I hear all these things about EG pedals, saying they "tighten" up your sound, etc.

What specific differences would I notice? Does it make a vast change in your tone?

I have a Strat and a Traynor YCV50 Blue, if it matters.
They just give you more control over you tone. Unless your an audiophile, I wouldnt worry about it.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yes and yes.....worth every penny.

you can really dial in some better tones.

yeah, its more custom.

I've always wanted an eq pedal for my guitar
Quote by GuitarNinja12
They just give you more control over you tone. Unless your an audiophile, I wouldnt worry about it.

Fail

An EQ is the most useful pedal guitarist can own
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
What specific differences would I notice? Does it make a vast change in your tone?

EQ stands for equalization and equalization is the process of changing the frequency envelope of a sound... in other words, the EQ is your tone - so adding a pedal WILL vastly change your tone.
I just got a Danelectro 7 band on Thursday and I was amazed and how much better I could here the individual notes. The frequencies just sounded more true. Yes it works as a boost too. The Dano is a bit noisy but I have a noise gate and an OD pedal. If you have the budget, get one of the MXR EQ's - but the Dano for $40 is worth every penny.
Okay thanks guys - so the Fish N Chips is what you're talking about, right? I don't have enough cash for the MXR (but maybe I will save for it).

So, in relation to the 7-band, does each frequency control each string? I really don't quite understand that part? I've never had any experience with EQ pedals, so maybe someone could offer some insight?
No, it controls the exact frequency written next to the slider. When you turn a slider up that frequency is boosted and makes it cut through more. On the Dano 100 and 200 would be bass
400 would be low mids, 800 and 1k would be mids, 3.2 would be high mids and 6.4 would be treble
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Okay thanks guys - so the Fish N Chips is what you're talking about, right? I don't have enough cash for the MXR (but maybe I will save for it).

So, in relation to the 7-band, does each frequency control each string? I really don't quite understand that part? I've never had any experience with EQ pedals, so maybe someone could offer some insight?

Yes the Fish n Chips.

Kevin nailed it but here is so add to help.

You know how some amps have a 3 band EQ? Bass, Mid, and Treble?
And a 5, or 6 or 7 or 10 band EQualizer would do the same thing but with more precision.
Now picture a 24 band EQ mixer table.
Most would agree that a 6 or 7 band EQ is enough for a guitar amplifier.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yes the Fish n Chips.

Kevin nailed it but here is so add to help.

You know how some amps have a 3 band EQ? Bass, Mid, and Treble?
And a 5, or 6 or 7 or 10 band EQualizer would do the same thing but with more precision.
Now picture a 24 band EQ mixer table.
Most would agree that a 6 or 7 band EQ is enough for a guitar amplifier.

6-10 is plenty. Unless your amp is very boomy you won't use the lowest two bands on the mxr, but the 16k slider is great for a presence control.

Active eqs like eq pedals work so well because they can cut and boost. Most amps have a passive eq that can only cut, and even when turned to ten is still cutting based on the coupling cap tied to that pot, this means if the cap value was not well chosen for the amp it won't have much effect, and if the tonestack isn't well laid out it will be pretty much useless.
Quote by steven seagull
Fail

that an opinion.

but an EQ is nice to have to mess with.
Quote by steven seagull
Fail

+0129471203498712304917234

today i messed with a simple little boss one and they are incredibly useful
i can't wait to get one to use as a boost for solos and such, they really bring out a lot of volume if you want
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I hated the boss one, so much noise! Just get the fish'n chips on a budget or an MXR 10 band if you want a pwnage EQ. Getting mine soon I hope!
WTLTL 2011
I honestly don't know how i would use an eq pedal because i'm bad at dialing in shit because i grew up on a spider III ().. is there a thread for a fish n chips eq pedal that will get me started on dialing in good tone and using it as a boost?...
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Hmm, alright, I think I see what it's all about now.

So, would it be bad to get the Dano? I could save some more, but I was looking at purchasing the MXR Carbon Copy at some point, too. I'm sure the Dano could hold out, right?

EDIT: Oh, how does the MXR 6 band rate? It looks fairly inexpensive, and MXR has a good reputation... better than the Dano?
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at Nov 9, 2008,
^If you're gigging, no, it probably won't hold out. It's made from plastic so I wouldn't suggest stomping on it at all. Now, if you're just playing at home and you're not stomping on it I think it could last you a while. That being said, the mxr is a very nice pedal and should last you pretty much forever. There was a user here who had one get soaked with water and all he did was dry it out and it still works fine.

Edit: The six band misses out on level sliders, so the dano wins there. Nice thing about the ten band is it comes with an adapter, which is pretty much a necessity with an eq pedal since they draw a lot of current.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^If you're gigging, no, it probably won't hold out. It's made from plastic so I wouldn't suggest stomping on it at all. Now, if you're just playing at home and you're not stomping on it I think it could last you a while. That being said, the mxr is a very nice pedal and should last you pretty much forever. There was a user here who had one get soaked with water and all he did was dry it out and it still works fine.

Edit: The six band misses out on level sliders, so the dano wins there. Nice thing about the ten band is it comes with an adapter, which is pretty much a necessity with an eq pedal since they draw a lot of current.

I didn't realize the 10-band was only $120ish. I think I'm going to get that for Christmas, instead of new pickups. This would probably be more beneficial to my tone, correct?
The MXR will pawn the Dano stuff in most catagories except maybe price and fuzz pedals.

The Fish n Chips is actually a lot more rugged then I expected. The plasic is pretty tough and it has a metal base. To Kevin's point the sliders are very good have. I have a clip/thread from Friday that I did on my FnC and Carbon Copy if you are interested. I could probably be talked into doing a more in depth clip on each as well.

^^^To DaddyBarbs - I usually don't respond to threadjacking but the key with EQ'ing is to set your amp EQ (if it has one) to flat (5's) and then set your pedal EQ to '0' and slowly work each frequency up or down till you it is dialed in the way you like it. If you can picture a sine wave, that is pretty popular as well as scooped and frowny face. Frowny face would be pumped mids and low bass and treb freqencies. There is no Fish n Chips thread that I am aware of - but there may be a Review in the Review section of UG very very top. (Hope that helps the TS too)!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The MXR will pawn the Dano stuff in most catagories except maybe price and fuzz pedals.

The Fish n Chips is actually a lot more rugged then I expected. The plasic is pretty tough and it has a metal base. To Kevin's point the sliders are very good have. I have a clip/thread from Friday that I did on my FnC and Carbon Copy if you are interested. I could probably be talked into doing a more in depth clip on each as well.

^^^To DaddyBarbs - I usually don't respond to threadjacking but the key with EQ'ing is to set your amp EQ (if it has one) to flat (5's) and then set your pedal EQ to '0' and slowly work each frequency up or down till you it is dialed in the way you like it. If you can picture a sine wave, that is pretty popular as well as scooped and frowny face. Frowny face would be pumped mids and low bass and treb freqencies. There is no Fish n Chips thread that I am aware of - but there may be a Review in the Review section of UG very very top. (Hope that helps the TS too)!

Alright, MXR it is. You should do a more in depth, but I'm gonna check out your clip now.

EDIT: Which clip is it?
i have the fish n chips... prolly been said (i didnt read all posts) but def. run that bitch through the effects loop
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Alright, MXR it is. You should do a more in depth, but I'm gonna check out your clip now.

EDIT: Which clip is it?

5.0 pedal demo yo

not real good if your looking for a review on it. I was demo'ing all the pedals I got that night.

here's the thread
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994445