Hey i was wondering if ther are specific types of headphones for plugging into your amp to play silently, as not to distrub other housemates etc. I have some high quality Phillips ones, but they are really just for listening to music, when i plug them into my amp all i get is really poor sound and everything very muddy-sounding.

My Budget would be about £100 200USD

lol one word: Sennheiser

Seriously i got them for 30 euro and they work perfectly.
They are originally studio headphones so they got to work!

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Personally I would take a look at same Beyerdynamics. They have a really wide frequency response for playing instruments through.

Something like these: http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt770pro.htm or these http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt990pro.htm depending on how you like your headphones would be perfectly adequate.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
There is no way to get a good sound through headphones. Clean sounds are okay, but overdriven it always sounds poor and muddy, just like you described it. You can of course get good headphones that will make the sound somewhat better, but still that's nothing compared to the sound of an amp's speaker.

I use Sennheiser HD280 pro, very good studio headphones for 100€, but don't expect too much.
Im a noob at this but ive heard somewhere that the best result would be when the impedance of the headphone matches the amps.
Anyone know what impedance is most widely used for amps phone output?
My headphone has 120 ohm nominal impedance... Whatever that means...

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R