yeah, thinking about fixing this guitar i have, a '69 les paul

right now, there's a million things wrong with it, but I'll just get into pickups. The reason I'm looking for two brand new pickups is that long story short, a water pipe broke in the basement 10-15 years ago (my dad can't remember) and partially submerged the guitar in water. I'm assuming and partially sure all of the electronics work in the guitar except for the pickups.

I'm getting a Seymour Duncan Alcino II APH-1 pickup for the bridge, but not sure what to get for a neck pick-up. What do you guys think would work fine with this pick-up? I'm looking for a versatile tone, but mostly for blues and classic rock. Thanks.
Last edited by sprbld417 at Nov 9, 2008,
in water > new guitar

but...

electrics never got damaged when i had guitar in the rain lol..
just let em dry..there are no circuit boards..just magnets, wires, plastic...yea maybe some rust might ruin the wires..but a rewire is fine..

also basement + '69 les paul = wtf
play it dnt leave in a basement!
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
well what sort of style do you play?Even though I'm sure your pick ups weren't affected better to be safe then sorry I suppose
you want an albnico II in the neck, slash does that.
erm, maybe a JB or a Custom Custom or a Distortion for the bridge
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Don't the Deluxes have mini-humbuckers?

You're gonna have to do some routing for a full sized humbucker to fit.

And the pickups will be working fine, they don't break as easily as you think they do, it's most likely the wiring.

But yeah, you're gonna have to do some routing for the full sized humbuckers.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I wouldn't route it if I were you - it's a Deluxe, right? Pretty sure those have minis. You'd need to do some woodwork to fit real 'buckers in there.

No... I'd get a set of these.
I'd ditch the Alnico Pro 2 idea and stick a pair of Pearly Gates in there - "because Slash uses it" isn't much of a reason to get something unless you also have ther rest of his rig set the same way and play the same way.

Pickups are nothing complex and they're no more or less susceptible to water damage than the rest of the electronics in your guitar - replace the cheaper components first before changing the pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I'd ditch the Alnico Pro 2 idea and stick a pair of Pearly Gates in there - "because Slash uses it" isn't much of a reason to get something unless you also have ther rest of his rig set the same way and play the same way.

Pickups are nothing complex and they're no more or less susceptible to water damage than the rest of the electronics in your guitar - replace the cheaper components first before changing the pickups.

Well I wasn't saying 'get an Alnico II pro because slash uses one', it was more like 'get an alnico II pro because it's a great pickup...slash happens to use one', it's sound great with a mahogony les paul. Pearly gates are gd too, I want one in my bridge position.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
If it's a vintage 69 LP I would restore it back to it's original condition if the body and neck are still solid. An all original vintage LP is worth way more than a modded one. If you do swap out all the electronics or any other original part keep them so if you ever sell the guitar you can suppy the OEM parts it makes a big difference.

I had a Stienberger that was stolen from my car and it was found in the Charles River in Boston a few weeks later after I cleaned all the slime off it and it dried out it actually still worked with the exception of the pots. A little TV tuner cleaner and they came back to life. This guitar had sat in the mud under 3' of some of the nastiest water in the Bosotn area. I thought it was going to be a total loss but it surprized me.
Last edited by johnro6659 at Nov 9, 2008,
pics
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
yeah, the pickups in the les paul are the original gibson pickup that came with the guitar in the neck, and a dimarzio pickup in the bridge that was overwound to match the frequency of the gibson, previous owner fitted it 20 years ago. The gibson needs to be rewound pretty bad, but the dimarzio is completely dead. i don't know how, but it's screwed over big time.

I was suprised to find out that this guitar is a first year edition les paul model, and if I were to have original parts it would be 10-15 thousand. I hate to remove the original parts, but I have no choice. The guitar came in cherry red sunburst, not like most goldtops, and it didn't come with mini humbuckers, or it was dished before I owned it.

I've made my decision, and I'm getting the alnico ii pros in both neck and bridge. These are fairly priced and I can do anything I want with these, genre-wise. Even after all the hell this damn things been through, the electronics are working (i think) and the neck is straight. Will get pics of it, but they're not spectacular.
Pics?
Is the neck warped is the wood swollen any where? If not restore it back to it's origional beauty. You have a guitar thats worth a couple bucks. The second you start routing guess whats going to happen to the value of that guitar.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
suprisingly, the wood has not swollen, even the part that was submerged, and the neck feels pretty damn straight to me. here's a couple of pics i took quick.

