Ok guys I`m just a noob at this so take it easy on me.

I really want to push my way into playing and Old School punk style since I just love the whole thing.

But I was wondering you know musically what defines old school punk from new school. Or in general what defines punk from mainstream music in a musical sense.
Stiff records punk/ska = old shit amirite?
Last edited by destijl at Nov 9, 2008,
If you don't know, don't post.

And to TS, it's more or less the intentions behind the music. in the old school bands, that's as fast and heavy as they got, and time has gone on so we can get faster and louder and dirtier sounding.

Dunno how that would be any help.
Just listen to it.

Check the Misfits out, and compare that to like... Green Day or somthin..
A Vulgar Display of Power
Quote by original=punk
If you don't know, don't post.

This.

Quote by Zero_Substance
old school punk is poppier with more emphasis on downstroked powerchords.

Wrong, douchebag!

The early punk bands didn't use power chords. And very few of them used downstrokes exclusively.
Quote by PunkRock OG
Just listen to it.

Check the Misfits out, and compare that to like... Green Day or somthin..

I think those two bands are pretty poor examples of any type of punk, especially since the misfits sort of started their own style and Green Day is hardly representative of any substantial part of the current scene.

Saying "old school punk" isn't that specific either. You could be referring to protopunk, 77, 80's hardcore, powerpop... the list goes on

Care to list off some bands, TS?
Silly as it sounds, start with green day. Then work your way through their influences, onto bands that quite as far removed from the "old-school" punk you seek. Just keep diggin' really, thats what i did/do, anyway.
By "old school" I'm assuming you mean '77 type punk. In that case, learn some blues licks and play them fast and with a good amount of distortion over barre chords.
Quote by KevVin
Silly as it sounds, start with green day. Then work your way through their influences, onto bands that quite as far removed from the "old-school" punk you seek. Just keep diggin' really, thats what i did/do, anyway.

Green Day is a really bad representation of the modern punk scene.

Jack my swag
Quote by BrianApocalypse
This.

Wrong, douchebag!

The early punk bands didn't use power chords. And very few of them used downstrokes exclusively.

People should listen to Brian.

Early punk took a lot of influences from 50s rock 'n' roll (think Chuck Bery), glam rock (T-Rex, Bowie), and even some jazz type licks or methods (Stooges, Contortions). The distortion wasn't as heavy and fuzzy--it was lighter, more over driven, and fairly jagged. Tempos aren't as break neck as say Minor Threat or the Adolescents, and there's more of a swing to it. Like Brian said, lots of open chords (or barre chords) and lots of rhythm patterns as opposed to the down strokes.

You should check out the Voidoids, The Stooges, The New York Dolls, the Damned, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, the Sex Pistols, and Patti Smith.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
People should listen to Brian.

Early punk took a lot of influences from 50s rock 'n' roll (think Chuck Bery), glam rock (T-Rex, Bowie), and even some jazz type licks or methods (Stooges, Contortions). The distortion wasn't as heavy and fuzzy--it was lighter, more over driven, and fairly jagged. Tempos aren't as break neck as say Minor Threat or the Adolescents, and there's more of a swing to it. Like Brian said, lots of open chords (or barre chords) and lots of rhythm patterns as opposed to the down strokes.

You should check out the Voidoids, The Stooges, The New York Dolls, the Damned, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, the Sex Pistols, and Patti Smith.

Jett has a good point here. Listen to him, he seems to know what he's talking about.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Yeah, this is why you guys need to vote for Jett this year.

Vote for Jett - make yourselves erect.
He's right on the money, he's right on your man-cunny.

Vote fagz. Thank you.
Jett's list is good, but seems to be overlooking some very important bands: The Dead Boys, The Clash, The MC5, The Ramones (although they're very obvious), The Buzzcocks, and maybe The Adicts and Sham 69. Crass and The Misfits started in '77 too.
Mmm, MC5, good call, werty. When I think old-school, I don't really think Dead Boys, Sham 69, Crass, or Misfits. I don't think the Misfits represent that at all. Sham 69 were more "oi!" and Crass were more anarcho. They existed at the time, but I wouldn't say old-school in terms of them being '77 or proto.

The Ramones, Buzzcocks, MC5, Dead Boys, The Clash (reluctantly), all good ad ons.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
Mmm, MC5, good call, werty. When I think old-school, I don't really think Dead Boys, Sham 69, Crass, or Misfits. I don't think the Misfits represent that at all. Sham 69 were more "oi!" and Crass were more anarcho. They existed at the time, but I wouldn't say old-school in terms of them being '77 or proto.

The Ramones, Buzzcocks, MC5, Dead Boys, The Clash (reluctantly), all good ad ons.

Yeah, I was kind of hesitant to include Sham 69, Crass, The Adicts, and The Misfits for those reasons.
Quote by Jett Diamond

Yeah I think everything for the main oldschool bands to look up is pretty solid.
I think if TS did want to start looking into 77 punk and such I personally think th eUK Subs are a good direction to look. And as someone mentioned the Adicts, I think they are a good listen to hear sort of a transition to more pop punk. if TS wanted to hear a segway into what people concider modern 'punk' (i say 'punk' because most other derivatives have taken another name, like hardcore or crust, etc.)

-and sort of off topic, but when MC5 and Stooges were mentioned- I just found a Sonic's Rendevous Band album finally and it is ****ing awesome, definitely a great buy for anybody who cares.