all pro guitarists say marshall amps are the holy grail like theyre so great
but everyone on these forums just says theyre crap
so whos right?
1. You're generalizing
2. Most people on the forums are talking about MGs.
3. Marshalls fall apart.
4. Searchbar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Solid State Marshalls generally are crap, tube marshalls are great.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
1. You're generalizing
2. Most people on the forums are talking about MGs.
3. Marshalls fall apart.
4. Searchbar.

This. Try one at your local guitarcenter and see how it is.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Meh. I like MGs, but you know...

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Probably the MG and AVT series that people talk about sucking. Mainly because they really are terrible.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
MG's arent bad for practicing if you have the cash.

Most musicians love the Marshall cabs and heads, not the MG's.

I just follow my ear. I like the 'verb on Marshalls, and all the ones I've had held up well... I don't know why everybody is always saying they fall apart. Mines travels alot, and aside from a few nicks she's still sound.

Granted, its no where near as realiable as a Roland, but i think its up to the owner to take care of they're gear
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
actually the higher end ones are great, not as good as the older ones but still great.

MGs however, sound like someone kicking a cat over and over again.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
MGs: Shit
AVTs: Shit
Anything else: Awesome
Randy Rhoads Model: ****ing brilliant.

Yeah, when you hear most people on here complaining about Marshall, we mean the MGs and AVTs. I think you'll find that most of us actually LOVE the tube models. ('specially the Randy Rhoads ;D)
Quote by Rock Pig
MGs: Shit
AVTs: Shit
Anything else: Awesome
Randy Rhoads Model: ****ing brilliant.

Yeah, when you hear most people on here complaining about Marshall, we mean the MGs and AVTs. I think you'll find that most of us actually LOVE the tube models. ('specially the Randy Rhoads ;D)

Okay, the 1959RR is a glorified JMP with a cascaded gain stage and frilly tolex. It's stupidly overpriced and definately not brilliant.

Brilliant is an original Marshall JTM 45 with Mullards.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Nov 9, 2008,
1) the cheap ones are shit
2) the good ones are far too expensive (as in, more expensive than they're worth)
3) theyre incredibly overmarketed
4) they tend to be less reliable than a lot of amp brands
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by paulseagull08
so whos right?

Because Marshall make more crap amps than good ones - if a Marshall costs less than £500 new then it's not going to be very good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The mgs are not bad there're just not great, after a couple of months you'll want to upgrade.
Epiphone G-400 Cherry Red
Vox Ad50VT
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Okay, the 1959RR is a glorified Plexi with a cascaded gain stage and frilly tolex. It's stupidly overpriced and definately not brilliant.

Brilliant is an original Marshall JTM 45 with Mullards.

It's WHITE.
It's a LITTLE BIT BEEFIER.
Really, half of it's about actually having the amp.
If I had the money, I would by the amp. Partially because it's white. Partially because it's a bit beefier. But equally because it bears the name of Randy Rhoads, and while perhaps I've succumbed to marketing, I would pay that much extra for something shiny, beefy and Randy any day
Yeah, and its gain is "just right."

Look, if I want to blow stupid amounts of money on a glorified Plexi, then blow stupid amounts of money on a glorified Plexi I shall. When I can.

Yeah. Tube Marshalls are, like, amazing. Never mind boutique amplification, Marshall is just "it" in terms of rock tone.
Quote by Rock Pig
It's WHITE.
It's a LITTLE BIT BEEFIER.
Really, half of it's about actually having the amp.
If I had the money, I would by the amp. Partially because it's white. Partially because it's a bit beefier. But equally because it bears the name of Randy Rhoads, and while perhaps I've succumbed to marketing, I would pay that much extra for something shiny, beefy and Randy any day
Yeah, and its gain is "just right."

Look, if I want to blow stupid amounts of money on a glorified Plexi, then blow stupid amounts of money on a glorified Plexi I shall. When I can.

Yeah. Tube Marshalls are, like, amazing. Never mind boutique amplification, Marshall is just "it" in terms of rock tone.

Beefier? Come on dude. If you played the thing, you'd know it's not that beefy.

You want beefy, get a Marshall with KT66s.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by jeowy
1) the cheap ones are shit
2) the good ones are far too expensive (as in, more expensive than they're worth)
3) theyre incredibly overmarketed
4) they tend to be less reliable than a lot of amp brands

I don't think so. Their special edition stuff, like the signature amps and vintage remakes are overpriced, but the current JCM and JVM line up is good value.
Everyone says MG's are shit because they're shit compared to Marshall's other, more high-end Heads and Cabs. MG's are fairly decent solid states, but most all solid states are crap compared to Tubes, anyway.

I like my MG30 combo, it's a good practice amp, but I want to get my hands on a Major or JCM 800 head and 1960 cab, then I'll be set.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by TheQuailman
I don't think so. Their special edition stuff, like the signature amps and vintage remakes are overpriced, but the current JCM and JVM line up is good value.
that depends on how highly you rate the JCM and JVM tone; the cheapest you can pick up a DSL401 combo here in the UK is about £670 (about $1000?) and theyre MADE here for Gods sake; for less than that, you can pick up all-tube bugeras, laneys, and engls, all of which, many guitarists would agree, offer a far superior tone.

The only marshalls that id consider to offer incredibly good tone would be the uber-high end stuff, which, as we've agreed, is overpriced.

---

as for the people defending the MG's - if you like the tone, then thats fine; but you shouldnt defend them with the "all solid state amps are crap" argument. Roland have made that ideology entirely obsolete with their cube series. And what about the orange micro crush? there are plenty of good, small, solid state practice amps out there.

And for jazzists, there are high-end solid state amps like polytone's, fenders, and the roland jazz chorus, not to mention the small boutique brands
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Last edited by jeowy at Nov 9, 2008,
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by paulseagull08
so whos right?

It's not that they're bad, it's just that a Marshall DSL (for example) is such a common, and therefore quite an annoying sound. Additionally, due to the huge brand-power they have, Marshall amps are way over-priced. There's really no need to own a Marshall these days. There's plenty of other amps that cost half as much and sound just as good, or better.
to be honest .. i just got a marshall haze 15 and one cabinet, prefer the clean, overdrive, versatility and portability of my 5 quid hohner solid state amp.. plus it's a lot more reliable
Yes, this four-year-old thread really needed to be resurrected.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Holy necrobump Batman! 4 year old thread...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin