It is, technically, what everyone with a tube amp should own
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103174&cp=&sr=1&origkw=multimeter&kw=multimeter&parentPage=search
Would anybody recommend this one? Or is it just one of those things where any one will do, as long as it works?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
yeah, that'll work fine

the cheap ones are really all the same......and any normal person doesn't have any reason to go spending $200 on a Fluke or something

if you really want to bias your amp perfect you'd need a signal generator and oscilloscope

*works with $5000 multimeters at school *
I think at that price range, anything will be fine as long as it works.
You won't really need extreme precision or anything right?
That will work. I use one that I got from Harbor Freight for under $10. The good thing about the RS meter is that it goes up to 500V.
Last edited by fly135 at Nov 9, 2008,
i prefer multimeters with more options than that one. mine wasnt that much more expensive and can measure a lot more than that one. i can get everything on there (but can get higher values) plus temperature, AC current, capacitance and some stuff with transistors. this is the one i have, though they have some other ones that look pretty good too. id go for something from an electronics place other than radio shack, seeing as how RS sucks.
Yeah, but I'll really only be using it to bias my amp's power tubes, so I won't really require oodles of options, would I?

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

^If you ever get building pedals or doing anything else you might. It'll work for what you want, but for the price why not spend a few more bucks and get something that will last and does a bit more if you need it?

I own one of those radioshack ones, but I wish I would've picked up something a little better. Then again, I build pedals so being able to check capacitance and measure transistors would be useful to me.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I don't plan on building pedals in the future. Maybe MODDING some pedals, but I have a friend with experience in electronics who could do that for me. I'm more interested in building guitars than pedals

Stupid name.

Quote by seljer
yeah, that'll work fine

the cheap ones are really all the same......and any normal person doesn't have any reason to go spending $200 on a Fluke or something

Nope, but it is nice when your dad is an electrician and owns a Fluke that you can use any time you need it. Mmmm, Fluke.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Shinozoku
I don't plan on building pedals in the future. Maybe MODDING some pedals, but I have a friend with experience in electronics who could do that for me. I'm more interested in building guitars than pedals

Modding pedals is only a 1/4 step away from actually building them. I think modding is more a pain in the butt than building from scratch since you have to desolder the old components.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Good point But after further thought, the only thing I'd really wanna mod is the modules on my amp. I'm basically gonna get an EQ and a chorus/delay for it and that'll be the extent of the pedals I use. But as for the Randall preamp modules, I'll basically be swapping tubes and changing caps to get the sound better. My SL+ I might just send in to get modded with the JCM 800 mod and ge the switch put in to go between that and the original sound.

Thanks for your help and advice though! I'll keep it in mind if I do ever decide to do much more with electronics (like I said, my friend already has experience working with the electronics, so I might just get him to do any work like that I need done).

Stupid name.