Question that ive pondered with for a while, get a bass with active pick-ups or not? i know there are some factors to be included like money, what your gonna play, and what brand your looking at etc. give it to me in terms off all around goodness, like which one is the mario of the group (he was always balanced in the games, but thats besides the world) give some reasons from each side.
the big question is if u can stand changing batteries

if yes, active
if no, passive
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
yeah i got that but is that the biggest issue that these 2 types of basses hold?
I have a 5 string, and I've found that a passive set of pickups won't, well, pickup the B string as well as an active set. If your tone is really bassy, then active pickups translate that much better.
well the thing is i have and do play a wide varity of music. i have a hard core band and we pay in drop d area and an indie band which is standard and in church which varies. some times i lose a lot of volume and "ump" if you know what i mean. suggestions of solving such things?
Active pickups will give you a very modern tone, a 'hot' tone, very punch if you EQ it right, but are still very versatile. Passive pickups are good for that vintage vibe, but are still pretty versatile, just not as punchy as active pickups. And contrary to popular belief, you don't have to change the battery a lot. As long as you leave the bass unplugged, you'll only need to replace them/it every 6 months or so, depending on how often you play.

it's your call really, we can't decide for you.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
personnally i prefer an active preamp. i think its alot more versatile. actice are good but i feel you can do alot more passive pickups and active eq.. But im not sure if you can have active pickups and preamo toghter does anyone know.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I play passive pickups and active preamps anymore. I kind of wanted to take the active preamp out though as I like my tube amp and the preamp in my bass just didn't sound the way I wanted it. I just left it flat all the time and so the battery was just an annoyance. Last week at practice we were playing Tom Sawyer by rush and I found that if I turned the treble on my bass all the way up and played with an aggresive finger style I could get pretty close to the dirty tone during the solo.

Also, whenever I play on active pickups I feel the sound is very punchy but too...dry i guess is the word. The notes don't sing the way I like.

Pretty much what I'm saying is I prefer the passives with active preamp because I get a nice full tone but can get more punch or even overdrive if I use my preamp. Mind you I only get overdrive because my amp has tubes instead of being solid-state.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i put an 18v set of emgs in my P-bass and it did wonders for my tone. It really boosted my lows and mids, which gave me alot more versatility with my tone
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
ACTIVE
usually better tone control
needs battery change
great versatility
modern sound

PASSIVE
simpler tone controls usually
never needs battery
stronger mids
vintage sound

I personally prefer active.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
i put an 18v set of emgs in my P-bass and it did wonders for my tone. It really boosted my lows and mids, which gave me alot more versatility with my tone

I'll agree with what's been said before about active vs passive. But I'm finding with my 9v BCRich vs my 18v Ibanez BTB, that the Ibanez has more of everything. More voltage = more beast, evidently. Pity, tho' that the 18v output shows up dodgy leads, can't be used with regular effects, and is my only bass that needs plugged into my amp's high impedance input. Just a minor point or two then...
For me, it isn't a one or the other..its a matter of which tone is best for the song. This is why I own an active AND a passive bass. I think my active fretted bass sounds wrong for trad jazz and some old school Motown stuff, so I keep a passive.
well shit you kids just surpass some of my knowledge on this but for the most point what im hearing is that im gonna have to stir some crap up if i want to have my cake and eat it to. whateve, so be it.
Quote by anarkee
For me, it isn't a one or the other..its a matter of which tone is best for the song. This is why I own an active AND a passive bass. I think my active fretted bass sounds wrong for trad jazz and some old school Motown stuff, so I keep a passive.

I used my active warwick and Jaguar bass all the time to play jazz. Makes me stands out more and gives the bass a different sound in the band.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
My Ibanez is a bit too bright and in the words of my jazz guitarist "too rock" sounding for traditional jazz. It works well in fusion and some be-bop though. If I'm playing the traditional thump-y walking bass line the Precision with flats is perfect.

And you really need to stop saying that, lol. You'll just add fuel to the fire to Mr. Tam's argument that bassists only REALLY need one bass and not three. Or four.
Quote by anarkee
My Ibanez is a bit too bright and in the words of my jazz guitarist "too rock" sounding for traditional jazz. It works well in fusion and some be-bop though. If I'm playing the traditional thump-y walking bass line the Precision with flats is perfect.

And you really need to stop saying that, lol. You'll just add fuel to the fire to Mr. Tam's argument that bassists only REALLY need one bass and not three. Or four.

hmm. tell him to sell all his drums buy a conga. he doesn't need those other drums anyway.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I would go active. They are quieter, more punchy and seem to have a bit better attack.
Quote by Tempoe
I would go active. They are quieter, more punchy and seem to have a bit better attack.

quieter? explain?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

well. since active pickups put out a stronger signal they will be louder.... well, louder at the same amp settings. not much but sometimes the tonal difference tricks the ears and it's a good bit louder. My 6-string samick with active pickups is perceptibly louder than my ibanez with passive pups.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Changing batteries? I've only changed the batteries in my guitar once in the past year...
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Get active electronics.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
yeah ive never seen it as quieter. its has this sharper sound to make it stand out but ive never seen it as quieter. so for real on this, what the motha trucka?
Quote by Tempoe

Quote by the humanity
quieter? explain?

The extra voltage from the output helps eliminate interference. So no more AM radio...
Quote by creepingjesus73
The extra voltage from the output helps eliminate interference. So no more AM radio...

he didn't say interference free though.

oh well...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by creepingjesus73
I kinda assumed thats what he meant. Electrically quieter. I know from experience, 'cos the mains in my house is tres noisy!

ah. I need to stop taking people literally.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard