Hey guys i have a Hot rod deluxe and im searching for 3 pedals.
I think i only need this atm:
- ovedrive/distortion pedal (more modern, cause for bluesy i use drive channel which works fine for lighter crunch
- Fuzz pedal , for Jimmy , Muse..
- Wah pedal - just cause it's such a great effect.

at the moment i have a boss gt-5 but as i dont need all the effects, and because i like my fender hot rods basic clean i'd like to look at 3 single pedals.
Im looking at a price range of +- €200 for all 3 together, used or new i don't care.

What I had in mind:
- Dunlop original GCB95 crybaby (€50 used)
- Big muff (USA or RUS) for the Fuzz (€60-65 new)
- Tube screamer for sick overdrive ( but which one ! there's so many!!)
u can kill two birds with one stone if u do the hendrix fuzz wah, as for distortion i like the grunge pedal, as long as u can find a way to cut the feedback with noise gate, otherwise its a great effect pedal
What grunge pedal ?
and do they still make the hendrix fuzz wah ?
Last edited by LeanderTh at Nov 9, 2008,
Big Muff, most definitely.
For overdrive, I'd suggest a Digitech Bad Monkey. They're pretty cheap.
No clue on that Wah, though.
English Muff is more of a british overdrive
The Russian Muff has more low end and is more of a stoner metal type deal.
You'd probably like the standard muff.
mhm i assume the russian one is better than the USA one , too bad the russian isnt made anymore , maybe second hand
Quote by ze monsta
The Russian muff is smoother than the USA muff.

This.

They both have midrange scoops. The Russian scoops out more of the upper mids and the USA scoops out more of the lower midrange.

The USA also has more gain.

I think.
Quote by LeanderTh
mhm i assume the russian one is better than the USA one , too bad the russian isnt made anymore , maybe second hand

Neither one is better, just different. The russian muff is made still, and is available at most online retailers for around 53 USD.
i would get a vox wah instead of a crybaby. ive had 3 crybabies crap out on me and i take care of my shit

get a ts-9 for an od

and as for a fuzz there are better options then the big muff. i have on an i dont really like it that much and i play it through a hrd as well

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Boss DS-1/2 or Boss MD-2

The DS-1 and 2 are more your standard Distortion, while the MD-2 is good for heavier genre's with it's Low-End boost.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I'm in the market for the same 3 kinds of pedals.
I've read that you can't get vintage tones (Like Hendrix stuff) out of a Big Muff. Is this true?
Also, how much gain can the Vox wah handle? I'd be playing mostly Hendrix, Clapton (Cream-era), and writing my own music with it.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
not sure. i heard hendrix used the big muff , but might be a lie.
And i got the same doubts on the vox aswell. I've heard that the crybaby can handle more distortion than a vox. Not that I play heavy metal..
^I'm almost positive he used a Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face, which is why theres a Jimi Hendrix reissue fuzz face (made by dunlop)
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by DeltaFunk
Boss DS-1/2 or Boss MD-2

The DS-1 and 2 are more your standard Distortion, while the MD-2 is good for heavier genre's with it's Low-End boost.

No.
TS, go for what people have already reccomended, the big muff, russian or usa is up to you, i would try to stay away from the crybaby unless you mod it, and a tubescreamer, if you are willing the best is the maxon od-808
and btw, stay away from boss for distortion/od
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I had a boss DS-1 and SD-1 but sold both because they werent !WOW!

so:
Fuzz: USA / Rus Big Muff
Overdrive: Maxon OD 808
Wah: Vox V847A wah pedal
that makes +- €280 if i buy all these 3 NEW , bit above my cash thoo

any good or any better suggestions ?
Last edited by LeanderTh at Nov 9, 2008,
Quote by LeanderTh
I had a boss DS-1 and SD-1 but sold both because they werent !WOW!

so:
Fuzz: USA / Rus Big Muff
Overdrive: Maxon OD 808
Wah: Vox V847A wah pedal
that makes +- €280 if i buy all these 3 NEW , bit above my cash thoo

any good or any better suggestions ?

don't buy new, you're getting ripped off
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Well i might be able to find a big muff usa and a vox was used. But i've never seen a maxon on any of the second hand sites of my country..
Don't worry as much about the maxon, you can get a Bad Monkey. That is, until you can afford something better.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
is a bad monkey even better than a casual boss sd-1 pedal ? (just sold one a few days ago)
if you get it in your budget, a fuzz factory will do both hendrix and muse. its actually what matt bellamy from muse uses. the vexter models which are same as hand painted run about $179 usd new. With overdrive i own a hrd and i don't care for the bad monkey all that much but if you can afford it, i know the fulltone ocd is a highly regarded overdrive pedal. there is also the fulldrive 2 by them which is nice too. For wahs most fuzz pedals don't get along with wah pedals. i recommend something with a good buffer in it like rmc wahs.
a Vexter fuzz factory costs €180 here, thats expensive, think i would call that a boutique pedal. student's wallet sucks
i found the ds-2 to be pretty good. can have lots of different tones. as for fuzz id recommend the fuzz factory if you can afford it. it truly a awesome pedal.
Well im still sitting with a Ibanez GSA60 on my Hot rod deluxe. Maybe i should get a new guitar before buying boutique pedals ? not sure
That Fuzz factory is half the price of what a second hand mexican fender costs here
Well as fuzz or distortion i've bought the little big muff, sounds and looks pretty cool. Better built than the regular big muff if u ask me. Not heavy fuzz too, more like a fat distortion to me.
Now im looking for an overdrive + wah.

thanks for the help so far