Page 1 of 2
So... I've recently developed a nickel allergy, and it sucks pretty hardcore. I've noticed that I get contact dermatitis after playing guitar, but when I get overwhelmed with homework and don't play as much, I don't have any contact dermatitis. I've concluded that it must be the strings and from what I've seen, all strings are nickel based? Which makes sense since the pickups use magnets.

So, my question to you is: What do you guitar players out there who are allergic to nickel do? Are there strings I can use? Or will I just have to deal with it? Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

EDIT:
Strings to try:
Steel strings (GHS )
Coated Strings (Black Beauties , DM Blue Steel , Elixir )
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
FUNDS: $600
Last edited by EtherealAmateur at Nov 9, 2008,
i think u can get steel strings
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Last edited by Vampire 255 at Nov 9, 2008,
it might also be the hardware, if it's silver and not chromed, it's probably nickel. You can get steel based strings, and you can get non-nickel based hardware, if that's the problem.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
most electric guitar strings are nickel/nickel plated steel

acoustics usually use bronze instead (because of their no need for that magnet stuff)

d'addarios flatwound strings are chrome plated I think....though that'll give you a really dull sound
Quote by Vampire 255
i think u can get steet strings

I think you mean steel strings? Unless that is a brand? Either way, what brand/kind do you recommend? If you could provide a link, that'd be awesome. Unless, they are all the same.

Would these work link ?

Quote by muse-ik
it might also be the hardware, if it's silver and not chromed, it's probably nickel. You can get steel based strings, and you can get non-nickel based hardware, if that's the problem.

I don't think its the hardware. I have a tendency to rest my wrist on the saddles, and I don't seem to break out there. It appears to be mostly the place my fingers rest after I play. For example, I rubbed my eye one time and it got swollen the next day.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
Quote by EtherealAmateur
Would these work link ?

I don't know, because there plated with steel. I'm almost positive they make 100% steel strings.
you can get gold string as well... I saw them at a guitar show i went to. The Gold will probably be the best bet because its so unreactive it wont react with your skin. (hence y its used in earrings)
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

Ok... For future reference (In case someone else has a nickel allergy) and a slight update, I've done a little bit of recent (A quick Google search ), and this is what I've found:

d'addario prosteels and chromes
---- Contain nickel windings and probably shouldn't be used.

Allegedly, GHS super steels and Optima Gold/High Grade steel strings do not cause a nickel reaction; however, Optima seems to be ungodly expensive ($40.00 for one set of strings?!?) and I'm not sure of the quality of GHS.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
you can get strings with a blue plating, it may be blue steel i don't know, but i doubt that'll have nickel, or atleast nickel you'd contact directly, plus they look pretty cool
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by EtherealAmateur
Ok... For future reference (In case someone else has a nickel allergy) and a slight update, I've done a little bit of recent (A quick Google search ), and this is what I've found:

Allegedly, GHS super steels and Optima Gold/High Grade steel strings do not cause a nickel reaction; however, Optima seems to be ungodly expensive ($40.00 for one set of strings?!?) and I'm not sure of the quality of GHS.

GHS are alright (only tried them once or twice since I had to order over the net)
Maybe you should get diagnosed by a doctor first, just you know for sure.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Maybe you should get diagnosed by a doctor first, just you know for sure.

I was diagnosed back in July. I just recently realized the correlation between the amount of time I practice and the severity of the contact dermatitis. I'm allergic to nickel, cobalt, and zinc. Lol nickel is everywhere o.O

EDIT:
Quote by seljer
GHS are alright (only tried them once or twice since I had to order over the net)

Alright, I'll give them a go as soon as I order some.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
In that case, may I suggest some coated strings... like black ones or something?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by EtherealAmateur

Now you know what us bassists have to deal with... my strings are usually atleast $35
Bass

Fender Aerodyne P-Bass Special (CIJ)
Yorkville 400B head and Eden 2x10 Cab

Guitar
Godin SDxt with rare lacewood top
Peavey Studio Pro 40
Line 6 POD xt live
Try these. They're stainless steel instead of nickel steel:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-2246-Stainless-Steel-Regular-Slinky-Electric-Guitar-Strings?sku=100637

They make them in other gauges, too.

If the hardware on your guitar is nickel plated and is giving you problems, you are probably going to have to switch it out with chrome plated or gold plated hardware.
Quote by hall1k
Now you know what us bassists have to deal with... my strings are usually atleast $35

But they don´t break and degrade like guitar strings.

Also remember that your frets are likely nickel silver... You could get them in stainless steel also but it would be costly. Steel strings will chew down on nickel frets a lot faster than nickel strings... so be aware of that.
Last edited by Vlasco at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by EtherealAmateur
....and I'm not sure of the quality of GHS.

I had my Strat get a proper setup at a professional shop, and they restringed it with GHS strings.

Now, i can't tell you exactly which kind of strings, but these are pretty good...
I have them on for 4 months now, and they sound almost as good as they did in the first day, they keep in tune quite well, and they went through 2 intense night gigs.

I'm pretty satisfied with the GHS currently installed in my Strat, and i would recommend the brand.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Frets?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by muse-ik

Yes, The frets have nickel in them. There isn't any silver in a guitar though., Not unless it's custom ordered for it or is a limited edition or something like that. OP, There are such things as guitars with stainless steel frets. Maybe you could look into that or having your guitar refretted with stainless frets. (Refrets are expensive though, It's a sensitive job that requires a lot of care)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Vlasco
I think he just means silver in appearance

Yes, I realize he may mean that. But other people may take it for granted that frets are made out of silver even though they aren't.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Ah yes, that is true.

Nickel-Silver having no silver is kind of misleading.
You can get stainless steel strings and hardware. You might want to try the coated strings such as elixers also. Nickle allergies suck since it is used is so many metallic alloys.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
This thread is from 2008, guys :|

Also, if TS is allergic to nickel, cobalt, and zinc, he can't use alnico pickups, as all three are present in alnico.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by ticklemeemo
Maybe colored strings would help? Like Black Beauty or whatever they are called.

theyre called dr coated stirngs and although i think they sound like sex the coating comes off after a while of playing
old Thread Is Old
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If the coated electric strings are similar to the acoustic coated ones then they will not work. After playing a set for about 6 hours they begin to flake everywhere so it would expose the nickel once again.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
^his question was answered a year ago.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Use sheepskin....OH WAIT, we're referring to guitar strings. Uhm, I know some people make bronze and phosphor strings, but I believe those are mainly for acoustic. Still worth trying though.
I didnt check the date, I just saw it on the first page and figured I would throw in my 2 cents.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
old Thread Is Old
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Guitar strings are made from a number of different materials. An acoustic guitar may have steel or nylon (or even, occasionally, gut) strings. Electric guitar strings are always made of steel, but it’s not that straight forward. On a classical guitar, the strings are made of nylon. Again, the thicker strings are wound with metal, but these are still classed as nylon strings, as the string core is made of nylon. You may come across some alternative materials/ coatings for steel strings. Some people have a nickel allergy, and playing conventional strings could cause irritation on their skin, so some manufacturers make strings with a low/no nickel content. Also, strings will corrode with sweat, etc. so there have been a few attempts to market strings with coatings intended to protect the string – such as gold, chrome and even ‘Gore’Tex’.
Last edited by danneva at Aug 8, 2010,
Page 1 of 2