Ok, so i got this nice american made fender, and i want to paint it diffrint, it has 1 single coil in the front, 1 single coil in the middle, and a humbucker in the bridge. im painting the guitar black and the pickups are white, can i paint over the pickups including the little silver sensor thing? or do i have to tape over thoughs little sensor things? or i cant paint of the pickups at all, heres some piscs of my pickups

in the end i want the whole thing to look black, body, pickgaurd and pickups, how can i do that?
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
are you just wanting to paint the guitar black?

i would be better to get a black scratch plate and pickup covers, and you cant really pain the humbucker

if you painting the guitat take the neck, bride and all the electronics scratch plate and hardware off and sand it down to the sealer and then re paint it your find tutorials all over the place
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Don't paint the pickups, like ryan said just buy black covers.

[EDIT]
...or you could try removing the covers from the singles and soaking them in strong black dye, probably won't work though. You can't do that with the humbucker though seeing as it doesn't have a cover, just buy a cover for it.

[EDIT again]

You haved an American Strat and you want to butcher it???

You sure it's not a squier
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 9, 2008,
you can just buy black pickup covers, and a black pickguard plus black knobs etc. Sand the body down to the primer and then paint a few coats with black and then clear coat for that extra shine

You can paint over the pole pieces but i would most likely rub off and may effect tone a little bit....

EDIT: Damn i was to slow
Off course u can paint the covers. (don't paint the pole pieces though). But like said before, buying covers is probably better. They are not that expensive.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
If you're relatively knowledgeable in painting you can paint the pickups. But, you would need to mask off the "Sensors" (They're called pole pieces) and you need to do a damn good job. They'll need to be primed, then painted and sealed so it doesn't wear off.

Honestly, if you don't know exactly what you're doing then you shouldn't do it. it'll look like a mess. If you're not confident in doing it then buy some pickup covers like the above posters suggested.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
ya what im going to do is take off the neck, strings, bridge and hardware and just paint the whole thing black, then put everything back on, y i made this is caus i was going to tape over the pickups, so id have a black guitar with white pickups, forgot they made covers for pickups, they make covers for humbuckers?
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Quote by vulcan422
they make covers for humbuckers?

ever seen EMGs?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
I was going to say get a Bare Knuckle cover for the humbucker, but it doesn't look like you can get them separately

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_64&products_id=181

Imagine the Burnt Chrome in a totally black guitar...
It's sex would be on fire.

But the sell sets of single coil covers there, and it's quite possible they do sell humbucker covers separately, and I missed it.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
get those EMG-like covers for yur pickups. But not too sure if covers for single coils exist.
But i would'nt paint my pickups if i were you. In case some paint somehow got into the coils and something happens.
omg, please don't paint an american strat.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Just get a black pickguard, black pickup covers, and black knobs/tips etc.

But I think it'd look just as good if you only changed the pickguard to black.
why dont you just return it, get a black one, and get a black pickguard and covers.

1000 dollar american strats are not guitars to paint.
Its obviously not an american strat, its got 21 frets.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Highwaytohell
why dont you just return it, get a black one, and get a black pickguard and covers.

1000 dollar american strats are not guitars to paint.

Why not?

He can do whatever he likes to the guitar, it belongs to him...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Teh GIR
Its obviously not an american strat, its got 21 frets.

and a six screw bridge, and a 1 ply pickguard, and an ugly red button where the middle tone knob should be
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Musicman48858
and a six screw bridge, and a 1 ply pickguard, and an ugly red button where the middle tone knob should be

/facepalm

It's a killswitch by the looks. The guy most likely just modded his strat. If I replaced a tone pot on an American Strat and put in a killswitch doesn't mean it's not a MIA.

But, it does look like a Squier, the paintjob doesn't look right to be a MIA, IMHO.
Weekend Warrior
Quote by Musicman48858

That button shoots bleach into your eye when you press it.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by ML_Guitar09
/facepalm

It's a killswitch by the looks. The guy most likely just modded his strat. If I replaced a tone pot on an American Strat and put in a killswitch doesn't mean it's not a MIA.

But, it does look like a Squier, the paintjob doesn't look right to be a MIA, IMHO.

Yeah but is has 21 frets.

No American fenders besides the classic reissue ones have 21 frets, they all have 22
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
I knew it was likely a mod... but people that are going to mod american strats usually don't use radio shack buttons for the kill switch.

Of course, people that are going to mod American strats don't want to tape over the pickup pole pieces and go at it with a can of spraypaint either.....
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Tape over the pole pieces? Yust pull the damn thing apart! The covers come right OFF the pickup leaving you with just a piece of plastic and nothing to have to tape. You're gonna pull the pickguard off to paint it anyways!