I'm a beginner and I play a student model Fender (squire) Stratocaster. The problem I'm having is when my guitar is plugged in, there's an annoying humming noise that stops only when I touch the strings. My question is how can I fix this problem and get rid of this humming noise? Can anyone help me on this one? Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
the guitar isnt grounded properly, check the grounding connections of the guitar :P

and shield the control cavity
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
I have this problem too although there is a grounding wire connected to the springs of the trems @ the back
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
^ check the connections the the pots and to the input jack then and shield the cavity better pickups would help too
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Maybe your imput jack is loose.like the guy above said, it could be the grounding connections too. But as long you have distortion on,there is bound to be feedback.

my imput jack went loose just yesterday and i lost my signal but i just screwed it back and it went fine.
i have this same problem. i have narrowed mine down to the pickups.

what you need to do (to check if the problem lies with your pickups) is this:

switch over to the bridge pickup. see if it still humms when you are not touching anything. switch to your other pickups. check for the same thing. if you observe only one of your pickups with that humm, it quite possibly means that the problem lies with that pickup.

and then, i also don't know how to help you after that