i was wondering if my guitar recordings would sound better if i used a condensor mic... curently ive been just plugging my guitar into the amp into the computer... would the condensor mic be the best investment for a better sounding recording?
If you get a good dynamic mic, it would be fine. Mic placement is the most important thing though
For distorted electric guitar, you're just fine with a dynamic mic. Try an SM57. They're cheap, reliable, sound decent, and are used for miking guitar cabs in major studios around the world.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
yeah dynamic mics are really all you need for close micing amps, I kinda prefer a sennheiser MD421 over the 57. I only use a condenser for electric guitars if i want a room mic as well as a close mic
no dice.
Dynamics seem to fit electric guitar more closely frequency-wise. Also, they are built to handle the high sound levels (you can really make use of the bass rich proximity effect)...many condensers aren't. That said, there are some good condensers (ribbons too) for guitar, but 99% of the time, a dynamic will be cheaper and better at the job.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by TheBassist101
yeah dynamic mics are really all you need for close micing amps, I kinda prefer a sennheiser MD421 over the 57. I only use a condenser for electric guitars if i want a room mic as well as a close mic

The 421 is a nice mic. I'd like to get one of those. I didn't suggest it only because the 57 is about half the price.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^^ true true, the 421 is totally worth the money, and every bit as versatile as a 57
no dice.