I've noticed recently that a lot of bands get famous simply for rather...umm...strange things that they do. I mean, look at Fall Out Boy. Sure, they were pretty big before the incident happened but I'm sure the nude pics deal pretty much sky-rocketed their fame. Escape the Fate have gotten so much attention recently just because the vocalist who isn't even in the band anymore (well, it's because of this reason) because he's in jail. Is this really how low you have to stoop to become famous? Is it the easiest method anyway? Would you do that for a shot at fame? Discuss Pit-Dwellers, I feel like an intelligent thread today, maybe back to the lulzy pitness later

Oh, and I apologise for the ummm...nature of bands mentioned, I'm not saying I like them, and yes, there are PLENTY more and MUCH BETTER examples, but they're the first ones that I thought of. So let's not turn this into a "ZOMG, FOB R TEH N00BZ CZ DEY DONT SHREDZORZ" or "ETF? Pfffffft, another hair-straightener emo fag band", kay guise?
Quote by whiteraven119
My new hero. Anyone willing to use lethal martial arts against hxc kids is amazing.

That's me

Quote by jaridv1
my penis has a restraining order against me because i beat it

Record companies are looking for the highest sales. Why do you think disgusting, profane lyrics are so popular? They draw people in.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Easiest way to become famous is go on something like Big Brother.
but i dont think you can call that fame..
It makes for higher sales in the short term, but that fame doesn't last. Fall Out Boy would be big even without the n00dz.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
it gets them in the public eye, people get interested = listen ~ like = stardom for group...
they get lucky because there music skills arent good enough to distinc them from the masses
LET THE CHIPS FALL WHERE THEY MAY

I don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die (about women) - Jens Ludwig

Quote by leony03
That made me lol so hard!!!

yay
Have I been living under a rock? I only had a very faint idea there were some sort of nude pics with Fall Out Boy. They weren't of Pete Wentz were they? See, that would be typical, because the record companies find something about the band to focus on, then draw all the attention they can to it.

That was a very vague form of theory. But, as I live under a rock, can you please enlighten me. Do, um, credable bands (?) do that sort of thing? Or is it just the Fall Out Boy type?
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
Quote by LastToKnow
Have I been living under a rock? I only had a very faint idea there were some sort of nude pics with Fall Out Boy. They weren't of Pete Wentz were they? See, that would be typical, because the record companies find something about the band to focus on, then draw all the attention they can to it.

That was a very vague form of theory. But, as I live under a rock, can you please enlighten me. Do, um, credable bands (?) do that sort of thing? Or is it just the Fall Out Boy type?

Credible bands usually spend years of their life writing the best songs of their ability and gigging relentlessly without having to spend unnecessary amounts of time on their image or publicity so that they can concentrate on their sound. Don't worry. I'm not talking about bands like Led Zeppelin here.

Cheers for the replies guys. Though I'm assuming by the short amount of replies this thread isn't going to last very long and today isn't a very serious discussion day for the pit. To be fair, there is a thread about spiders. I'm gonna go and lurk. Inabit
Quote by whiteraven119
My new hero. Anyone willing to use lethal martial arts against hxc kids is amazing.

That's me

Quote by jaridv1

Last edited by Lostprophets$$$ at Nov 9, 2008,
do you think fall out boy or escape the fate wanted either of those things to happen. No fob almost broke up because of that and im pretty sure etf didnt want ronnie in jail.
Quote by lordneezi
do you think fall out boy or escape the fate wanted either of those things to happen. No fob almost broke up because of that and im pretty sure etf didnt want ronnie in jail.

Never said they did my friend, never said they did. I know FOB nearly broke up because of it, Wentz was stressing like crazy at the time and wanted to quit. And of course ETF didn't want Ronnie to leave, he's a more-suited vocalist for their style of music than Craig, and Craig suited BlessTheFall much more. But that's completely unrelated to this topic. These incidents did sky-rocket their fame, and that's what we're discussing No need to stress at me lad.
Quote by whiteraven119

That's me

Quote by jaridv1

Im pretty sure the easiest way to get fame is to make good music, which is something many bands can not do.
[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q264/chw42/spiderjamesPJsig.png[/IMG]
Quote by PearlJames
Im pretty sure the easiest way to get fame is to make good music, which is something many bands can not do.

It's a hopeful thought, but not true unfortunately. There are plenty of bands that write amazing music that never get famous, and plenty of less-talented bands that do.
Quote by whiteraven119

That's me

Quote by jaridv1

Quote by Lostprophets$$$
It's a hopeful thought, but not true unfortunately. There are plenty of bands that write amazing music that never get famous, and plenty of less-talented bands that do.

The reason this happens is that every one has conflicting opinions of what is "good" music. This is also the reason there will never be a band that EVERYONE will like.
Quote by landerson
The reason this happens is that every one has conflicting opinions of what is "good" music. This is also the reason there will never be a band that EVERYONE will like.

