Page 1 of 5
I'm a Japanese 16 year old junior that goes to a Protestant American High School in Tokyo.
Every week in wednesday, all the students get togather in the auditorium for Chapel.
And a band, usually comprised by Seniors, juniors, and sophomores, play some worship songs.

Before I say anything, I am a Christian, I believe in God.
Not an extreme one, I still curse like every minute, not at my school, and we should live as how ever we want.
But I am a Christian, even if I rarely go to church in sundays.

Here's the thing: the music that they play at chapel is ****ing terrible.
I'm sorry if you're from my school but I think everyone has the same opinion.
They play at least 3 songs every week and they are usually folky worship songs by some English dude called Matt Redman.
Never heard of him? I don't blame you.
The frequent tracks played are "Blessed be your name" and "One Way Jesus".
And they suck. They just do.
I don't hate folk music, I love Bob Dylan's folk stuff.
But these songs are really bad even if they don't mention about religion.
The songs are worsened when the band itself is pretty terrible.

I have a couple of times requested the worship band to play some hard rock or rock music in general.
They've ignored me and said that I was crazy.
Yes, Christian metal and punk are real genres but they aren't that popular.

Speaking from my faith, I don't think God really cares if we worship him with distortion and over-drive pedals with Ibanez guitars.
Hell, the worship band rarely uses an electric guitar, it's usually boring acoustic chords over and over again.

Discuss, and thanks for reading all my ramblings.
Earplugs Ftw!
Yeah i finally got round to all this, so, what shall i put here?

*insert hillarious ego boosting qoute here*

THE GAME
you just lost it
the only christian rock song I can think of that doesn't suck is that Jars Of Clay song
Jesus only accepts Mozart.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Become Atheist.
SEE THE LIGHT!
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by thedudemeister
How about you just don't play?

No I don't play it, they do.

People stand when they play the three songs of atrociousness.
You don't have to stand, but you end up looking like an idiot if you don't.

If you've ever been to a terrible concert that's what it's like.
It's painful just listening to it, let alone standing up
I never understood Christianity.

A religion that is essentially based on stories about an invisible man that made the universe and a magic zombie that could walk on water and got nailed to a cross.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by radomu
No I don't play it, they do.

People stand when they play the three songs of atrociousness.
You don't have to stand, but you end up looking like an idiot if you don't.

If you've ever been to a terrible concert that's what it's like.
It's painful just listening to it, let alone standing up

Oh I see, well, just don't go then?
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
It would be very hard for everyone to sing a long to metal christian songs. Take the songs for their words and make it a worship experience. Don't look at it like a concert or something where you need to critique the music. Meditate and sing a long with the words and use them to praise God. I'm sure you are their so everyone can worship, not just for like a concert.
read job
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']I never understood Christianity.

A religion that is essentially based on stories about an invisible man that made the universe and a magic zombie that could walk on water and got nailed to a cross.
This.
LMAO, sigged.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by fenderman0100
chapel is a catholic thing protestants go to church not chapel.

We also call it chapel too
Quote by radomu
I've actually considered playing "Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden in talent show next year, seriously, to offend these people

Why bother? It won't really bother them and you'll just get in trouble.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
im pretty sure as i lay dying is a christian metal band . or their just christians playing metal... (pretty sure its the same thing tho) just check them out
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Why bother? It won't really bother them and you'll just get in trouble.

Me:"Six, six, six, the number of the beast!!"
Audience: oh my goodness, he just said sex!

That's probably gonna happen
I don't think they approve rock...

I mean, last year at the high school talent show, many different people played different stuff.
One group did britney spears, one boring group did a bad opera of some latin song, and another did welcome to the jungle by guns and roses.
Welcome to the jungle was the only real rock performance in the entire show and I think everyone was cheering, even me. They were actually good.
But the problem is that the group that one was the opera singers, unbelievable.
Quote by thedudemeister
Damn, who decided who won?

the teachers obviously.
If we did it democratic the band would have won.

I mean they were brilliant.
The senior that sang sounded pretty close to Axel Rose, especially the shanananana knees knees part.
Tut, stupid teachers. Should be left to the crowd.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here

Well if you put anything in those terms you can make it sound ridiculous. Christianity is something that can be hard to understand if you don't see the way God works in your life and there is a faith based component to it.

In regards to the music, my church has a similar problem in that they keep the music very traditional and most of the time they don't have any guitar at all. However, my girlfriend's church uses electric guitar and actually utilizes some soloing and it is very effective. If you want your argument to be more persuasive you might want to tell your musical director that the lackluster music is hindering your ability to worship. If that doesn't work then the best thing you can do is try to focus on the lyrics as opposed to the instruments and keep your mind on the message.
Obviously you havn't heard hillsong play 'One way'

or any half decent band play 'blessed be your name'

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Dude, what do you think ipods are for? Stick it in your pocket, bring the headphones up through your sleeve, and keep your head down pretending to pray while actually listening to heavy metal just loud enough to cover the music so the teachers wouldn't hear, but I didn't have to listen to their gay god bothering tunes.

Have fun

Sanity is not statistical
Quote by Ita3rd
Well if you put anything in those terms you can make it sound ridiculous. Christianity is something that can be hard to understand if you don't see the way God works in your life and there is a faith based component to it.

In regards to the music, my church has a similar problem in that they keep the music very traditional and most of the time they don't have any guitar at all. However, my girlfriend's church uses electric guitar and actually utilizes some soloing and it is very effective. If you want your argument to be more persuasive you might want to tell your musical director that the lackluster music is hindering your ability to worship. If that doesn't work then the best thing you can do is try to focus on the lyrics as opposed to the instruments and keep your mind on the message.

My Korean friend at school... we have lots of Koreans, yes... told me that he played Back in Black by AC/DC at his church.
That's awesome, seriously.
One of the band members told me that they don't play rock because "They're too hard"...

Then play the white stripes or something, they're not hard, especially the drums
Its not the distortion that makes metal the devils music. Its the blues scale.
Quote by kaihansen
Its not the distortion that makes metal the devils music. Its the blues scale.

They should play blues, not folk
What percentage of Japan is Christian? I thought most Japanese were Shintoists... or Buddhists?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
ohh thats cool. so all of this appears to you in jappanese?

honestly, it really is impossible to find a christian band that actually does rock like skillet.

Sigged! (Although edited slightly for size...)
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
My church is pretty open minded about different genres of music. Our guitarists use Gibsons and Fenders with crap loads of effects and they sound awesome. Our lead guitarist even pulls out awesome solos in the middle of some praise songs. One time he did some tapping and played with his teeth and stuff, it was pretty cool. But I guess the christians in your school are a little too traditional.
"When I grow up, I wanna be a vampire bat"

Page 1 of 5