Hey,
I'm looking into investing in a high-end head. I've played on friends
Mesa Boogie Dual and Triple rectifiers before as well as a Soldano
SLO1000. Characteristics that I'm looking for are very rich and organic
cleans; I have a hollowbody Carvin Holdsworth sig that I use for my cleans.
I don't need anything really in the middle such as a light crunch, or fuzz.
But I do want a very tight, smooth, and harmonically rich overdrive to play
leads with. I mostly play leads in terms of guitar playing; I like fusion as well
as just regular "shred". I don't do much metal riffing, but I want a tight low end
for when I do some riffing. Over all, I mostly play fusion (Greg Howe, Di Meola, Govan, Holdsworth, Sfogli, Gambale, etc.) but with more gain than the aforesaid guitarists. I also play metal; usually technical death stuff like Necrophagist, not much in between, then some of the more stuff like Ozzy, Racer X, Dream Theater (LTE), Symphony X etc.
Amps i'm looking into are the Hughes & Kettner TriAmp® MK II, VHT Sig X, some kind of Mesa Boogie, or maybe an ENGL. I haven't had a change to play any of these (or any other high-end amps) except Mesa Boogies, which I like, but I might keep looking for something better.
Disregard price, but naturally, lower is better. Also, don't compare the aforesaid amps to each other, perhaps to other amps within their perspective price/quality range.
Any help in deciding would be extremely helpful.
Thanks,
-Kevin
I assume you're going used? If you're willing to settle with the Triamp MK1, I've seen them as low as $900.

That being said, I think something like the SLO or Bogner XTC might be good for what you want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I would do a Guthrie and go for something by Cornford, and you can always add a pedal to drive it into higher distortions if need be.

That said, Engl is also the way forward.