I took the bell knobs off and the bridge and tail piece, I still have those. the tuners i took off aren't the originals, they were swapped and thrown in the trash 20 years ago. and the weird chrome piece near the toggle switch plate is a piece off of a junkyard boat that my dad put on when he was out gigging, and used it as a straplock system. sort of. and that square thing actually used to be a jack plate

The white pick-up is the Gibson, the black one is the DiMarzio. The dimarzio is shot, the gibson needs to be rewound and the cover on it feels very waxy to me.
That thing is beyond epic..im so jealous. I wish my custom was vintage
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
those dont look hb minis to me?. i think the jack plate has probs maybe?
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
Are you sure it's a '69 deluxe to begin with? I can't make out the Serial No. on the headstock, but it's got regular humbuckers instead of minis and I think that's the notorious volute under the headstock which I think they only introduced in 1970.
The edge-lining is very much Deluxe though. Hmm. More pics of the headstock please ^^

As for fixing it up, I'd recommend staying as true to the original as possible (without sacrificing quality ofc). For instance by using Kluson Deluxe tuners if you can find any.

For pickups though, I was going to recommend P-90 out of sheer daftness but since there's already humbucker routing, alnico's will be fine yeah. ^^ But like some above said, keep everything you take out, and keep it somewhere safe. Also, you would want to check first if the pickups work by testing them on some other (whatever, a cheapass $30 electric) guitar because it might be just the wiring that's gone bad.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
yeah, i'm pretty sure it's a '69, but you never know. My dad swears that it's a 69. I think the guitar may have had options for mini humbuckers or not, I don't know. When I remove the pickups, I'll check to see if it was routed, because it did have a previous owner. I'm damn sure it's not the wiring, since theres nothing majorly wrong with the gibson pickup in the neck, it plays fine, except it's really muddy and really sounds pretty bad. the problem somehow isn't with the output jack.

I currently can't check if it was routed, because the screws on the mounting ring are stripped and I don't have the stuff to remove it right now. I'm on a pretty tight budget but yeah, I'm keeping everything I can on it.
Then wait until you're not on a tight budget anymore and right now only use it for practice, or, not . No use in buying half baked stuff when spending an extra $200 will make it (or keep it) worth hundreds of $ more.

Still, damaged wiring could also cause bad signal. I'd say don't take chances, check for sure what's wrong first before you start changing things. Good luck though ^^ And keep us posted. I'll check back here to see how it works out.

Also you might want to post in the Gear Customising thread for ideas/help etc.

I think we may need a LP Deluxe owners' thread in a short while
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
You got a good LP there. Believe it or not I have bought guitars like that for a couple hundred restored them and sold them for ten times what I put into them depending on the year and model.

If you can run the Serial number here

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

That will give you the place where it was built, date and production #

Too bad about the water damage but as long as the wood didn't swell or split your OK. A lot of the time when a guitar gets water damaged it weekens any glue joints and you get cracks and splits. The pups are just the regular HBs not sure what the guitar might have come with out of the factory with out knowing more about it.

I wouldn't do anything to the finish it's better to leave it. Replace all the hardware it's fairly cheap enough to replace with OEM Gibson parts Have the Gibson Pup rewound if it does need it and the hardest part would be finding a vinatge Gibby pup to replace the Dimarzio. When your done you can have a pretty decent colletors peice. I saw Gibsons in worse shape maybe a littel olded go for huge dough.

If you have a good repairman in your area take to them and just get it evaluated. My guy does that for me for free but I usually do all my own work unless I get lazy then I will bring it to him.

John
Quote by bornfidelity
Are you sure it's a '69 deluxe to begin with? I can't make out the Serial No. on the headstock, but it's got regular humbuckers instead of minis...

Going back to some research I did a while ago, LP's became available again at some point in 1968 after having been discontinued in 1960. They were all LP Deluxes, which was intended to use up a huge stock of mini HB's they ahd on hand, but you could allegedly order them fromt he factory (or rather your dealer could) with humbuckers in them. There was no LP Standard model at that time. Hard to know what pickups the guitar originally had, given that and the age unless Gibson has some record fo what it shipped with. WOuldn't hold my breath. It could have had buckers originally or it could have been routed for that after the fact. People were not in a mode of being "collectors" as much in 1969 as now.
Quote by Hydra26
People were not in a mode of being "collectors" as much in 1969 as now.

Unfortunately that is all too true.

My 58 Melody maker was destroyed when one of the prior owners did a sh*t job putting in a 70s Gibson embossed P90 they hacked the pickguard and did a horrible job hacking the body. So I didn't feel bad routing it for a Dimarzio SD later. Any true value was already gone so it wasn't a real loss. I paid $125.00 for it with HS case. In my days of collecting I came across far too many guitars people ruined because they never thought ahead. I tell people all the time if your going to mod a guitar try and keep the original parts and not hack the body. Vintage+Original=$$$$$

John
Part of me agrees with that but another part of me thinks that back then things were better, you could buy a good used guitar cheap and experiment. Also people selling used thrashed stuff and insisting they have a collector's item and charging more than new price for something without a warranty is one of my pet peeves so I tend to avoid things like ebay.