Exactly. It all comes down to opinion
Quote by whiteraven119

That's me

Quote by jaridv1

I've heard nothing about either of those examples.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Oli Sykes peed on a girl, but I don't really see BMtH in the mainstream. And what about the ****ed up events of Mayhem? I don't think anyone that doesn't look for music even knows about that.

Point is, tons of things happen to many different people. A portion are in bands, and few are in successful bands. We just so happen to just here about the few celebrities because that's what the media's looking for.
Quote by lordneezi

You've gotta be kidding me. No matter how young you are, you can't be this naive...

Why would Fall Out Boy break up over some nude pictures on the internet?
How did they wind up on the internet anyway? By "accident" ?

Seems to me an awful lot of famous people are getting caught with n00dz and getting awfully more famous post-incident.

And I'll bet that FOB's album sales/concert ticket sales increased substantially.

Everything is media-manipulated these days, everything. I don't trust what I see on TV, and neither should anyone else.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
Oli Sykes peed on a girl, but I don't really see BMtH in the mainstream. And what about the ****ed up events of Mayhem? I don't think anyone that doesn't look for music even knows about that.

Point is, tons of things happen to many different people. A portion are in bands, and few are in successful bands. We just so happen to just here about the few celebrities because that's what the media's looking for.

Where I live, BMTH are incredibly popular, it helps that I look like Oli too
chili peppers used to all sortsa stuff, like jump off buildings and march into label board meetings naked and go mental at them, dress up as lightbulbs. all sorts, and i think its safe to say theyre fairly huge.
mind you, i think thats pretty much due to the success of anthony's book.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by Orbit91

unlucky!!!
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by elliott FTW
unlucky!!!

Yeah, it sucks getting stared at by random slags
Quote by Orbit91

I'm gonna have to agree. BMTH are HUGE where I live. And none of the scene kids knew who they were til the famous "pissing" incident. I mean, a few of them did, but most of them only know them now. Still, the real br00t4l kids are too br00t4l for BMTH. Anyhoo, that's irrelevant ^_^
Quote by whiteraven119

That's me

Quote by jaridv1

Do black metal and just do crazy stuff like Gaahl does and Mayhem did, and I'll bet you'd get a lot of attention.
Quote by Lostprophets$$$
Is it the easiest method?

Yes, but also the most idiotic and least self-respecting way.
Quote by PearlJames

YOU CRACK DAT SOULJA BOY SUPERMAN DAT HOE YOU CRACK DAT SOULJA BOY SUPERMAN DAT HOE YOU CRACK DAT SOULJA BOY SUPERMAN DAT HOE YOU CRACK DAT SOULJA BOY SUPERMAN DAT HOE YOU CRACK DAT SOULJA BOY SUPERMAN DAT HOE YOU CRACK DAT SOULJA BOY SUPERMAN DAT HOE

Unless Soulja Boy doesn't count as a band, you are not entirely correct.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by vintage x metal
Record companies are looking for the highest sales. Why do you think disgusting, profane lyrics are so popular? They draw people in.

Agreed, the PMRC actually helped the artists they were trying to censor, all because of the notoriety given to the bands. I remember an interview with Glen Benton (Deicide), and he was asked whether he minded having the Parental Advisary sticker on his albums, he said he loves it, since he sells more records.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by TheQuailman
So the vocalist from fall out boy got arrested for being nekkid?

the bassist posted his doodle on the internets
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by Lostprophets$$$
I'm gonna have to agree. BMTH are HUGE where I live. And none of the scene kids knew who they were til the famous "pissing" incident. I mean, a few of them did, but most of them only know them now. Still, the real br00t4l kids are too br00t4l for BMTH. Anyhoo, that's irrelevant ^_^

Glad you agree, I'm probably going to get raped when I go down to Manchester Academy on the 16th
The easiest way to be famous is probably to kill a bunch of prostitutes. You'll be on the news for weeks.
Look at Katy Perry's "Kissed a Girl" (as much as I hate it and her)

big publicity stunt in a little disguise. She gets superfamous with one song.

now, can she follow it up? can she make something else that is totally lacking in every area besides controversiality? Especially by today's standards, that's gonna be hard.

so in short, she's gonna be a one hit wonder, then fade away.

Publicity stunts give you only a short time in the spotlight.
Last edited by GrungeJunkie at Nov 9, 2008,
Yes it is, and celebrities have found a formula.

In the past, one-hit-wonders had their fame and then disappeared. Nowadays, people like Amy Winehouse and Britney Spears just do drugs and create controversy so they still can have that attention. People for some reason like that and that is why they are on magazine covers every other day.

Meanwhile, today's rock bands don't get popular through publicity stunts since rock music isn't as popular in the MTV watchers and tabloid readers.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.