my friend is looking at getting the epi valve jr 5 watt head, and either a 1x12, or possibly a 2x12
how loud is it?
I know tube stuff is loud and you shouldn't underestimate them, their very loud, but could they get over a very loud drummer?
and would getting a 2x12 be worth it?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
i don't think it'll get over a drummer and stay clean. may not even get over a drummer when dirty (could be wrong, though). conversely, it's very loud indeed if you're only playing at home.

i think the main problem is that if you buy the VJ + a good cabinet, you could just buy a nicer amp which probably would do what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't think it'll get over a drummer and stay clean. may not even get over a drummer when dirty (could be wrong, though). conversely, it's very loud indeed if you're only playing at home.

i think the main problem is that if you buy the VJ + a good cabinet, you could just buy a nicer amp which probably would do what you want.

he's looking for pure power amp saturation you see?
so dirty or clean doesn't matter, he just wants an amp that you can put it to ten and get a nice dirty tone with
so what would you recommend for that (this is like a pretty classic rock voiced tone too)
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
either way it will have to miked up to be heard over a drummer. for just pure power saturation a killer ant or zvex nano for like recording.
i used my epi vj through my cheap crappy crate 4x12 and it was just barely heard in a full band setting.

he should look into used a peavey classic 30 for good classic rock tones and plenty of volume.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
if you want pure power tube saturation for jamming with a drummer i'd say go for a 15 watter. 5 watts won't be enough to be heard over a drummer. Likewise 30 watts is a bit too much, unless you have a very very loud drummer.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I'd say 15 watts is good if you want power tube saturation. Maybe 30 if you like some clean headroom.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
we're looking for like under 200 USD of power tube saturation
and their doesn't need to be any features (sounds a lot like a epi valve jr.)
anything that will get over a drummer thats that inexpensive?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
blackheart handsome devil? not entirely sure if it's out yet, or the price.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Crate v50. It's $200.

Just this friday I gigged with one(albeit Crate v50 S.E.), and the other guitarist used a regular one.

We didn't have a drummer, but instead a drum backing track hooked up to a PA to be heard over 1400 people. We didn't even have to crank the amps past 4 to get some really nice tone that cut through the entire mix.

You'll like the v50 alot better, you cant really beat it for it's price right now

or i think the v18's and v33's are the same price though
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

A 15 watt amp would be pretty good, you might not be able to turn it to 12 and rip the knob off, but you should be getting a lot of powertube distortion.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
An Epi Valve jr. is not going to cut it for you, But the V18 2x12 just might. They are about $200 right now.
Quote by acdclandon
he's looking for pure power amp saturation you see?
so dirty or clean doesn't matter, he just wants an amp that you can put it to ten and get a nice dirty tone with
so what would you recommend for that (this is like a pretty classic rock voiced tone too)

ah, ok. the vj doesn't sound all that great cranked to 10 either, imo, it sounds best around the 11-2 o'clock position, if you ask me. it's also not terribly versatile...

my guess is that something around 15-30 watts would be better...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?