It's always nice to see an instrument that's been well maintained and a hack job never looks pleasant, but if everyone thought like a collector then noone'd try new stuff like, page, townshend, van halen, etc. Granted, there are a lot of really really bad hack jobs and I don't do a lot of mods myself.
Quote by Hydra26
Going back to some research I did a while ago, LP's became available again at some point in 1968 after having been discontinued in 1960. They were all LP Deluxes, which was intended to use up a huge stock of mini HB's they ahd on hand, but you could allegedly order them fromt he factory (or rather your dealer could) with humbuckers in them. There was no LP Standard model at that time. Hard to know what pickups the guitar originally had, given that and the age unless Gibson has some record fo what it shipped with. WOuldn't hold my breath. It could have had buckers originally or it could have been routed for that after the fact. People were not in a mode of being "collectors" as much in 1969 as now.

There was indeed no standard at that time. So it makes sense that people could order it with regular humbuckers.

I would contest though that no Les Pauls were available between 1960 and 1968?

And was it the mini buckers they had left? If I remember correctly it was the pickup cases they had left (from Epiphone)
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by Hydra26
Going back to some research I did a while ago, LP's became available again at some point in 1968 after having been discontinued in 1960. They were all LP Deluxes, which was intended to use up a huge stock of mini HB's they ahd on hand

Wait, ofcourse the SG was the Les Paul between 60-68. Never mind my previous post lol
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I'm trying as much as I can to stick to original parts and stuff, it's hard though. I mean I've been playing my squire stratocaster (I got a pretty good one actually) for a while now and my dad really wants me to just be awed by the power of this animal. also I know how to actually wire/fix a guitar more than he does and he probably can't wait to play it again.

I know about resale value, but really, this things never going to be sold. I haven't heard a single note from the damn thing and I'm more attached to it than I probably ever will be. I'll be taking this one to the grave, but know for a fact that I'll get that gibson rewound, find another vintage gibson bridge pickup, kluson tuners, just for the sake of it being that much more awesome and vintage
Take your time search online for guitar shows in your area you would be surprised at the deals you can find at those things. Check the local guitar shops and find the guitar repair shops. My guy will sell me spare parts if he has them. You can buy new Gibson parts and keep it pretty much original. One good thing about Gibson is the part really never changed much. I love rooting thru people parts sometime I might just find a couplr vintage tuners or bridge parts and I'll buy them and put them in my parts collection. A single tuner can come in handy if you need one.

I wish I kept a lot of my guitars but i sold them all off with the exception of one. None had much sentimental value but getting your from your dad is a keeper. Gibson will restore or they used to restore guitars but it will cost. $$$$ I don't know how well the value will be after a Gibson restoration.

John
Don't repaint it! and stay origonal and classic! i see so many vintage guitars at the hands of ooh lets make it shiny, which to me is like setting fire to it then blowing it up, because all your keeping is the wood, not the dings and the worn spots and such that make a vintage guitar vintage and cool.
^that too ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
****ing hell thats cool!

Leave the finish how it is!

Leave as much of the hardware as you can.

That thing looks SWEET!
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Don't repaint it! and stay origonal and classic! i see so many vintage guitars at the hands of ooh lets make it shiny, which to me is like setting fire to it then blowing it up, because all your keeping is the wood, not the dings and the worn spots and such that make a vintage guitar vintage and cool.

yeah, I'm not gonna refinish because it costs 200+ bucks, I'm going to touch it up though so it looks worn but at the same time doesn't show that it was in several inches of water for many days
SD Custom Custom in the Bridge. Works great for my Washburn
SIGNATURE
get all of the original parts... just clean up and rewind the gibson bucker, try and find another one for the bridge, find the tuners that were used and replace them, and maybe try and re-wire it with original parts. DON'T touch the finish... that is what makes this guitar special. It has a story to be told. Re-painting that sucker would just be a sin.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
alright, I finally got the humbucker mounting rings off. All of the screws on it were stripped and it was a real bitch to get both off. But I did, and got some more info.

The white pick-up, the one that works, is actually a dimarzio. I couldn't tell the black one, but I wrote down the serial number, searched it on google patents and found a bridge and tailpiece patent by Gibson. I'm a little confused and I'd like some more info about these pickups.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=zDxcAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=2737842#PPA1,M1

Will take pics later, maybe.