i'm getting more into jazz and Hispanic music and i need a new brand of strings i think that ernie balls aren't verry good anymore.

silvertone stratocaster
and i'm getting a glen burton 775 style jazz guitar and i wwill need strings for that to
jazz players use the heaviest strings they can get their hands on, mostly. It's all about tone in jazz.
Stick with Ernie Balls, although D'addarios and Elixirs are alright too.
ok thankyou, but i think their getting cheaper because now they have these wierd flip open bags instead of like the older ones that are aluminum or whatever like a bag of chips
Since you won't be string bending, you do want heavy strings; the heavier, the better.

Maybe look at some 12s or 13s, but you're gonna have to set the guitar up for them.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Rock Pig
jazz players use the heaviest strings they can get their hands on, mostly. It's all about tone in jazz.
Stick with Ernie Balls, although D'addarios and Elixirs are alright too.

umm the opposite of what this guy said. thicker strings do give you a more powerful tone. ummmm jazz is not powerful tone music. id suggest 9s or10s if your playing on a 24 3/4 scale guitar and 9s or 8s if youre playing on a 25 1/2 scale guitar. if you do buy a set of those 8s you might want to buy a few extra high e strings if you like to bend. you will break them constantly but but they give a very light floaty feel. takes a delicate touch with the picking hand though.
heavy strings and you could also do flatwounds, it gives you that great jazzy sound and fast decay.

Quote by MichaelOfCanton
umm the opposite of what this guy said. thicker strings do give you a more powerful tone. ummmm jazz is not powerful tone music. id suggest 9s or10s if your playing on a 24 3/4 scale guitar and 9s or 8s if youre playing on a 25 1/2 scale guitar. if you do buy a set of those 8s you might want to buy a few extra high e strings if you like to bend. you will break them constantly but but they give a very light floaty feel. takes a delicate touch with the picking hand though.

you're not totally right. just isn't completly powerful but it depends on the style of jazz. jazz player use 11-12's, sometimes even 13's.
Last edited by inbloom27 at Nov 9, 2008,
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

Not to sound like an asshole, but do you know quite what you're talking about?
Heavier strings decay a little faster and sound better. "Powerful tone" has nothing really to do with it.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

No.

0.13 flatwound strings are considered standard in jazz.
Quote by Lil Macker
Since you won't be string bending, you do want heavy strings; the heavier, the better.

Maybe look at some 12s or 13s, but you're gonna have to set the guitar up for them.

what if i do want to bend... then should i not get flat wounds
Heavy-ass flatwounds.
The D'Addario Chromes are good.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
does it even matter? it won't dramatically change your tone to the point where everyone will know you switched strings, it will effect your playing however
Quote by ironman1478
does it even matter? it won't dramatically change your tone to the point where everyone will know you switched strings, it will effect your playing however

It will.
If you heard a guitar strung with 0.09s then one strung with 0.13s, you would instantly hear the difference.