Hi, I am very new to the guitar scene and my sister bought me a really cheap guitar/amp combo a few months ago. I've been teaching myself how to play since then and I just recently bought a new Marshall Amp. When I connect my shitty guitar to my new amp and go to the distortion channel I get A LOT of feedback from the amp and it's almost unplayable. The clean channel is fine, but the distortion really messes up the sound.

I'm pretty sure this has to do w/ my shitty 80 dollar guitar.. it's a Lyon by Washburn. Now I don't know exactly how important pickups are and was wondering if new pickups would fix this or should I invest in a new guitar?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
maybe the volume knob on the overdrive channel is just turned up way too high... turn it down and i think it should be fine...
Get a New guitar not new pickups
My Stuff:
Epiphone SG
Jackson DK2M
Dean DOFlage ML
Dean Razorback db
VOX Valvetronix VT30
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech RP90

Add me...
New guitar, it's probably made out of plywood so don't spend money on it. It might be a great beginner guitar but if you're willing to progress get something like a pacifica.
That marshall is very loud on the overdrive channel. To some extent it is the guitar but it will mostly be the amp
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Quote by SG RocKeR4485
Get a New guitar not new pickups

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I was in a guitar center the other day and was playing this one Ibanez guitar.. I forget the model number but it was about 400 dollars. Sounded really nice and seemed much easier to play than mine
New amp > new guitar > new pickups.

Applies to you.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
New amp > new guitar > new pickups.

Applies to you.

Ok awesome. Thank you!! and yeah i was told to get a new amp first. So i did.. and it sounds like SHIT with my guitar.. soudned amazing w/ an Ibanez i hooked up to it at the store.. I'll prolly end up getting an Ibanez soon
It is the pickups.

especially if they are single coil pickups.
cheap pickups will do that.

I would not reccomend getting new pickups, I would reccomend buying a whole new guitar.

1 pickup for a good one would be about $70..which is almost the cost of your guitar.

I've seen $600 guitars with noisy pickups, so try it out before you buy.

(It's not the amp)

but putting the gain down lower for now should get rid of a lot of the noise/feedback
It sounds like you are standing too close the amp, but it also could be the guitar or the amp itself, because the MG isn't exactly a great amp. IMO you should buy a new guitar, because it sounds like it could be the guitar and it's playability is probably in the toilet.
Quote by Viper786
I got a Marshall MG30DFX Combo

Well there's your problem

Quote by Viper786
MG30DFX

More specifically in this region.

Quote by Viper786
MG

Precisely right here.

MGs are not known for being... good. At all.

Exchange the amp for a better one...

In the $300-$400 range maybe a Vox AD30VT... there are a lot of other ones too. You will get some recommendations in here I'm sure.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Hmm, i've been hearing some negative things about that guitar. I'll prolly end up exchanging it before getting a new guitar
Quote by Viper786
Hmm, i've been hearing some negative things about that guitar. I'll prolly end up exchanging it before getting a new guitar

Did you mean amp? If you didn't, I don't understand that sentence...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Jesus christ this thread is full of fail

ITS THE AMP.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
hang on for 8 months of playing the mg is perfectly fine
hes not selling out arenas ( are you )
but a lyon by washburn your sister got at target needs to go
buy yourself a new guitar dude that guitar is made very cheaply over seas out of plywood
STAY AWAY
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by mike.h
Jesus christ this thread is full of fail

ITS THE AMP.

the gain may be turned a little too high, but those cheap pickups are going to hum with a little bit of gain when they shouldn't.

It's NOT the amp, its the single coils humming.
This is sort of like when you see a Nazi beating a child while stepping on kittens.

You can't really pick out the worst part...

Best plan of acion:

Right now: Save money
New guitar

In a While: Save Money
New Amp

Good?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Did you mean amp? If you didn't, I don't understand that sentence...

Yes sorry, i meant amp.

Quote by Øttər
his is sort of like when you see a Nazi beating a child while stepping on kittens.

You can't really pick out the worst part...

Best plan of acion:

Right now: Save money
New guitar

In a While: Save Money
New Amp

Good?

That's probably what i'll end up doing

and yes Gibshall.. the guitar was from target. Hmm and as for the amp i'm sure it's not the greatest for gigs and stuff but I just got myself a 200 dollar amp to play at home. I didn't need the best amp out there. It sounded good when i plugged a good guitar into it. I think i'll just get a new guitar by the end of the month. I just got a job at Best Buy and they opened a Musical Instruments section there. They don't have any Ibanez but they have Gibson les pauls for about 1400, they have all kinds of fenders, they have Epiphone Les pauls for 400ish.. Gibon SG standard for about 1200.

Right now i can't really afford any guitar over 500 so would an epiphone les paul be a decent choice in the 400 dollar range?
An epiphone LP would be good, honestly anything would be better than the POS Lyon you have now. My cousin has one (and never plays it, I don't even know if he knows any songs) and I played it. Absolute crap.

So ya, Id snag an epiphone LP, gibsons are WAY overpriced. If you find a nice Ibanez in that price range though that would be good too.