I am looking to turn my bedroom into a recording studio that is capable of recording decent sound qualities for as cheap as possible.

I thought I would turn to UG for help and hope that you could guide me in the right direction in regards to how much I would be looking to spend.

Currently Own:

Cubase 4
Toneport GX1
Good Speakers
Working Guitar/Amp Jack's
2 x Electric Guitar and Stand (1 Strat, 1 Ibanez)
2 x Classical Guitar and Stand (1 Electro, 1 Non)
2 x Steel Acoustic Guitar and Stand (1 Electro, 1 Non)
1 x Bass Guitar and Stand
1 x Keyboard and Stand
3 x Accurate Guitar Tuner
1 x Metronome
1 x Marshall VS65r
1 x 1960's Fuzz Amplifier
1 x Tubescreamer
1 x Morley Power Wah
1 x Boss DD-3 Delay
1 x Danelectro Free Speech Talkbox

What would you reccommend in terms of Mic's etc... And what else will be needed other than the above.

Please include links and prices and personal reviews

thanks

Jamie
^atm im not looking into drums, as i know it's going to be expensive, so im looking at guitar/bass/vocals/keys etcc and then if i get anything out of them then i'll look into drums
First, I would not use Cubase. If you are going to get a mac I would recomend Logic.

You really don't need anything to powerful (don'y let peopel trick you in to anything crazy) I did some really heavy duty recordings with a single core 1.6ghz and 512mb of ram. Check out my profile to see what i did. BTW the drums are all samples so that takes a lot of processing.

If you want power, you can get a very fast quad core for under a grand with everything.

I like the portablity So I picked up a laptop. It is a dual core 2.6 with 4 gigs of ram. It is more then everything that I need. You can get one of those for under a grand and probably much less. Persoanlly, I am a fan of HP's. But I am running a Gatway tablet PC that gets the job done.

The nice thing about getting a laptop, with the ocmbination of the tone port you now have a very portabel studio if ever needed/.

EDIT: I just wanted to note that my computer is a 2.4 not a 2.6 and here is the link http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4124912&Sku=G180-14001&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB55bETCjCVqHCjCdwwp
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Last edited by teknotard at Nov 9, 2008,
Sorry, its early in the morning and i misread your mic statment as mac.

Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
How many instruments at once are you expecting?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
...wow, you really listed ALL of your gear...even down to the tuner lol

Cubase is a good start.

If you want better sound, sell the Toneport and get something like a PreSonus Firebox or FP10 (if you need more inputs). Both offer MIDI in and out which you can use your keyboard with.

Assuming those speakers are not studio monitors, sell those off and get yourself some good monitors for mixing on.

Mics most studios should have are the large condenser (for room and vocals), the Shure SM57 (for cab micing), and a kick drum mic (some use this for micing bass amps).

IT all comes down to what you want to spend and how you want to record everything. There are a ton of ways to setup a studio these days...
You may want to read though Tweak's Guide (in my sig) to get you started.
^ This is just for my literally first studio

im not looking to spend a fortune.

What is the purpose of a pre-amp btw

and are the SM57 & 58 the best budget mic's to record with?
The Toneport GX is an interface and with an adapter you can use mics with it (XLRs) but the preamps on these units, (preamps boost the signal from the weak mic so the computer can work with it) are cheap and will induce noise on your audio when turned up enough to use the SM series mics.

The PreSonus Inspire or EMU 0202 USB are great interfaces at a lower price.

Yes the 57 and 58 are nice mics. Technically you can use the 57 for vocals as well as a bunch of other things.
The 57 doesn't have an on board pop filter and is a little brighter
The 58 does have a pop filter but is a little darker.

Some members here prefer the sound of the 57 for vocals compared to the 58.

Edit, thanks for that catch.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 11, 2008,
^The other way round with the 57 and 58. (The pop filter comment).

EDIT : ^ Yeah, I knew it was just a typo though...
There is poetry in despair.
Last edited by fridge_raider at Nov 11, 2008,
Basically, yes. They are both versatile, low budget mics, but work well. Make sure you use them with a decent preamp though (most integrated audio interface preamps should work fine, just don't try using it plugged directly into your stock soundcard on your computer).

A lot of people swear by the Audix i5, but I haven't personally used it, and I can vouch for the 57 as a solid mic. As can thousands of engineers and producers.
I'd just stick with the SM57 since it's an industry standard. If you want a little different and narrower pickup range (50Hz-16kHz vs 40-15) try out the Audix.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Youtube had a clip comparing the SM57 and the Audix i5
The audio isnt all that great though youtube but in SOME settings the Audix sounded better to my ear. I have only used the 57 in person though.
The range of sound frequencies that the mic picks up.

Personally, I'd stick with the 57. I was just throwing another option out there.
As in vst instruments?

If so, there's a load of free ones on www.kvraudio.com. The Crystal synth and Rez2.0 are both fantastic for the price (nothing) and sound great with a little tweaking.

The 4front Piano module is also pretty decent.

There's loads more. Just search.