Yes, the USA built ones are more expensive, yes they are made in America, yes the USA is the wealthiest nation in the world...

But I've been hearing lots of praises by many artists, like jeff beck, that the Japanese made ones are "better"?
Seriously?

Not that surprised, the Japanese has been the manufacturers of the best quality products with a middle-price range, whether if it's a car or a computer.
Was this supposed to be a question, or a statement?
Quote by Lamont

i once dreamt my wallet was on a helicopter and i chased after it. and eventually i pulled my dick out and lassoed the bottom of the copter and pulled it out of the sky. i woke up screaming
I own a jap strat and it is a great guitar, idk if I would say better than an american but the trem system and bridge are the most unique I have ever seen. Considering the price difference I'd say a nice mid 80s jap strat would be a better buy than an american today, which is 2-3x more expensive.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Well I'm sitting here playing my Fender Japan Mustang and I can tell you it's alot nicer in many ways than the US made ones out today (well I think they're US).
You could get a Tokai Strat back in the 80's at a good price and they were amazing guitars. I think they're Japanese too.
Fender American Deluxe SSS Stratocaster (2004)
Peavey Classic 50
Boss DS-1, BD-2
Jim Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah
You probably know the kind of standards in far Eastern manufacturing are very high. So yes, I can quite imagine the Japanese ones are every bit as good.

Thing is as guitarists, we're all stobs in a way, as we're made to think that US built stuff is the be all and end all. Maybe the fact of the matter is there's just as much skill and time taken over the Jap ones as the US ones?
US strats are technically better crafted, made with better components and have better quality control.

However, Jap's are much more affordable and the worksmanship and everything are very good. So if you're looking to buy one, don't hesitate, Mex strats are very good as well.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Vinnie9
Was this supposed to be a question, or a statement?

It's too weak to be a statement, so it's just a question.

Anyways, I'm a beginner and I don't have a guitar yet.
I heard mustangs go out of tune easily, true?
I'm not sure. But I've heard a lot of good things about MIJ guitars. Japanese people seem to be good at everything.
"When I grow up, I wanna be a vampire bat"

Quote by radomu
It's too weak to be a statement, so it's just a question.

Anyways, I'm a beginner and I don't have a guitar yet.
I heard mustangs go out of tune easily, true?

if this is true, which I don't think it is but I can't give you an 100% answer because I don't have first hand experience, a new set of good tuners won't set you back that much money.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
if this is true, which I don't think it is but I can't give you an 100% answer because I don't have first hand experience, a new set of good tuners won't set you back that much money.

i heard it has problems with the shape and the bridge...
I heard the mexican ones aren't that great but it's mexico then again what do you expect?
Quote by Mazz211
I heard the mexican ones aren't that great but it's mexico then again what do you expect?

brilliant
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Well, i prefer the japanese build quality. The hardware however isn't anywhere near on par with the american models. but that's what you're paying less for. Japanese quality control is super-humanly tight though, by comparison to the occasional friday guitars you get from the american and especially mexican factories.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Mazz211
i have a mexican made strat and it plays pretty good not to expensive either.
i've owned american, japanese and mexican fenders, both guitars & basses... and my opinion is this:

generally... the americans are best in terms of component quality and fit & finish... the japanese are a close second (especially if you get the higher end japanese guitars with alder as opposed to the cheaper basswood models...) i've found the mexicans to be chunky, lumpy & generally a bit shoddy... I had a 5 string mexican jazz bass once and it turned out to have a 7 piece body with top & bottom veneer... it sounded good but reeked of cheap

out of those.. the best value unquestionably are the Japanese instruments... I wouldn't say they were better than US-made Fenders, but they're much better value... you're not paying US-citizen wages, and if you don't have a romantic idea of what 'Made in America' means (it isn't quite as big a deal in europe), you'll probably be delighted with a MIJ/CIJ Fender
out of here
Quote by inflatablefilth
i've owned american, japanese and mexican fenders, both guitars & basses... and my opinion is this:

generally... the americans are best in terms of component quality and fit & finish... the japanese are a close second (especially if you get the higher end japanese guitars with alder as opposed to the cheaper basswood models...) i've found the mexicans to be chunky, lumpy & generally a bit shoddy... I had a 5 string mexican jazz bass once and it turned out to have a 7 piece body with top & bottom veneer... it sounded good but reeked of cheap

out of those.. the best value unquestionably are the Japanese instruments... I wouldn't say they were better than US-made Fenders, but they're much better value... you're not paying US-citizen wages, and if you don't have a romantic idea of what 'Made in America' means (it isn't quite as big a deal in europe), you'll probably be delighted with a MIJ/CIJ Fender

what is that mij cij thing
Quote by Mazz211

ermm depends mate like all other guitars there are some real good ones and some real shithouse ones the mexican's are a big hit and miss but if you find a good one then oh my oh my is it sweet.
Quote by radomu
what is that mij cij thing

made in japan/crafted in japan

similar, but no the same btw.

i personally prefer american above japanese (i'm basing this only on fender jazzmasters), the japanese japs that i have tried weren't great at all IMO, they gave me the impression that the QC isn't really tight in japan. i did however love the american jazzmasters, they were great on every aspect.

IMO you pay more for a USA jazzy, but it's worth it.

i'm not sure if this goes for strats too.
more recent ones are CIJ, i dont think they have MIJ printed on the Japanese models nowadays
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by azn_guitarist25
ermm depends mate like all other guitars there are some real good ones and some real shithouse ones the mexican's are a big hit and miss but if you find a good one then oh my oh my is it sweet.

too true, my MIM strat is crazy. it doesn't detune from tremolo-wankery very often and on the rare occasions that it does its usually just the low E string dropping a little and making all the other strings tighten a little, a simple momentary twist of the tuning peg and its back in tune. And it is just an absolute joy to play, i guess its just the perfect strat for me, because i've just never played any other strat that i've liked as much, MIA or not.

@radomu: different japanese factories printing different text next to the serial number or something. Some of them say "Made in Japan" (MIJ), others say "Crafted in Japan" (CIJ).
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Depend on what time period. In the 80's definitely the Japs were better. Nowadays I'd say the American's are better.

I should clarify. I have a Japanese Fender Strat XII, and it definitely is a very good guitar (I use it as a six string a lot), but American made ones have a little more personality to them than the Japanese ones.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Nov 10, 2008,
Quote by SG Man Forever
Depend on what time period. In the 80's definitely the Japs were better. Nowadays I'd say the American's are better.

I should clarify. I have a Japanese Fender Strat XII, and it definitely is a very good guitar (I use it as a six string a lot), but American made ones have a little more personality to them than the Japanese ones.

Oh yes, the 80's.
I was born in 1992 in Tokyo, but my parents told me stories of them having so much welfare and work (until the crisis in 1991).
My mother, still working as an English-Japanese independent interpreter, worked with big people like Bob Hope, David Bowie, Sting, and other big names during the 80's.
She told me she had to cancel most of the offered works but multinational cooperations.
I have an early 90's MIJ strat. Bought it recently second hand in great condition.

Cost me about 1/3 of a new American. Really a no-brainer.
Secondhand MIJ >>> MIA