Hey everybody, been playing guitar for a year and a half and just got my new ESP LTD M-100FM, which I am extremely happy with .

Anyways I have come into a bit of cash and I am confused as to what to get. I was thinking about getting some new pickup for it as the stock ones arn't that great (EMG 81's) or to buy a new amp for a similar price.

From what I have seen normally the amp would be the obvious choice, because I've still got this shitty small one from back when I first started playing. That doesn't bother me when I'm practicing at home. The course im on at college provides amps when I'm there and when I'm playing with bands they normally have a good amp for me to use there.

I know you guys know what your talking about so thats why I came here Thanks in advance for any help you have.
The emgs would likely be a waste on that amp....so a new amp would be your best bet!

EDIT: The way you explain it actually makes it sound like you dont use that amp too much though, really depends how often you do!
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Last edited by Metfan1991 at Nov 9, 2008,
Better to get a new amp. You might play some gigs, and you won't be able to take your college amp everywhere, do you?
amp, dont get emg unless you have a really pricey amp, theyre just a waste of money. they really dont sound any different from any other pup unless youhave a mesa rectifier amp xD
Thanks for the replys

The amp was the obvious choice for me at the start but I really don't use my amp much anyway, since I have no practice space so I normally just play whatever I am practicing unplugged. The amps that I use at college are some really nice Marshalls, can't remember the model but they sound great.

Since the course I'm on has us peforming in various venues they have amps set up for us and for outside bands people ask me to drum most of the time because there is a large lack of drummers in my area and I'm a much better drummer than guitarist.

Getting a new amp for me would really just be there for a "what if" in case I get recruited into a band that needs a guitarist.
Definetly the amp. EMGs will not sound particularly good unless you're using a nice tube amp, in fact they probably won't make any difference to your sound. Get a nice tube amp
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Yeah I think I will get an amp, you guys have convinced me hehe. Thanks again.
new amp, im guessing you dont want to spend too much money so i recommend either getting a peavey vyper or a roland cube if you want a SS amp.

if you want a 5w tube amp though, Id recommend one of these
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackheart-BH5-112-5W-1x12-Little-Giant-Tube-Combo-Amp-481675-i1387317.gc

hope i helped
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
The peavey vypyr looks like a good value amp, I think I'll pick up one of those

Thanks