So I went into my first guitar lesson yesterday (after 4 years of playing) and I found it really helpful.

After playing really simple blues and rock, and not really going anywhere for four years, I wanted to shake things up and learn how to shred, play metal, and sound really bad ass on a guitar.

He taught me a new way to hold my pick, between the pad of my thumb and the side of my index finger, with my hand in a fist. I believe this is pretty much how everyone holds a pick.

He also told me not to move my wrist when I pick, but to move my whole forearm. Like, rather than "plucking" the string with a rotating motion of my wrist, to move my forearm up and down to hit the string.

He also taught me a speed exercise, and the minor scale.

My problems are:

1: Holding the pick this way is incredibly uncomfortable, and the rest of my fingers hit the string when I'm playing, meaning I'm not really playing, I'm just scraping the tops of my fingers. It isn't really fun.

2: I actually am unable to move my arm and not my wrist. I have been trying for about an hour now, and nothing I can to will stop my wrist from rotating and plucking the string like I'm used to doing.

Should I wait until next Saturday and tell him I'm having a lot of trouble, should I keep trying this way even though I'm not really sure how to do it right, or can UG tell me something helpful or point me to a website or video that can help show me proper picking technique?

Thanks a ton.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Using the whole arm is okay for slow strumming. For ANYTHING else, use your wrist only! Doesn't sound like he knows what he's doing.

Keep using your wrist.
im pretty sure there shouldnt be any elbow involved in the picking process other than going between strings =s hmmm...

however i do it from time to time to get a chunkier sound but i wouldnt advise doing it for long periods of shred because of the risk of elbow problems.

I remember an article on here saying that the elbow was for big movements NOT small movements ( picking is a small precise movement)

YNGWEDIT: relaxation is the key...ur fretting hand and picking hand should be relaxed.
the way he s telling you to hold the pick is correct. THe rest of your hand should be as relaxed as possible (in a loose fist)
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

Last edited by YngwieJnr at Nov 9, 2008,
Really?

Cause he was shredding with that method and he sounded really really good. There were no mistakes or anything, I even asked him to just go with a totally clean sound and I could pick out maybe one or two mistakes in his whole run of about 2 minutes...

I'll ask about it next Saturday. Thanks man.

Any other ideas on the arm-movement thing or the pick holding?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I hold my pick that way with the thumb and finger, but I don't bunch up in a fist. I just let my fingers relax and hang down. Its comforatable for me.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
That is the correct way of holding the pick, and when you get used to it it will be much better than before, but use the wrist when you pick, not the whole arm.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
i play metal,and i usualy hold the pick between my thumb and index finger and let my other fingers hang lose,usualy when doing power cords or other stuff were i hit a bung of string i use my whole fore arm,but when im doing things like alternative picking,tremelo or other thing that are fast i use my wrist,i also use my fore-arm when jumping through strings
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
are you sure he wasnt telling you to move your Wrist sideways (not rotate it as much) because i move my wrist sideways and rotate it in my picking motion.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

Quote by HomerSGR
That is the correct way of holding the pick, and when you get used to it it will be much better than before, but use the wrist when you pick, not the whole arm.

That is sort of what I thought. I feel like I can get used to this method of holding my pick. It gives me more control and speed, it is just uncomfortable at first.

Quote by YngwieJnr
are you sure he wasnt telling you to move your Wrist sideways (not rotate it as much) because i move my wrist sideways and rotate it in my picking motion.

I had suspected that, until he told me not to use my wrist. Just use my arm. Then he played some shit that sounded really cool, so I believed him .

Thanks for the replies you guys, it really has helped. I'll ask the teacher next time I see him.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
^ He is a great guitar teacher man! Wow.

Thanks for those videos, I'm going to check more of them out.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo