking 15 watts of tube is like cranking 40 watts of solid state.

hybrid amps that either have a power tube or a preamp tube are somewhere in the middle, such as vox valvetronix, peavey vyper

This.

You can also buy attenuators <sp? English is my second language and I'm translating it to what I think it's spelled like in English> to be able to control the volume signal your tube amplifier will receive while being cranked without breaking your ears and getting kicked out of your neighborhood.

In other words: You will hear the cranked quality sound of the amplifier while limiting the volume being sent to the speakers, therefor, you can hear it at its best with the desired volume.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
attenuators arent cheap tho. next time you go to guitar center try out a valvetronix with a cheaper ltd, versus the mh-1000 or kirk. then make your decision if you really need an expensive guitar.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Peavey makes 8 (royal 8), 50(VK112), and 100(VK212, VK head) watt valvekings
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

The Royal 8 is a 5w with a 8" speaker.
Quote by Sin City Sid

oh yeah... SH*T...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by maiden_mexico
For a noob like you i think the BEST thing you can get for youtself is a

1. Vox Valvetronix 1x12
2. A LTD guitar with PASSIVE Pickups

it sounds like you wont be able to fully crank a tube amp, so why get one?
the vox valvetronix has one power tube that doesnt really change tone when the master volume does.

a passive pickup guitar will sound better through the vox than the active.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH53-Electric-Guitar?sku=515730

that guitar will work if you want floyd rose.

Lawl "A noob like me"

This thread isn't about what guitar I'm getting. I already have my choices made so suggesting a different guitar to "a noob like me" is a wasted effort.

I just won't get the Vox then. lol I'm getting a guitar with actives, not passives so that amp won't be that good for me if it won't sound too good with actives.

And the Peavey VK's are supposed to be really affordable, like as cheap or cheaper than solid state amps of equal wattage so why would I get a solid state amp? I don't exactly know what sets them apart sound-wise, but I know tube amps are better so if I can get one for a good price, I may as well.
Quote by maiden_mexico

Ok now I know the difference at least. Now I can actually make a good call on what to get.

On the contrary to my last post, I may as well just get a solid state then seeing as how I generally can't crank a 15W solid state more than half or three quarters of the way.
Quote by RR787
This.

You can also buy attenuators <sp? English is my second language and I'm translating it to what I think it's spelled like in English> to be able to control the volume signal your tube amplifier will receive while being cranked without breaking your ears and getting kicked out of your neighborhood.

In other words: You will hear the cranked quality sound of the amplifier while limiting the volume being sent to the speakers, therefor, you can hear it at its best with the desired volume.

Hmmm that's something to look into. How much do those generally go for?
Quote by Sin City Sid
Quote by oneblackened

lol Oh yea, I was looking into the VK's the other night and I was checking out the 50W amp (Only because I didn't see one smaller besides the little 5W amp which I don't plan to get) and it looked pretty good but I think it's way more power than anything I'd ever need and too expensive.
Page 1 of 2