Last night, I took off the back panel of my amp and unplugged the stock speaker input so that my amp would just play through my new cab.

I left the panel off, and I was loving the tone i was getting from my cab, it sounded great witht eh Celestions and sheffields not mixing, ugh. I actually found it acceptable to my tastes.

Well, when i got home, i screwed the panel back on and played a bit this afternoon. well for some reason, my tone seems to suck!

i left the stock speakers unplugged, so its still just my cab emitting sound, but what could the problem be?

surely not the panel being screwed back on?!

i alwasy seem to ahve this problem with my amps: great tone one day, bad tone another. im sick of it

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
Last night, I took off the back panel of my amp and unplugged the stock speaker input so that my amp would just play through my new cab.

I left the panel off, and I was loving the tone i was getting from my cab, it sounded great witht eh Celestions and sheffields not mixing, ugh. I actually found it acceptable to my tastes.

Well, when i got home, i screwed the panel back on and played a bit this afternoon. well for some reason, my tone seems to suck!

i left the stock speakers unplugged, so its still just my cab emitting sound, but what could the problem be?

surely not the panel being screwed back on?!

i alwasy seem to ahve this problem with my amps: great tone one day, bad tone another. im sick of it

Different rooms can make an amp sound different, having the amp not turned up as high may not have helped either.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
but could the back panel really be the problem?

i mean, all it seems to be doing is protecting the tubes and transistors from damage.

and i was playing in the same place as yesterday; my room, at around volume 2-3

all my EQ was the same, cables were secured, the only change was the panel put back on

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
but could the back panel really be the problem?

i mean, all it seems to be doing is protecting the tubes and transistors from damage.

and i was playing in the same place as yesterday; my room, at around volume 2-3

all my EQ was the same, cables were secured, the only change was the panel put back on

you answered your own question.

And yes, the panel really does make that big of difference. I did the same with my dad's ampeg. Surprising how a sheet of wood alters tone, huh?

:P
That's really strange!! i just took off the panel again, and the tone sounds good again

hmm, well, i guess its staying off until i get a head haha

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Yup, you're significantly altering the resonant properties of the cabinet when you take the back panel off. Also try moving the amp into the centre of the room, and compare it to how it sounds when up against a wall. Stuff like that can make a huge difference.
wow, i never really thought about that before.

oh and to ^

do you mean the CAB can sound differently by my AMP having it's back panel off?

huh... fascinating

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
oh and to ^

do you mean the CAB can sound differently by my AMP having it's back panel off?

huh... fascinating

Damn, I didn't read your post properly then, I assumed you were using a combo. The amp head cabinet will not affect the speaker cabinet in any way.
Anyway, there's lots of things that can change your sound from day to day, temperature and humidity being a couple of big factors. Since it's a tube amp, it will take about 15-20 minutes after your turn it on before it has finished warming up completely, and you should notice the tone rounding out a bit over that time.