I'm working on pinch harmonics and sweep picking right now, with the former nearly down, the latter not so much. I'm getting more into writing riffs lately, and it seems when I make something that I like, it's by accident. So, what scales and the like will help me to more easily write riffs? I play many kinds of metal, but mostly like melodic death metal and stuff.

EDIT: I play in Drop C mostly and sometimes in Drop A#. By 'melodic death metal' I mean like Dethklok, Darkest Hour, Children of Bodom, and DevilDriver, but I like Avenged Sevenfold a lot. I also do a lot of chugging.
Last edited by FryingNemo at Nov 9, 2008,
speed picking will be your best friend. Sweeping is very useful but not always necessary. Build up speed in your speed picking. As far as scales, melodic death metal uses minor almost every time. Learn every type of minor scale and become familiar with the Modes
Many metal artists don't know their scales that well. More melodic artists will use the major scale (Dorian mode and the like) (Megadeth) but Metallica's stuff is mostly pentatonic (from what I've seen) with a few drifts into the major. Try alternative tunings aswell.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Oh and for sweep picking, Steve Vai's method is picking through major chords one note at a time (but don't do it as a chord, because you'll look like a moron), but eventually try minor chords and the like.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by jackofclubs
For death metal you want to get good at writing in Drop-C.

The majority of Death Metal isn't in Drop-C.
Accurate picking, the ability to play in time and synchronization between both hands - not particularly glamourous or exciting but by far the most important things to be concerned with....without them you can't do any of the other stuff.

Stuff like sweeping and pinch harmonics is just fluff.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by jackofclubs
For death metal you want to get good at writing in Drop-C.

Nice sarcasm.

Write dissonant things, it should sound well for death metal.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by steven seagull
Stuff like sweeping and pinch harmonics is just fluff.

What do you mean by fluff? That it's not necessary or...?

PH's and sweeps are good chops to have in your armour, especially for metal. Sweeping too much is boring,yes, tho my kitchen floor is spick 'n' span m8.

TS, if you're writing metal riffs, palm muting occasionally will create some dynamics. Basic technique I know, but quite effective.

Re. scales. Harmonic Minor scale and pentatonics ftw.

Edit: Oh, and some tapping licks are always good.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 9, 2008,
Start with your basics. Getting an extremley tight rythm style is far more important than lead playing. Work on lead playing (and by this I mean doing solid exercies, not practicing ormantation like pinch harmonics!), but 80% of the time you will be playing rythm.
Quote by mdc
What do you mean by fluff? That it's not necessary or...?

PH's and sweeps are good chops to have in your armour, especially for metal. Sweeping too much is boring,yes, tho my kitchen floor is spick 'n' span m8.

TS, if you're writing metal riffs, palm muting occasionally will create some dynamics. Basic technique I know, but quite effective.

Re. scales. Harmonic Minor scale and pentatonics ftw.

Edit: Oh, and some tapping licks are always good.

Fluff...as in bits of frilly, disposable stuff that you don't *actually* need. You can play amazing guitar without ever learning to sweep or play pinch harmonics, and arguably you should learn to do that before you worry about them. I know pinches and sweeps and stuff sound great, but ultimately they're not what you rely on...you can't play amazing guitar without rock-solid basic chops.

If you're going to make a sandwich you need bread, butter and meat before you worry about pickles and mayonnaise.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

any styles of music will benefit from : preformance skills ,communication skills .
be clear what you are trying to communicate and play the music (riffs ) to an audience (friends or errr... family ?!? )
see their reaction , is your message conyeying well ?
kinda a noob question...but what scales are commonly used? penatonic? minor ? major etc etc? anywhere i can look to find references? Ive looked in the lessons section and found some scales techniques etc, but nothing on specifics
Quote by steven seagull
If you're going to make a sandwich you need bread, butter and meat before you worry about pickles and mayonnaise.

Eww! You put butter in your sandwiches? What do you add to your cereal, A spoon full of lard?
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Quote by allislost
Eww! You put butter in your sandwiches? What do you add to your cereal, A spoon full of lard?

Beef dripping actually
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Oh ok... sounds tasty. Can you go into more details? I'm getting hungry and i don't know what to eat.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!