Poll: Does a song need to have vocals for it to be considered a song?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does a song need to have vocals for it to be considered a song?
yes
15 18%
no
68 81%
Voters: 84.
my dad and i are having an argument as to what a song is. I say its any piece of music including instrumentals. my dad says for it to be a song it has to have vocals. i looked it up on webster and it gave me different definitions, some saying a song needs vocals, some saying its a piece of music. so pit help me settle this dispute, which is it? (poll on the way)
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
so beethoven didn't write any songs?

edit: i think if you're a retentive person, your dad is actually right....but honestly....who cares?
the reason being is that "songs" are "sung", hence the vocals....
I agree with your version. Classical wouldn't exist as a genre if your dad was correct.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Songs have vocals. You must be able to sing something for it to be a song. Yes, that is the actual definition of a song, end of. If it does not have vocals you can refer to it as a piece of music.

/thread
A song is a relatively short piece of music featuring vocal melodies over harmonic accompaniment, usually in refrain or binary form.

So you're wrong and your dad is right.

And as for classical music, it is incorrect to refer to the music as "songs". Classical music are referred to by the type of composition of the piece. Beethoven wrote symphonies, sonatas, concertos, chorals, etc. He did not write songs.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Your dad's right.

A song needs lyrics.
A piece of music can be instrumentals.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Xiaoxi
A song is a relatively short piece of music featuring vocal melodies over harmonic accompaniment, usually in refrain or binary form.

So you're wrong and your dad is right.

And as for classical music, it is incorrect to refer to the music as "songs". Classical music are referred to by the type of composition of the piece. Beethoven wrote symphonies, sonatas, concertos, chorals, etc. He did not write songs.

This is right.
Technically a song needs vocals, but its just way easier to refer to any music as a song
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Both of you guys are right.

All instruments make an instrumental song, all vocals make an a capella song

so ha!
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
I should also point out that not merely any piece of music with vocals in it is a song. A song has a specific form, which is short and contain only a few sections.

Operas, masses, chorals, oratorios, etc all have vocals and lyrics, but they are not songs.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It doesn't really matter what we say, if you argue about such trivial things you won't be able to accept that you're wrong and admit this to him.
Quote by Corruption
Both of you guys are right.

All instruments make an instrumental song, all vocals make an a capella song

so ha!

Actually, that is an oxymoron.
Orion?
Call of Ktulu?
Svieri Doroga?
The Last Effort?

for 99% of the population they are songs, not pieces of music.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by TheQuailman
Actually, that is an oxymoron.

How? that doesn't go against itself its not like jumbo shrimp...
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by Corruption
How? that doesn't go against itself its not like jumbo shrimp...

As has been previously stated, a song MUST contain vocals. So there can't be a song that is only instrumental.
I don't think it needs vocals for it to be a song.
Well whad'ya know, it's a female on UG. D:

Shine On, Cast A Shadow.

Quote by hugh20
i love me some fundie christian gayboys

Quote by sglover34479
<3 You = smart.