i assume it's just for looks. But what kind of affect, if any, would it have on the sound?

i think it's pretty cool, in any case
drape yourself in greenery, become part of the scenery
-British Sea Power
I agree, it is most likely only a cosmetic sound hole. I suppose if you want to get technical then it would boost the treble because of where it is placed (I think) but to be honest the rigidity in the upper part of most acoustic/archtop guitars because of the bracing makes it so it doesn't vibrate much anyway, so the sound should hardly be affected much at all (imho)
They're usually quieter than the normal modern day acoustic guitars. Acoustic guitars used to be designed with arch tops and f-holes because it was the trend at the time(so not just for cosmetic reasons). There are still a few in production now, but it's not nearly as common as back then. It's just how the pioneers of acoustic guitars designed it to be.

I think the next big trend is sound port holes on the side of the guitar. It helps with being able to hear your guitar better acoustically while not sacrificing too much tone, since the sound ports are usually placed near the top where the bracing is stiff and doesn't contribute as much.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I agree with TSelman. The third f hole is most likely purely cosmetic.
Woww. I'm blind. I didnt read "third f hole". All i saw was something something f-hole. but yeah... the 3rd f-hole won't do much besides looking pretty.
Equipment:

Honestly, I'm such a lazy/laid back(take your pick) person that I don't bother to read the whole thread title a lot of times. It's a really bad habit.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Woww. I'm blind. I didnt read "third f hole". All i saw was something something f-hole. but yeah... the 3rd f-hole won't do much besides looking pretty.

haha i was about to sayy..
drape yourself in greenery, become part of the scenery
-British Sea Power
*lols at captivate making a mistake*

*shudders at thought of captivate making a mistake*

*screams histerically because teh world shall end now*
Pot
Kettle
Black