hey im still debating on ec 1000 deluxe with EMG 60/81, BUT idk if using them with my solid state roland cube 60 will make them sound unable to play anything in the "rock" genre(metal too but not ALL the time) anyone had any expirences with active pups and an amp similar to mine? thanks
I find that EMG pups sound like horse bile with solid state amps in general. The EC 1000 is available with passive Duncans, too, isn't it? It should work better with the cube.
Quote by TheQuailman
I find that EMG pups sound like horse bile with solid state amps in general. The EC 1000 is available with passive Duncans, too, isn't it? It should work better with the cube.

You've HEARD horse bile? o_o

Anyway. If you drive the preamp of a tube amp, it will give a rich, musical distortion.
If you push a solid state too hard, it will clip harshly. Not a good sound.

Get the JB and Jazz - it's a damn good combination anyway.
Quote by mongoose1285
hey im still debating on ec 1000 deluxe with EMG 60/81, BUT idk if using them with my solid state roland cube 60 will make them sound unable to play anything in the "rock" genre(metal too but not ALL the time) anyone had any expirences with active pups and an amp similar to mine? thanks

i have an 81 in my viper and it sounds fine through my cube, not as good as it would through a nice tube amp but they're bearable.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I used the EC-1000 Cube 60 setup for awhile and I can tell you it sounds fine.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
I have used active pickups with the Cube lots of times and it sounds just like an EMG should. Of course if you crank it it will clip earlier (not desirable in a SS amp) but Cubes arent meant to be cranked anyways.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
I play my Explorer with EMG's through my Peavey Vypyr 30 and it sounds fine. It's had the 18v mod done on it though and that probably helps. I usually don't have the amp turned up very loud either. Get the guitar you want and if the EMG's don't sound good swap them out for a set of passives and sell the EMG's. I would try the 18v mod before swapping the pickups. Used EMG's sell for enough to almost pay for the new passive pickups.
Quote by TheQuailman
I can tell a horse's diet by listening to it's poop. I'm the Eric Johnson of veterinary medicine.

OMFGROFL!

Quote by mongoose1285
what do you mean clip???

Clipping is when a signal becomes too big for a piece of equipment to process all of it.

What this means in terms of amps is distortion/overdrive but because of the way tubes work they clip nicely giving a pleasant tone because they clip "softly" (to do with the shape of the waveform of the sound) but digital equipment clips "hard" so it sounds very unpleasant.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
while this is the case with most amps, thats just because the majority of SS amps suck. Seeing your SS amp is pretty good though, I think it would sound fine until you bought a better amp. Try it out in a store first though, but im pretty sure it would work.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Will it work yes but if you want a more versatile guitar then go with passives. You can always put EMGs in later.
Quote by TheQuailman
I can tell a horse's diet by listening to it's poop. I'm the Eric Johnson of veterinary medicine.

i thought u were a duck

on topic i would recommend the EC-1000 with the ducans but thats just cause i am not a fan of EMGS but i mean to each his own TS
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