It's coming up to my 18th birthday soon and I'm thinking of getting a new bass.
It's seriously not even mentioning the bass i have atm as its so bad

My price limit is around £500 ($1000?)

I'd like something thats pretty versatile as I play lots of different styles of music, but atm its more stuff like RHCP.

Any ideas at all?
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
Fender highway one jazz bass

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-Highway-One-Jazz-Bass-(Upgrade)-RW~ID~6296.asp

and from a trusted site.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-Deluxe-Jazz-Bass-24,-TSB~ID~6408.asp

this is the one i have exept in cherry sunburst. its better and alot more versatile exept the pickups arent noiseless.

These two bass's are very versatile and nice to play.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Nov 9, 2008,
You can't really go wrong with a jazz bass.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I'd go with a Stingray if you have the money for it, which you seem to have, they're great for RHCP. I'd be playing one now if I had the money but I got a MIM jazz instead, it's very versatile but I don't think it compares to the punch you get from slapping a Ray.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
look at a used Stingray or a SUB Stingray. way better for chilis.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Maybe you shouldn't go for just a bass, but look for something above basic; for example, maybe try 5 strings, and fretless, and stuff like that. Just saying.
Quote by the humanity
look at a used Stingray or a SUB Stingray. way better for chilis.

100% agree, you'll want a MM if you want a sound similar to RHCP, even if he does use a Jazz a lot.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Try a Fender Jaguar Bass, you won't be dissapointed, those things are amazing.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I'd also like suggestions for a new bass ( I dont want to make a new thread for th same subject)

I play most Grunge/Post Grunge stuff w/ my band, but have been known to play other stuff for fun. Any ideas? I need something w/ a suitable tone for what Id be playing, and if possibly something thats not extreamly heavy.
Quote by DeltaFunk
Try a Fender Jaguar Bass, you won't be dissapointed, those things are amazing.

I was disappointed. the necks are sticky. even for poly.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
For RHCP, a used MM Stingray or Sterling would be ideal and probably fit within your budget. if you can't find one cheap enough, and Ibanez ATK is quite close tonally. Also, a jazz 24 is very versatile and quite reasonably priced, and more versatile for playing other stuff, in addition to having a great slap tone. Plus, I'm probably just spoiled, but I can't stand having less than 24 frets. It's probably out of habit, I've owned a total of 4 basses and all but one had 24 frets. Getting a 5 string version of either bass instead would be a good idea too. It depends what you're currently using. If it's a cheap starter bass, then a 5er is not necessarily a good idea. If it's a decent, intermediate level bass or better, and you're looking for a new toy to play with (nothing wrong with that, It's the reason I got a Fatman instead of a "normal" bass distortion), then a 5er would open up a lot of new tonal options for you.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
He DOES NOT have the money for a Stingray. in the Uk Stingrays cost about £1000-£1500 ($2000-$2500).
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fleajr_1412
He DOES NOT have the money for a Stingray. in the Uk Stingrays cost about £1000-£1500 ($2000-$2500).

Oh wow, that was stupid, we should have mentioned "used stingrays" or SUB stingrays, oh wait, we have.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Jonn0
Oh wow, that was stupid, we should have mentioned "used stingrays" or SUB stingrays, oh wait, we have.

There's no need for sarcasm. I was just pointing that out to the people that have mentioned Stingrays, and he still wouldn't have enough for a used one, unless he's very lucky. And of course he could try out SUB's, I was just pointing out that he wouldn't have enough to get a genuine Stingray. There's no need to get pissy about it.
Quote by skater dan0
i like ibanez ATKs, they have a very versatile tone from a jazz bass punch to a p-bass' warm tone and everything in between, G&Ls L2000 series is nice too
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
In reference to the above poster about SUBs, often you can find one for around £300/380 on Ebay but more often then not they'll be extortionally priced, at like £700/600 which is in the area of buying a used stingray/sterling.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
The Brubaker Brute looks pretty cool to me, and is offered in J/MM configuration (Right up your alley). I'm sure one of their dealers would be able to get it across the pond if you call them.
Nope, no sig here.
Sick ESP bass here
ESP F-404
Quote by Insanitydenied
I try to be the quiet musician type, but there's too much to say.

OF THE BASS MILITIA - PM Nutter_101 to join

FUCK PARAMORE.

HOT LESBIANS

Centered, Bitch.

Yes, I'm only 14. So?
Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys

A MM was an ideal for me, but I couldn't find one for less than £1200
As soon as i get hold of the money I'll get one
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
Quote by Casually_Spoken
Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys

A MM was an ideal for me, but I couldn't find one for less than £1200
As soon as i get hold of the money I'll get one

already posted this on the first site of this thread. at the very bottom.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2