i just bought a used jcm800 a week ago
and suddenly
when i was playing, it turned off slowly and then nothing!
What should i do? And what is the cause?
Does it still turn on?
Are the tubes still glowing?
Do you hear any air coming from the speakers?
Take the amp out of the chassis and look for anything burnt.
Is your guitar volume up?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
the red light turn off
my guitar is effectively open at 10
it doesn't turn on anymore

i think i gonna open it
i'm not stupid...
i think i'm gonna to my local store and see what they think
alright, just making sure.

i've heard people say they are gonna look inside the amp, mess around a bit with the tubes, and general poking around, and yet they were not aware that there are fatally dangerous voltages stored up. they thought that just because the amp is not plugged in they were safe against getting shocked.
Does any of the status lights come on at all? Completely unresponsive?

My ultra died that way, i replaced the mains fuse and it was fine. If its completely unresponsive to anything I would imagine you have a similar problem. If you open it, don't touch anything if you're not sure what it is, you could kill yourself. I would say to replace the mains fuse and see what happens. It normally blows because of something else(mine was bad power tubes)

But I think that's something you could at least wait a few days for the voltages to go away, then at least see if it works. Fuses are dirt cheap, we're talking $0.xx

i'm not stupid...
i think i'm gonna to my local store and see what they think

Well you did say YOU were gonna try to open it
If the light is off, then either the mains fuse is out or the bulb is out, but since you said the amp itself isn't working, I'd put my money on the fuse. That is easily changed from the rear of the amp. Check that first. Buy a new one of the same spec from radioshack. You seriously do not need a tech to change the fuse.

Now if the fuse continues to blow, there are other problems, THEN you need to get a tech to check it out.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 9, 2008,
^ i'd listen to him, he knows what he's talking about.

slash_edit: haha, al you're @ chapel hill eh? i didn't even know you were in NC till i saw your profile! i'm @ ECU, what are you majoring in?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
i have been to my local store and they talked about fuse. They only press on the reset button behind and it solves the problem, they said if it starts again to comeback, and see what could be the problem. they also talk of bad power tube or it was my electricity, but now it is working...
thx for your help...
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^ i'd listen to him, he knows what he's talking about.

slash_edit: haha, al you're @ chapel hill eh? i didn't even know you were in NC till i saw your profile! i'm @ ECU, what are you majoring in?

I'm majoring in chemistry and biology. What about you?
construction management. wow have fun with your major....i'd hang myself hahaha.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I know, I'm not a huge fan to be honest, but its sort of the standard these days for pre-meds (ugh..), but I mean, I manage to keep my grades and still go out when the time calls for it, I've seen a few other NC'ers around this site though, I take it that you're from NC?
yea, practically raised in jacksonville my whole life. born in Marietta, GA but moved to NC in less than a year. ah, i see you're planning on going to med school, then that makes sense. 7 years in schoolin will make for a nice fat paycheck however. there won't be a single guitar/amp you can't afford .
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
to come back to my problem
i crank my amp (master at 8 or 9) and it have done it again
and i smelt behind and it smells burnt
and then
i press reset and put the master a 6-7
and it went well... but still smelt burnt behind...
even at 6 it changes nothing i'm gonna see if they can do somthing friday...
that's your best bet. it's a great marshall so it's worth investing a lil money to fix.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH